Morristown West at Sullivan South

pumpkinhead1989

Congrats Rebels!

Yes, Comp, I made another Rebel game. Enjoyed another great performance by the Rebs, including Curt, the O-Line, the D 'backers, etc etc. The Rebs certainly seem to be able to take whatever they are given at this point in the season. Yes, Curt Phillips is certainly the head and shoulders best canidate for Mr.Football back in 4A, but anyone who has seen the Rebs play can't say they are a one-player team. So many players contribute. They have really come into their own. Phillips is the tip of the spearhead, with Fletcher as a cutting edge.

I have to say I was really dissappointed in the West preparedness for this game. Falls right on the shoulders of everyones favorite, Don Woods. Last week it seemed like M.East had studied all the South game films and came in with a plan. Coach Woods & West on the other hand, started with a very strange defensive set. Basically, West chose to cover the slot receiver with a LB set up inside 5-10 yards and 5-10 yards deep. LOL! I believe the slot receiver for South, Houston Martin, had 11 catches for a single game school record 200+ receiving yards. Nice job coach! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> West did pack it in the middle, in attempts to stop a repeat of Taylor "Spin Doctor" Fletcher's run attack of M.East. Doggone that left the sidelines and deep open. Also helped Curt, once he passed the neutral zone he often had one or two defenders to beat, and we all know what happens then. But, South has so many weapons, I guess you do have to pick your poison.

Dang, what a juke Curt put on the MW LB on the first long td run. The MW backer met Curt about a yard behind the line but got his ankles broke to go along with his arm tackle. All that was left then was a vapor trail for the West players to chase. Heard it smelled like cheese.

The local (local to NET) referee crew certainly dissappointed me as well. The obvious repeated unsportsmanlike infractions against Morristown West, is partially their fault. When you ref a game as timid as the linesman did on the South side did, and don't do any preventative reffing, that's what you get. The kid that kicked Fletcher, and this cannot be disputed by anyone that it happened and was intentional, should have been immediately tossed. Right in front of the very slow and very round umpire. There were several flat out missed calls both ways as well. The very first West offensive play, the running back took two steps forward as the ball was snapped. Obvious procedure call, directly in front of the white hat referee. This was the easiest call to make I have seen all season and nothing. WOW! With only two games for this area's refs to work last night, is that the best your group can field? Please do more to stop the flagrant stuff and the intentional attempts to hurt opposing players. Maybe if you inforced the rules as written and tossed a few players, the extra stuff would not go on and people like myself would shut up.

Morristown West, you have a very good football program and I'm sure some great kids, but, when you allow a few players to play as intentionally dirty as you allowed it really reflects on your entire team and school. Coach Woods is all on you. Also, hanging the huge sign to face the South stands is really low class. Who cares who designed the sign. Do you think a sign that says all South does is run their Mouth helps your chances in the game or inspires your team? Yes, I realize Mouth ryhmes with South. Just low class there. Hopefully, someone in the administration at West will look into it enough to prevent it in the future. It does relect on your entire school and city.

Oh, and by the way, for the fan from Maryville - the comment on here referencing Maryville about one or two pages back wasn't from a South homer. I believe you said to be careful what you asked for. Well, I believe it was a TN High player, but I'm not going back to check. I don't know the coaches at South personally, nor very many of the players or parents, but I know this - They will NOT be overlooking GreenEville this week. looking forward to Maryville. I have heard it for weeks now how they want the rematch with the GreenE Devils. So they will get it Friday, in frigid Death Valley. As I stated before, most of the praise and a great deal of the "jawwin" in regards to South isn't from South homers. Heck, I'm not a South homer although I have attended my fair share of their games. (Again have a cous' who plays at DB, but I hate that DB is always traveling so friggin' far away for their 5A games) Oh, and by the way, you guys have a talented Red Bank team to be getting ready for, why are you reading a South thread anyway? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

We appreciate all your support Pudding. Did you see the MoEast game? Pretty smart of Stacy to give them (MoWest) a game film full of the wrong stuff.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job rebs!! went to the game last night and what was up with the defensive scheme for west...I mean they did,nt think Curt could throw the ball...hellooo...Jeeezz. But anyway thats the the way a team starts a game awesome job. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

On a side note i have seen allot of teams play this year and i believe West has the slowest defense that i have seen this year /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

They did not miss it. They ignored it. It was #5 Clint Phillips that stripped it. And he had the ball before the whistle blew and before anbody hit the turf. We get that ball we score! You fumble...we capitolize! Terrible officiating. Also, the face mask penalty. What a joke! It was no face mask.

I have seen that facemask call all year. It must be a rule change we fans are unaware of. I always thought you had to actually grab the facemask not just rub your hand over it. Maybe if we don't know any of the rules we could enjoy the game more... well we would at least be on the same wavelength as the officials.

I have seen that facemask call all year. It must be a rule change we fans are unaware of. I always thought you had to actually grab the facemask not just rub your hand over it. Maybe if we don't know any of the rules we could enjoy the game more... well we would at least be on the same wavelength as the officials.

I think the refs should start sitting in the stands instead of on the field. I hear you can see alot more from up there

Great job Rebs!! way to go, you all earned it and played hard for the victory. Mo. West I myself was dissappointed at the unsportsmanlike calls at the end of the game, and the sign was not very classy, I will have to agree with the rest of the people, Thanks for the apology from the Trojan fan that posted a little earlier, that is the class from Mo. West that we are used too, hats off to a good season for the Trojans, and wish you all the best of luck next year!!!

Keep on rollin Rebs, next up are those green devils, bear down and buck it up fellas, and lets play some FOOTBALL!!!

ROLLIN, ROLLIN ROLLIN!!!!

JDRebel, you have a good post there. I think it was nice of the Trojan to offer up an apology. Shows class on his part. I was at the game and was amazed at the sign when I walked in. I have thought about this and have only one comment to add regardng the sign, the personal fouls, and the lack of sportsmanship. Adults lead the way for these young people or should. Somewhere a cheerleader sponsor should have vetoed that sign. But she chose to let it pass. The coaching staff should have better guided their young men. The refs should have been more focused on the calls. Our young people deserve better than what they got last night. I think the Rebels are under the most mature, well-developed coaching staff around. That's why the Rebels are classy young men on and off the field.....all of them. They are led by example. I think in this matter the adults should have stepped up and done a better job. It's a sad state when adults fail the young men and women in their charge. They can certainly change the course of a life. Many have forgotten that part of football.

You know...I normally keep my mouth shut about a lot of the trash talking and "personal opinions" that are posted on here, let it roll off one side and down the other. You guys have said a lot of correct things: 1) Curt Phillips is an outstanding QB, and I cannot fathom a reason why no SEC teams or the like looked at this kid. 2) South whooped West up and down the field, no doubt. 3) the officiating was very suspect on BOTH sides, and the personal fouls were uncalled for.

HOWEVER, to disrespect a great man and head coach in Don Woods is down right shameful and idiotic. In all the history of West football, they had THREE playoff appearances before his arrival in 1997. Since then he has only enhanced the football program, heck the entire athletics program at Morristown West. The man has won 10 Five Rivers championships in the 11 seasons he has been there. He has graduated countless young men who have gone on to be outstanding citizens. The 2007 Trojans had 90% of their guys on the honor roll. The graduating senior class had over 30 victories for their entire careers. Don Woods is a very kind, caring Christian person who only enhances the quality of life around him, and loves the game of football. And to question his decision-making and play-calling is unthinkable. Last I checked...he beat South three times very handily before this past Friday.

All the credit to Sullivan South. Great team you guys have. As a graduate of William Blount...I hope you guys defeat Greeneville because of Maryville gets by Red Bank, you are the last hope to knock of the Red Rebels of Maryville. Good luck to South the rest of the way.

I think the refs should start sitting in the stands instead of on the field. I hear you can see alot more from up there

WOW! What a concept. You should suggest that to the TSSAA. Brilliant I tell you, just brilliant, you are a clever one. But then you Green Devils sure do like to talk smack from what I've seen on here. Never been a big fan of talking smack because it always comes back and slaps you silly.

WOW! What a concept. You should suggest that to the TSSAA. Brilliant I tell you, just brilliant, you are a clever one. But then you Green Devils sure do like to talk smack from what I've seen on here. Never been a big fan of talking smack because it always comes back and slaps you silly.

Well i guess you didn't see the Greeneville vs East tread from round 1 did ya. Look it up an tell us what teams came on an was talking crap. Since i know you will not do it i will just tell you. Sullivan south fans an TN High fans were on there making all kinds of noise.

#1 there was no fight, #2 we didn`t start any of it, #3 its was ALL Pee Wee's fault ,coming to the defense of a teamate is not starting a fight(which the TSSAA agreed with btw. Tearing down signs on our side of the field after a game?????? Is that the best you have, if so thats really weak. So you have 1 year of players coming onto the field and and tearing down signs at the end of games, while on the other side there is darn near 10 years of completely classes behavior?

Shall we do some review just off the top of my head?

2007-Coach Woods refusing to shake hands with Coach Anderson after the game

2006- 4 personal foul penalties, West flashes a banner to the Jeff County side stating "Hey Eu, thanks for Rabbit" held by Morristown West freshman players.

2004- Mo West player hits a William Blount player below the belt sparking a schuffle between the 2 teams, said player gets on this site and brags about what he did.

2003- Morristown West thug attacks Jeff County QB after taking a knee resulting in the expulsion and the suspension of two Jeff County players.

2002-several shuffles result as a result of late hits and trash talking by Mo West players in both games against Greenville. I believe several players were ejected from both teams that year.

If we interviewed any other school that plays Mo West on a regular basis this list would go on and on

Unfortunately true.

M-W is a dirty team and they are a reflection of what Don Woods coaches. He is well known as the "worst sportsman" among regional coaches on the sidelines. Ask any referee who will talk off the record.

That said, they are also well coached, tough, physical, and prepared. They are also the premier program over the past 7 years northeast of Knoxville year in - year out, with the possible exception of Hampton. Apologies to THS and D-B but the truth hurts.

south good job on the win firday, good luck!!!and the guy from jeff..im sry but no one from jeff has class..but the rest of it..its football everyone on the feild is going to talk smack its just part of the game..and yes "we" the WEST players dont like to lose at all so we may let out actions take over 4 a lil bit but i will asure you that coach woods will let us konw about it.he is a GREAT coach!!!!

south good job on the win firday, good luck!!!and the guy from jeff..im sry but no one from jeff has class..but the rest of it..its football everyone on the feild is going to talk smack its just part of the game..and yes "we" the WEST players dont like to lose at all so we may let out actions take over 4 a lil bit but i will asure you that coach woods will let us konw about it.he is a GREAT coach!!!!

Care to provide some examples?

Seems like everythime Morristown West gets beat by Jefferson County they start this stuff about JC not having any class. This is typical of the the trojan Nation as they like to be called. West high actions have taken over more than

few times over the 20+ years I have watched JCHS and M-West battle on friday nights. When West is losing look out!!

So don't call someone classless before you look in the mirrow and see what is looking back. As far as Coach

Woods is concerned..........I'll let someone who has first hand knowledge about him to vent.

So this fall when the Patriots play host to M-West, lets leave this classless stuff at home and enjoy the game.

GO BLUE !!!