Funniest football moment

donhaney

Let's hear yours? I have seen many in the last 30 years but the most hilarious that I can recall was in 1970. Our football program at this time was in the throes of a downward spiral, we had gone 0-10 in 1969, 0-9 in 1970. Our football team had only sixteen players. We were playing TPS, who would eventualy win the State Championship that year. We were beaten 78-0!

Our situation was so bleak that our punter played with his arm in a sling, this is true, I can get verification..lol He had suffered a dislocated shoulder but he would go in and punt, pull the arm out of the sling, somehow catch the snap and then drop it with one hand and hope like the dickens he could get the kick away without being mauled!

Our situation became so bleak that late in the fourth quarter, we had six guys injured to the point they didn't want to go back in the game. The head coach searches the sidelines for a freshman that is fixin to be inserted into the defensive line, opposite a 290 pound all state tackle for TPS who went on to star in college. Thing is, this freshmen is around 115 pounds soaking wet and wants no part of it! The coaches are screaming for him and then the players start searching but he can't be located. One of the injured guys is forced back in to finish the game and a few minutes later, the freshman is found....

Underneath an equipment bench with two large duffel bags full of balls and equipment concealing his hidden place of refuge! He has never lived it down but in hindsight I always think of the famous saying... "discretion is the better part of valor!"

Wheeeeee!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a freshamn in 1999, we were playing Hardin Co and beating them pretty bad I think it was like 48-0. So our worst players we had were in there and we had a kid at safety that had got hurt in our first practice and didn't get to play until this game, anyway the Hardin Co RB broke it up the middle and this kid who was playing safety came up to tackle him but instead jumped at him for some reason and it looked like he was trying to drop kick him. It was hilarious.

When I was at MTSU, our big rival game was with Tennessee Tech. At the time, neither team was all that good. This particular year the game was at Cookeville. In the last couple of minutes of the game, MTSU had the game in hand and there were several MTSU students who came down onto the sidelines in the last minute of the game. While we were down there an assistant coach turned to a player who obviously didn`t get to play much and said "(Player`s name)do you want to go in the game?" to which he replied "yeah coach, but on the next play". As he waited to enter the game you could tell by the way he was fidgeting that he was nervous. He turned to where we were standing and saw that my friend was smoking a cigarette and begged him to let him have a draw on it. My stunned friend then handed him the cigarette and the player took a big hit off it and promptly ran onto the field for the last play of the game. We had a big laugh over that one.

A few years ago I was coaching defensive line at a AAA school. We had a deaf NT (great athlete) who had broken one of his hands and sprained some fingers on the other. Both hands were taped up like a club. We placed him at NT so he could watch the ball as it was snapped, knowing he would never move until the ball moved. During a play near the end of the first half, the REF called him for jumping offsides. Then a few plays later, the same REF called him for a personal foul. When asked at halftime the REF said the boy had grabbed the QB's ######s when he was in the pile and the REF was trying to warn him about keeping his hands to himself. After the game I walked the player up to the REF (a guy I knew) and I asked him if this was the boy who had grabbed the QB and was drawn offsides by the sound the QB's cadence? He looked at the kid and said, "yeah... that's him." The player was standing with his hands behind his back facing the REF. In sign language his brother told him to show the referee his hands, they were still taped up from the game. Then he asked him (in sign) to shake hands with the referee. The referee felt about 2' tall and said he must have made a mistake! We laughed about that every time we saw that referee for two or three years!

Playing running back for the Soddy-Daisy Trojans as a jr in 1970, we played Central at their place. There were 2 guys that moved out there from Soddy-Daisy so this was really a grudge game. They had talked trash all week about how they were going to kill us. Trash talking went on the whole game. With about 1 minute left and us up by 14, I ran a sweep to their side. They had no TO's left. Not wanting to get run out of bounds, I cut back and dropped to my knees. A guy plowed me under after the whistle and the fight broke out. Both sidelines emptied and I found myself on top of the guy who plowed me. Suddenly, I felt this deep pain in my back. I turned and a dude on crutches was letting me have it with a crutch. Yes, it hurt ,but it is funny now. Anyway, our def end came flying over me and absolutely drove the crutch boy into the fence. We have this on game film and my lovely wife found the old films a few years ago and had it copied onto VHS. Now that my son plays, he really gets a kick out of this when I play it. So do I.

When we played in a team in the playoffs we tackled their starting runningback and my friend decided to punch him in the groin...The RB on the ground shot like a cannon up in the air and said some guy just grabbed my _____ the referees didn't know what to do and warned us not to do that again. Then they did a dive and my friend this time did it again...the RB looked around, pointed at me (I happened to be on my knees trying to get up after the tackle, and then the RB kicked me in the chest to the ground). My friend who was the criminal said "Gosh, what were you thinking." In fact, the whole team got on to me because they thought we were going to get penalized, I had to explain to the coaches and the rest of the players, it was my other friend, who later admitted it after a good laugh.

I just remembered this one from a few years back. we had a very talented, but obnoxious young sophomore who thought he was God's Gift to football. He was tall and lanky and could run a 4-5 40 (honest). We had a JV game one sunny afternoon at Giles County and we needed a big play. We lined down in a Slot Left, then put him in motion across the field to the right. The QB dropped back with a play action pass and threw the ball deep. The young GC CB had slipped out of zone coverage to stop the run (he bought the play-action fake hook, line, and sinker). This young 10th grader was wide open and our QB released the ball right into his hands forty yards down field (all by himself). The WR caught the ball and sprinted toward the end zone until he realized he was all alone. He turned to the opposing sideline and grandstand and began taunting the crowd as he had seen "Prime-Time" do on TV. Then he walked backwards into what he perceived to be the end zone and spiked the ball in victory! THE ONLY PROBLEM WAS HE WAS FIVE YARDS SHORT OF THE GOAL LINE! The Bobcats recovered the ball and took possession with 3 minutes left and we had no timeouts. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a JV game I would have been furious, but all I could do was laugh with the 100 or so fans who were rolling in the stands. He was vain enough to think he had scored and they were happy for his performance. Needless to say, we never let him live it down when he moved up to varsity!

Last year I was at one of our middle school's scrimmage games and one of our kids had broke away for like a 80 yard run and he spiked the ball also when he got to what he thought was the endzone, but it was also the five yard line and the other team recovered it, he got a good jerking from the coach and then the coach started laughing because it was so funny. I think it was this kids first game.

one time in middle school a few years back, i was playing quarterback and we had just came out of a timeout and we lined up and did not huddle. Well on defense I played free saftey and I guess I had lost my mind, but I was lined up 15 yards back behind the center like i was on defense, but we were on offense and I just kinda stood there and everyone looked at me and then we had to call timeout again. To cover up I said that I was waiting on everyone to huddle up but the truth is I got mixed up and lost my mind and thought we were on defense. I think this is the first time I've admitted to this but It was pretty funny.

ELA- you gotta try this some time. If you do, let me know so I can be there:

This was in South Carolina, many years ago, in either the state finals or semis, I can't remember now. Opening kickoff, the kicking team broke the huddle and three of their players ran back to their own end zone. Referee blew the whistle and they picked up this great big kid, hung him from the goal post, and ran back to their position. The kid dropped from the goalpost and started running toward the ball, getting slower and slower as he went. About ten yards from the ball he fell flat on his face. The whole place including the opposing team laughed, nervously, as the kid just laid there. One of his teammates then walked up and kicked the most perfect onside kick you ever saw.

This was about in 1992 when my high school ezell was playin Columbia Academy. Early in the first half We were runnin a power sweep against them and our runnin back was tackled from behind and slung down. As he fell he put his hand down to try to keep his balance, and as he did his elbow popped ouuta place(Ouch!!!). As i go runnin to help him up i noticed that somethin was teribbly wrong as he rithed in abvious pain i noticed his elbow was in the WAY wrong direction and quickly called for help from the sidelines. All that was not funny but as the head coach and trainer ran on the field, the head coach leaned over him (with his arm completely twisted still) and said " ______ son! Whats wrong You got Cramps?" in his slurred speech. Wasnt too funny at the time but lookin back hilarious.

Another one we were playin Spring Hill in a close game and my best friend didnt brak one arm he broke one arm and one wrist on the other arm. As they are helpin him of the field i hear him sayin " DOnt Cut My gloves off i payed 20 bucks for them. I almost diead laughin.

High School Football is great.

[Edited by Chakra20 on 6/10/02 9:21A]

[Edited by Chakra20 on 6/10/02 9:23A]