• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roll Tide !!!!!

The magic 8 ball was right

Tide lands a top Tennessee defender

Even though Dont'a Hightower committed to Alabama over Vanderbilt this morning, the linebacker/defensive end from Lewisburg-Marshall County, Tennessee was pretty much sewn up for the Crimson Tide a while back.

"Alabama showed me a lot of interest from the beginning," says the 6-3, 240-pound Hightower. "That really meant a lot to me. The interest they showed and Coach Saban were two of the big things about Alabama.

"I've had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Coach Saban a couple of times. He's not just a great coach; he's also a great person to talk to. You can tell he really cares about people."

Given Alabama's needs on the defensive front, Hightower was a top priority for the Tide staff.

"Coach Saban and Coach Steele have talked to me about playing inside linebacker," Hightower says. "They've also mentioned the possibility that I could play defensive end. I prefer linebacker, but I really wouldn't mind playing defensive end.

"I'm 240 pounds right now and I don't think that I'm finished growing. If I get a lot bigger, then I'd definitely grow into a defensive end. But as of now I think I will start out at linebacker. Coach Saban has told me that I have a chance to come in and get some playing time as a freshman."

Roll Tide !!!!!

The magic 8 ball was right

Tide lands a top Tennessee defender

Even though Dont'a Hightower committed to Alabama over Vanderbilt this morning, the linebacker/defensive end from Lewisburg-Marshall County, Tennessee was pretty much sewn up for the Crimson Tide a while back.

"Alabama showed me a lot of interest from the beginning," says the 6-3, 240-pound Hightower. "That really meant a lot to me. The interest they showed and Coach Saban were two of the big things about Alabama.

"I've had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Coach Saban a couple of times. He's not just a great coach; he's also a great person to talk to. You can tell he really cares about people."

Given Alabama's needs on the defensive front, Hightower was a top priority for the Tide staff.

"Coach Saban and Coach Steele have talked to me about playing inside linebacker," Hightower says. "They've also mentioned the possibility that I could play defensive end. I prefer linebacker, but I really wouldn't mind playing defensive end.

"I'm 240 pounds right now and I don't think that I'm finished growing. If I get a lot bigger, then I'd definitely grow into a defensive end. But as of now I think I will start out at linebacker. Coach Saban has told me that I have a chance to come in and get some playing time as a freshman."

Not a Bama fan, but Hightower made a great choice. Coach Steele is probably one of the top 3 LB coaches in the nation.

From someone who was at the press conference.....Hightower came in carring a bag and sat down at a table with a Bama hat, Vandy hat and a Barn hat. (not sure why the barn hat was there because they never were really in the running). Anyway....with out a lot of fanfair he reached in the bag and pulls out a houndstooth Bama hat and says...this is where I want to be. Welcome to Bama Dont'a!

Congrats zonepirate.

Jones, Hightower, and Jordan shortly, I suppose?

ruse?

Jordan is still being being looked at as a Bama lean, I really thought he would be the first from TN to commit. He better hurry if he wants in, we are at 21 and supposely Julio Jones has one of the spots left. Talk is that Jerrell Harris a 6-3, 215-pound linebacker at Gadsden City might be the next commitment. I think we will sign about 28-30 because we have a couple of spots where we can back count to last year and as usual not all will make it. We already have a nice WR class lined up and it looks like the LB class could be very impressive too.