Inter-Mountain Conference

DZbettin

Coach Lewis, along with Coach Kyle and Coach Hill are very capable. Is there transition problems? Likely. Does it give the players an excuse? Not from where I sit. They have to want to play defense to make it work. They have to want to rebound to make that happen. If you are not the biggest folks in town, you have to do the little things to make up for it.

I bought into the idea that it was going to take time, and come the 2nd half, that Jeff County was going to be tough to play. But that won't happen by turning a calendar page. The coaches can talk, and teach and demonstrate until they are out of breath, but if the players don't listen, and don't execute, or worse, some do, and some don't, then the greatest coach in the world isn't going to make a difference. The team is doing a lot of good things, but unfortunately, in each loss, there has been an extended period of time where very little goes correctly. Every player has been involved with both the good and the bad.

David didn't slay Golaith by trying to punch him to death. He didn't have the muscle. He used his head, and his available tools, and his courage, to slay the giant. We aren't going to grow a 6-1 post player any time soon. So we have to be smarter, and execute better. And as Coach Potts was fond of saying " PLAY HARD".

There is plenty of talent. I beleive the "want to" is there. It has to come together. The players have to make it happen. One loss does not make a season. It can be a valuable lesson if used the right way.

Go Lady Patriots. We beleive! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will be the Lady Patroits. They have 3 losses to 3 very good teams by a total of 17 points. Some will say West was ahead by 15 or so but Coach Lewis showed his coaching ability by using his timeouts and substitutions very well in the final few minutes of the game Friday night. Along will teaching the girls how to play when you're behind. They seem to have a hard time coming out for the second half of ball games and have a bad third quarter. Case in point Friday night, 5 points and letting the game get out of hand. The offense seems to be there for the most part (except coming out after halftime) as they are scoring around 60 most of the time and having around 4 girls in double figures. Rebounding, defense, and good decision making will go along way. This will take heart and senior leadership. Which they have 4 that are very capable of doing so. Along with a lot of talent in the junior class and some very talented underclassmen. Before the season's out I think a few teams in the conference will dread seeing the Lady Patroits on their schedule especially around tourney time. Here's wishing the best for the Lady Patroits and Coach Lewis, Coach Kyle, and last but not least Coach Hill. WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!!!!

To clarify one point. I have yet to hear any of the players use the coaching change as an excuse. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

thanks guys for keeping me informed, I haven't been able to make it out to any games yet so I am counting on my IMAC updates from you guys for a while since I can only get Greeneville games on the radio at home. Good to hear the Lady Pats are moving in the right direction. We have survived a couple of coaching changes in the past few years....hard to get through the player changes though.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will be the Lady Patroits. They have 3 losses to 3 very good teams by a total of 17 points. Some will say West was ahead by 15 or so but Coach Lewis showed his coaching ability by using his timeouts and substitutions very well in the final few minutes of the game Friday night. Along will teaching the girls how to play when you're behind. They seem to have a hard time coming out for the second half of ball games and have a bad third quarter. Case in point Friday night, 5 points and letting the game get out of hand. The offense seems to be there for the most part (except coming out after halftime) as they are scoring around 60 most of the time and having around 4 girls in double figures. Rebounding, defense, and good decision making will go along way. This will take heart and senior leadership. Which they have 4 that are very capable of doing so. Along with a lot of talent in the junior class and some very talented underclassmen. Before the season's out I think a few teams in the conference will dread seeing the Lady Patroits on their schedule especially around tourney time. Here's wishing the best for the Lady Patroits and Coach Lewis, Coach Kyle, and last but not least Coach Hill. WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!!!!

Good post, except Karns is probably one of the worst teams JC will play all season

West handled PF tonight at Holt Fieldhouse at Carson-Newman College. To me that would be a great experience to go to a college gym and play a game. Gave the girls the chance to be seen very easily by CN's coaching staff, which included a familar face to the IMAC. I just thought that it was a fun experience and I would have enjoyed that opportunity to play at a college venue when I played high school ball. West is looking pretty confident right now and that could be a dangerous ingredient w/ their young players. Confidence can make up for inexperience.

Tuesday Tilts:

Cherokee at GreenEVILe

West at Cocke County

Jeff Co at East

My thoughts:

Greeneville holds serve /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Cocke County is always better at home so I take them to beat West

Jeff Co rebounds (no pun intended) to beat East.

It will be interesting how Cocke County plays defense against West. West's shooters will kill them if they zone them, so I feel Cocke County has to play man, and then who do you put on Goins? If it was me, I would put Suggs on her, and have a lot of help available. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

West handled PF tonight at Holt Fieldhouse at Carson-Newman College. To me that would be a great experience to go to a college gym and play a game. Gave the girls the chance to be seen very easily by CN's coaching staff, which included a familar face to the IMAC. I just thought that it was a fun experience and I would have enjoyed that opportunity to play at a college venue when I played high school ball. West is looking pretty confident right now and that could be a dangerous ingredient w/ their young players. Confidence can make up for inexperience.

By the way, West's schedule has been intense.... Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday. Plus a lot of thier varsity play a lot of JV minutes. They appear to be in great shape, but 4 games in 6 days? Good for them if they pull it off.

The hiring of the new Jeff Co. coach was Friday, Monday were when tryouts were held. I got a chance to catch the second half of the Jeff/West game and to be honest with you, I was not impressed with Jeff's PG until the final 2 minutes when she actually decided to use her speed and play defense. She could be one of the quickest gaurds in the conference however it doesn't seem like she cares about playing defense. She would much rather be the girl who cherry picks and gets those easy layups. I heard that Elliott came out and banged in 2 3's for Jeff but then Jeff didn't seem to find her again until it was almost too late. If I had the conference leader in 3's on my team, I'd be feeding her the ball, just my opinion. Plus, there were several times that there was a lack of communication on what defense they were playing and that lead to several easy baskets for West. Oh and Goins looked like she was doing drills b/c she kept getting the ball in the same place and would make a move and put it up. Way too easy for her, but I think she will be a factor in every game if west is to be successful. After seeing this 2nd half of play, i think this year could be just like last year and be a crazy race at the end.

Coach Lewis at Jeff Co. is a very capable coach. He has the desire and knowledge to be a H.S. coach. You talk about middle school and high school ball being different, when you take your team to the state tourny i 2 or 3 times in a row you have to know what you are talking about. He has talent, but just give him time to get these girls to play his system and from what I saw, Jeff. Co. has to get together and play tough defense for the entire game. After Christmas break I believe Jeff Co. will be a much better team on both sides of the ball. You can't really complain to much on offense when I look at the scores for jeff co. they are scoring over 50 points a game and 60 in the last 3 games. If you can score that much in h.s. you are giving yourself a chance to win.

I spoke with 3 of the Jeff Co. players after the West game and the guards were apparently told to play back on Fanney and May to stay out of foul trouble due to their speed. The guards for West didn't beat Jeff Co. The entire team has to step up their defense to be competitive and I'm sure they will. As far as the PG for Jeff cherry picking lay ups you may want to try and attend a entire game vs only a half. All the guards to me appear to be unselfish in trying to get the ball inside to Elliott, Lyke, and Brooks. The games I have observed Jeff Co. needs some one to drive to the basket more to help open up the other players. The 3rd qtr. seems to be Jeff Co. weakest quarter and a area for improvement. They struggle coming out after half time. Let's give Coach Lewis and his staff time and opportunity to get it together. GO LADY PATRIOTS!!!

Tuesday Tilts:

Cherokee at GreenEVILe

West at Cocke County

Jeff Co at East

My thoughts:

Greeneville holds serve /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Cocke County is always better at home so I take them to beat West

Jeff Co rebounds (no pun intended) to beat East.

It will be interesting how Cocke County plays defense against West. West's shooters will kill them if they zone them, so I feel Cocke County has to play man, and then who do you put on Goins? If it was me, I would put Suggs on her, and have a lot of help available. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I'm not gonna go out on a limb, so ill take the three winners from Thursday - West, East and Greeneville