Inter-Mountain Conference

DZbettin

Finally, I have begun to have a change of heart about our league. While I think we are a long way from next year's AFC's South where the top 4 AFC teams not name Patriots could reside, I think that we are better as a league than I thought. Only Jeff is sub 500. We are 3-1 against a traditionally strong AA-District 2 (GP, PF, Ruthledge, and Claiborne) and 5-1 when we have played in Knoxville. Cherokee has a win over South Greene. There is lots of good young talent in the district and while we as a league don't play the state schedule that Greenville does, I am beginning to think that we play some good basketball as a district. I believe that we will do better than 1-3 in the first round of the region this year.

I agree with all of your post Lady Red except this part. Basketball from Jefferson County up to the Tri Cities is weak, boys and girls, except for the Lady Devils. Even Greeneville didn't make a ton of noise in the Ladies Classic. District 2 may win some games come region tourney time, but that just says that District 1 may be worse.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourney is at Greeneville this year.

I am not sure on this, but since the Regional Semis and Finals will be played at Hal Henard every other year, the District 2-AAA tourney could be on that same rotation.

I understand the thinking, as it will give the teams an advantage by playing there the week before and getting used to the gym and shooting. However, it would make more sense in doing this if all rounds of the regional tournament were held at the neutral location.

The District tournament is at Greeneville this year because the Athletic Directors wanted it to be in alphabetical order, and basketball is the only (supposedly, I don't follow all sports) sport with a post season tournament (or meet) that isn't rotated in alpha order. The reason it wasn't in the past was there are only 3 gyms in District 2 that can hold a regional tourny, so the rotation was set up so that Greeneville, Jefferson County, and East had the district (and regional) tournament every two years. The other three schools fit in in the other years. So the old rotation was Cherokee, Greeneville, Cocke, Jeff, West, East.

Last year, TSSAA mandated that the regions must have the tournament in the most centrally located arena (that could host a region) in the region, with the districts alternating years. Our district picked Greeneville, and District one selected Boone, I think (wasn't that where it was last year?). Greeneville is the logical choice because of it's proximity to District 1.

So, because Cocke County had District last year, to go to alpahabetical order, the ADs decided that it would go back to Greeneville this year, Jeff, East, West, Cherokee, Cocke. What this means is that the schools get the following gaps in years between hosting District:

Cherokee - 7

Cocke Cty - 6

Greeneville - 2

Jefferson - 7

East - 6

West - 8

One of the plans discussed was for Greeneville to have District every other year, to coincide with Regions.

I have a bias in this, because my daughter is a Senior, and will miss out on having Districts at her home school during her senior year, which by the way, she had figured out by her 7th grade year was going to happen. This coupled with the coaching change has left a sour taste all around.

I think it is a competitve advantage for Greenville to have districts again after only two years. I know it was brought up again to keep the old rotation until Cherokee's turn came up, and then start aphabetiacally, but it died without a vote. The coaches did not decide this, the ADs did, and did not consult with the coaches about thier thoughts.

Finishing first or second in Districts gets you an opening home game in Regions, so that breaks up the flow of playing in Greeneville. And I will point out that Morristown West won Districts and Regions on Greeneville's court, and yet lost in Sub State on the same court. So I don't buy into the "getting used to" argument.

Jefferson County has traveled every Christmas to Greeneville, and now will play Districts in Cherokee, Greeneville, Cocke Cty and Greeneville again. I think it is shame that it is happening this way, and I think it was only done so a few ADs didn't have to think too hard as to where the tournament was going to be in any given year. Or they didn't want the hassle of hosting the tournament. West may have forgotten what they are supposed to do by the time they get it again in 2011.

/ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

had to reply to one thing lady red......you do a great job......but buda is so much faster than nelson!

i have a question!...starting with nelson , what are opposing guards scoring with buda on them?

i dont have theses totals sure someone does

Not sure I agree about Buda being any faster than the Nelson girl from Jeff. Buda seems to rest at times as does others on defense for several teams. The Nelson girl is Jeff's leading scorer somewhere around 13 to 14 ppg. She has to work on becoming more consistent. She had I believe 29 against East with 2 ot and then didn't score the next game against Cherokee.

I agree with all of your post Lady Red except this part. Basketball from Jefferson County up to the Tri Cities is weak, boys and girls, except for the Lady Devils. Even Greeneville didn't make a ton of noise in the Ladies Classic. District 2 may win some games come region tourney time, but that just says that District 1 may be worse.

I have to completely disagree. Greeneville is the best AAA team in Region , and granted they are in District 2. After that District 1's AAA group of Tennessee High, Science Hill, Sullivan South, Daniel Boone, and Dobyns-Bennett are arguably as good or better than the rest of the IMAC. District 2 AA is wayyyyy down. Claiborne Co., Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg Pittman, and Rutledge will have a hard time with District 1's South Greene, Elizabethton, Happy Valley, and Unicoi Co. in the regional tournament. District 1's A group of Cloudland, North Greene, Unaka, and Hampton may sweep District 2 in the regional first round. Overall in all classes, District 1 is much stronger this year and has been in AA and A for the past five to ten years. I'll grant you District 2 AAA has been stronger over the same time period, but most of that is Greeneville.

Gotta go with coachh17 on this one. Don't know how any of the other matchups have gone, I know Greeneville beat TN High and Science Hill early on. But I know that Daniel Boone has already beaten MoEast and Cherokee, who are 2nd and 3rd right now, and Boone is currently tied for 4th w/Science Hill in district 1.

Gotta go with coachh17 on this one. Don't know how any of the other matchups have gone, I know Greeneville beat TN High and Science Hill early on. But I know that Daniel Boone has already beaten MoEast and Cherokee, who are 2nd and 3rd right now, and Boone is currently tied for 4th w/Science Hill in district 1.

Jeff County(last right now) beat Dobyns Bennett

Dobyns Bennett beat Cherokee

Cherokee handled S. South in one early 20 minute scrimmage and lost to South by a couple in another (forwhat that's worth)

Cherokee still has a home date with DB and home and away with Sc Hill.

Should learn more, but I still say below Greeneville are 10 pretty even teams...would make for an interesting post-season without Greenville.

Good point.

In the big 9, the top 5 teams are beating up on each other right now.

South beat TN high, Boone beat South, Science Hill beat Boone, Dobyns-Bennett beat Science Hill, and TN High beat Dobyns-Bennett. Round and round we go. It's hard to tell who's going to do what. If South beats TN High again on Friday, they will have a pretty good grip on 1st place. If not, it will depend on who else can beat them as to who's #1. 3 thru 5 is a tossup at this point.

Jefferson County 71

Morristown East 39.

Not a misprint.

WOW LADY PATRIOTS!!!!

Granted, East is playing its 4th game in 6 days? With 8 girls?

For Jeff County, Lyke and Nelson each with 16, Brooks with 11.

The big question for TROTTERCOACH... How in the world does Samantha get 4 fouls in the 1st qtr? Better yet, why is she still in there to get her 3rd.

I know, you can't answer either of those questions....

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

And by the way, the boys complete the sweep! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Jefferson County 71

Morristown East 39.

Not a misprint.

WOW LADY PATRIOTS!!!!

Granted, East is playing its 4th game in 6 days? With 8 girls?

For Jeff County, Lyke and Nelson each with 16, Brooks with 11.

The big question for TROTTERCOACH... How in the world does Samantha get 4 fouls in the 1st qtr? Better yet, why is she still in there to get her 3rd.

I know, you can't answer either of those questions....

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

And by the way, the boys complete the sweep! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Wow....

I figured Jefferson County could win, but by 32? I do like the effort/hustle/determination/scrappiness (or whatever you wish to call it) that Jefferson County came out with in the second half on Friday night in Newport. Coach Lewis was on them for a lack of effort in the first half, especially in keeping Cocke County off the offensive glass....and they came out and played physical, tough, intense ball.

The boys result, not so surprising. East is struggling. Jefferson County has played solid within the conference all year long. Beat Greeneville, played Cherokee and Cocke County tough..

Standings Into Friday

Greeneville 4-0 1.000

Cherokee 3-2 .600

Morristown East 3-3 .500

Cocke County 2-3 .400

Jefferson County 2-4 .333

Morristown West 1-3 .250

The battle for a bye into regionals (Greenville games out):

Cherokee 3-1

Morristown East 3-2 (Both losses against Jeff)

Cocke County 2-2

Jeff County 2-3 (Both wins against East)

Morristown West 1-3

Another dog fight! A win against Greenville from anyone in there would be huge for them.

I say 6-4 gets you the bye, and 5-5 gets you a share of 2nd.

I will go out on a limb again this year.....I predict that there will not be a 5-way tie for second.