Inter-Mountain Conference

DZbettin

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only team that should beat Greeneville this year would be the first round team the play in the Green Bank Classic. Other than that Greeneville should go undefeated into sub-state. Then sub-state will be a different story. There are a lot of teams from knoxville area that are good. Oakridge is very good.

While I will agree that all this SHOULD happen, I'm going to go ahead and lay a prediction out there for a major upset somewhere along the way during district or region tournament play for Greeneville.

The problem for Greenville is that it could come from so many different teams given the right set of circumstances. Greenville plays flat on the third game in three days against a team with speed and some depth,....etc.

Could come from any of the IMAC teams as well as South, Science Hill, DB, Tennessee or Boone.

I know....You have every reason to call "hogwash" on this one, but beware, I predicted a 5 way tie for second in the IMAC last year!

While I will agree that all this SHOULD happen, I'm going to go ahead and lay a prediction out there for a major upset somewhere along the way during district or region tournament play for Greeneville.

The problem for Greenville is that it could come from so many different teams given the right set of circumstances. Greenville plays flat on the third game in three days against a team with speed and some depth,....etc.

Could come from any of the IMAC teams as well as South, Science Hill, DB, Tennessee or Boone.

I know....You have every reason to call "hogwash" on this one, but beware, I predicted a 5 way tie for second in the IMAC last year!

I have to agree, stat.

Greeneville is a tweaked ankle (or more) or early foul trouble for one of two players on their roster from falling back to the pack.

Such a statement would have (and was) been feasible last year. Greeneville had Collins behind Deans/Dickson. They also had more experienced guard play than they do this year.

That said, there's no real team on Greeneville's schedule that jumps up and says, "this will be a battle" besides Maryville in early January.

The problem is every team that can overpower Greeneville with guard play just has little to nothing in the post. With girls basketball being a game that seems to be won in the paint most usually, that bodes well for the Lady Devils.

I have to agree, stat.

Greeneville is a tweaked ankle (or more) or early foul trouble for one of two players on their roster from falling back to the pack.

Such a statement would have (and was) been feasible last year. Greeneville had Collins behind Deans/Dickson. They also had more experienced guard play than they do this year.

That said, there's no real team on Greeneville's schedule that jumps up and says, "this will be a battle" besides Maryville in early January.

The problem is every team that can overpower Greeneville with guard play just has little to nothing in the post. With girls basketball being a game that seems to be won in the paint most usually, that bodes well for the Lady Devils.

I don't think Crumbley would be able to bench her starters for an entire quarter if that was indeed true PT...pretty broad statement to make so early...hard to evaluate the "pack" this early since I have not made it to any games this season but from the way you guys are talking the "pack" is pretty weak this year and I am reading similar critiques of the big 9 "pack" as well. Hopefully, I will be up for the Classic next week...I hate not having an opinion.

I have to agree, stat.

I have to disagree about the fact of greeneville being one tweaked ankle or early foul trouble to fall to the back of their pack. If I recall Collins has been in foul trouble the past 3 or 4 games....Greeneville has won. Greeneville has more depth than anyone gives them credit. Greeneville's guards always seem to get the short end of the stick on everything, however they seem to be handling the pressure pretty good. Greeneville has also had more than Dickson and Mcyntire score in double digits this year.....Collins, Shipley, and Kelly have all had games with double figures. Any way you look at it everyone must realize that Greeneville does not rely on their offense....Their DEFENSE is what they are known for.

You may have misread my statement about the pack. They may be that from falling back to the pack (ie: They would be there with the rest of the conference).

No one should beat Greeneville right now with Dickson scoring 17-20, Collins getting right around 10 and a guard getting 7-10 a night. That's right at around 40 ppg from three players. The rest of the team would likely factor in to score 10-15 on average. Then Greeneville gives up around 37.4 a night.

Greeneville's average margin of victory is 53-37 (16 points). My argument is take away one of those two (either fouls, injury, or whatever) and it's thinkable that they would be played closer by their opponents.

In looking in terms of conference play, Greeneville has wins of 28, 25 and 14. The 14-point win was over Cocke County and Collins missed a large portion of the first half (2 fouls). The game was close in the 2nd half and the guards hit a couple of big outside shots to really put momentum in the hands of Greeneville.

That said, no one should probably be "favored" to beat them the rest of their non-tournament schedule. Although the Maryville game should be interesting.

And Barb, the IMAC - not sure if its down or just parity or what. I think its a bit down this year from last with Jefferson County's struggles, Cocke County being 1-3 without three key players from last year's team on the floor, Morristown East going from 15 to around 8-9 players. Morristown West can show up and win one night and lose the next - thats youth. Cherokee should be the most well-rounded team aside from Greeneville with three experienced seniors (Price, Avery, Ewing) and a 6-0 freshman (Ryans), but they stand at 2-2.

Big Nine...should be Tennessee High and Sullivan South at 1-2....DB, Boone and SH will battle for 3-5.

Is Greeneville better this year than last year? I would have thought losing Deans would hurt a little.

Last year's Region tournament saw Greeneville beat Daniel Boone by only 1 pt., and then Science Hill by only 1 pt.

As for the Big Nine, I don't think anything's decided yet. The top 5 teams all have either one loss or two, and they've all got to play each other again.

Is Greeneville better this year than last year? I would have thought losing Deans would hurt a little.

Last year's Region tournament saw Greeneville beat Daniel Boone by only 1 pt., and then Science Hill by only 1 pt.

As for the Big Nine, I don't think anything's decided yet. The top 5 teams all have either one loss or two, and they've all got to play each other again.

I don't think their starting five are better or worse than last year. They may not be as deep and may be more vulnerable at guard play. The biggest thing they have going for them beyond the obvious talent is that they are Greenville. That generally means hard nosed very disciplined defense. While they play clean in every sense of the word, crossing the lane against Greenville is not for the weak at heart.

The key for at least some of the other IMAC teams will be to play their game against Greenville. It seems at least from what I've seen that teams can be antimidated by the big green monster. That's not an individual reference,but a reference to their reputation. I don't think that district 1 has had that impact their play against Greenville like maybe the other IMAC teams.

It looks for now at least like Greenville could face any of 10 teams in Regional finals. Their problem will be that they will get 5 of those in a row come tournament time and anything can happen.

I think Greeneville is better this year than last. Yes Deans is missed, however Brianna Kelly, a very good sophomore post, is learning each game and will only get better. She is aggressive and has good skills, athleticism and moxy. She is not intimidated and knows the game. Greeneville has fewer turnovers this year.

Collins is better than last year and can play good defense with her height and long arms. She is solid at the foul line and smart. She needs to be more aggressive offensively. Dickson is always solid. She is shooting the ball better now than earlier in the season. McIntyre is playing the best ball in her high school career scoring 16, 20 and 16 her last three games. The point Paige Ramsey continues to improve with experience. Sophomore wing Morgan Shipley can shoot the three as well as anyone when shooting well. Conner Hall provides quality play off the bench. The team plays solid defense every game, and the team chemistry is very good. The Ladies Classic will be a good indicator of how good they are, beginning with the first game against a very good Lake City, Florida team.