Greeneville at Sullivan South

KEV-O

So I has a chance to venture out of Knoxville (I'm a Powell grad and far) and watch the Mo West vs. South game last night. I gotta say I wasn't as impressed with the Phillips kid as all of you guys are. He had some impressive runs but a lot of it just looked like poor tackling by Mo West. I'm a big time skeptic of upper east tennessee football ever since that TN high vs. Maryville debacle back in like the 04 season, but the game just looked a whole lot slower in "death valley" last night. I think that Powell could possibly be better then South this year, and I'm almost certain that West and Halls the number 3 and 4 teams from region three would beat South. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to get on here and say that Curt isn't a ball player. I mean Big Ten schools don't just hand out scholarships lightly. I just was expecting to walk away more impressed then I was after seeing him in person. Now with all that being said I have got to pick South in this game. I have never seen Greeneville play, but I do know it's really hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last South Greeneville game at GHS? Home field means a lot.

I would like to addess the poster that said that UT should have gotten Curt. That's simply not true. BJ Colemon (the kid from Mccallie who is at UT now) had a much bigger arm then Phillips does from what I saw last night, and BJ isn't close to getting on the field at UT. I hope the kid makes me eat crow about this I would love to see a TN boy starting at Wisconsin, but I just don't see that happening.

Best of luck to both teams, and congratulations the winner of this game gets the winner of the Red Bank Maryville game...what a reward lol.

"I wasn't as impressed with the Phillips kid as all of you guys are. He had some impressive runs but a lot of it just looked like poor tackling by Mo West. I'm a big time skeptic of upper east tennessee football" /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Say no more friend, we in Upper East Tennessee call someone like you an idiot! Played enough ball in Knoxville to know that your teams can be beatten! As far as your predictions on Curt's playing time for Wisconsin, well there have been other young men from Upper East Tennessee who were stellar and went on to play D1 ball Spurrier (JC), Whitten(Betsy), Sensabaugh (Kpt) all of which went on to (or are still playing) professional football! (Probably others that I can't recall) Sounds pretty successful to me! I'll give you UET may not spit out the volume of D1 players as your precious Knoxville but when we do, THEY ARE TOPS! By the way, where is your home town team in the playoffs??? Additionally, our Rebs are a TEAM in every way! They are focused on playing their best one week at a time! When Curt is out there scoring td's, returning a punt, making a tackle on D, completing a pass, it is for the team, it is for the win, it is to do his share, to take it to the next level, heck I hope it is also for fun, but it certainly is not to impress idiots like you! Save your $7 entry fee, your gas, hot air and stay in Knoxville! We in Upper East Tennessee know a star when we see one!

Great win last night Rebels! Let's continue what we started beat Greenville! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

GO REBELS

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

07devil, Curt did score 6 td's, alot because of his individual effort and abilities, however the entire Rebel team put him in position to exhibit his effort and abilities. This was and will be a complete team effort!

Your spot on with this post. I think Don Shula said it best: "The one man team is a complete and total myth." Curt is an outstanding football player but he doesn't do it by himself. South's O-line,(#50, #72, #52, #74, #71) was a big question mark before the season started, but they have really gotten stronger as the season has gone along. Our backs,(#15, #35) have contributed so much this year, most of what they do will not show up un the boxscores. The recievers,(#16, #7, #11..) have had some great games, not just catching the ball but their downfield blocking has been very good. It certainly helps a great deal to have a player of Curt's caliber on your team, but the rest of the offense do their jobs very well too.

So I has a chance to venture out of Knoxville (I'm a Powell grad and far) and watch the Mo West vs. South game last night. I gotta say I wasn't as impressed with the kid as all of you guys are. He had some impressive runs but a lot of it just looked like poor tackling by Mo West. I'm a big time skeptic of upper east tennessee football ever since that TN high vs. Maryville debacle back in like the 04 season, but the game just looked a whole lot slower in "death valley" last night. I think that Powell could possibly be better then South this year, and I'm almost certain that West and Halls the number 3 and 4 teams from region three would beat South. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to get on here and say that Curt isn't a ball player. I mean Big Ten schools don't just hand out scholarships lightly. I just was expecting to walk away more impressed then I was after seeing him in person. Now with all that being said I have got to pick South in this game. I have never seen Greeneville play, but I do know it's really hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last South Greeneville game at GHS? Home field means a lot.

I would like to addess the poster that said that UT should have gotten Curt. That's simply not true. BJ Colemon (the kid from Mccallie who is at UT now) had a much bigger arm then Phillips does from what I saw last night, and BJ isn't close to getting on the field at UT. I hope the kid makes me eat crow about this I would love to see a TN boy starting at Wisconsin, but I just don't see that happening.

Best of luck to both teams, and congratulations the winner of this game gets the winner of the Red Bank Maryville game...what a reward lol.

Region one is funny cuz they like to talk up there teams an players an most of the time the teams or players dont live up to the hype region 1 gives them (i think region 1 wants to get down Phillips pants or something). Phillips is not a bad player by any means but with the way south talked him up, i thought he was going to start walking on water.

Here's a suggestion for the recruiting efforts from the "University of the only team we can out coach is Arkansas" (and by that I mean a suggetion for the University of Tennesse.) Look in your own back yard. Andre Sterling should sign with Wisconsin so he and Curt could someday meet the Volunteers in a bowl game and show them what they weren't interested in. Sterling has only went for 200+ yards 8 times in 12 games and Phillips should just be considered a 6'4' 240 lb. walking stat line. Arguably the two best players to come out of East Tennessee in decades and they both go elsewhere. Good luck in the future to two of these stars who have earned everything they have gotten thus far.

"I wasn't as impressed with the Phillips kid as all of you guys are. He had some impressive runs but a lot of it just looked like poor tackling by Mo West. I'm a big time skeptic of upper east tennessee football" /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Say no more friend, we in Upper East Tennessee call someone like you an idiot! Played enough ball in Knoxville to know that your teams can be beatten! As far as your predictions on Curt's playing time for Wisconsin, well there have been other young men from Upper East Tennessee who were stellar and went on to play D1 ball Spurrier (JC), Whitten(Betsy), Sensabaugh (Kpt) all of which went on to (or are still playing) professional football! (Probably others that I can't recall) Sounds pretty successful to me! I'll give you UET may not spit out the volume of D1 players as your precious Knoxville but when we do, THEY ARE TOPS! By the way, where is your home town team in the playoffs??? Additionally, our Rebs are a TEAM in every way! They are focused on playing their best one week at a time! When Curt is out there scoring td's, returning a punt, making a tackle on D, completing a pass, it is for the team, it is for the win, it is to do his share, to take it to the next level, heck I hope it is also for fun, but it certainly is not to impress idiots like you! Save your $7 entry fee, your gas, hot air and stay in Knoxville! We in Upper East Tennessee know a star when we see one!

Great win last night Rebels! Let's continue what we started beat Greenville! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

GO REBELS

Yes, yes, yes, well said! They must be from Fulmers staff with bitter regrets.

Here's a suggestion for the recruiting efforts from the "University of the only team we can out coach is Arkansas" (and by that I mean a suggetion for the University of Tennesse.) Look in your own back yard. Andre Sterling should sign with Wisconsin so he and Curt could someday meet the Volunteers in a bowl game and show them what they weren't interested in. Sterling has only went for 200+ yards 8 times in 12 games and Phillips should just be considered a 6'4' 240 lb. walking stat line. Arguably the two best players to come out of East Tennessee in decades and they both go elsewhere. Good luck in the future to two of these stars who have earned everything they have gotten thus far.

UT is one of the best recruiting schools around. Phillips is like Tebow, UT does not run an O that best suits him. They are a passing team, an Phillips is a running QB.

UT is one of the best recruiting schools around. Phillips is like Tebow, UT does not run an O that best suits him. They are a passing team, an Phillips is a running QB.

I agree that recruiting isn't there biggest problem (but player development may be). Phillips is a dual threat QB, and UT is a 'power I' establish the run first type of offense. But take a second to consider the past, I remember a certain dual threat QB at the University of Tennessee who steped in after some guy named Peyton Manning graduated and led UT to a national title. But this is all non-sense b/c this is a Geeneville/South thread. Good luck to the Rebels. Win a state title and make all the Good ole boys proud.

Region one is funny cuz they like to talk up there teams an players an most of the time the teams or players dont live up to the hype region 1 gives them (i think region 1 wants to get down Phillips pants or something). Phillips is not a bad player by any means but with the way south talked him up, i thought he was going to start walking on water.

I believe if you actually read the post's correctly South posters are actually defending Curt from jealous wannabes, or they are lifting up the team. Most of the ones that have talked him up have either seen him play or played against him and were not a South supporter. I think you missed your calling, sounds like you should be a D1 scout.

GO REBELS

I wasn't trying to offend anyone by my post, as I said I hope that someone proves me wrong. I think you may have proved my point for me though with your NFL players line. I'm not doubting that upper east tn football hasn't produced great great football players. All I'm saying is that i can rattle off a lot of guys that I personally played with at Powell that are playing division one football right now. In fact I played with Baron Huber (starting fullback for Alabama) Lee Smith and John Bruhin (a contributing TE and a red shirt line man who both have a shot to play on Sundays and both are at Marshall) and against Casen Jackson-Garrison and Dennis Rogan. Did you watch today's UT game? Because Rogan was the one whos big time return set up the game winning field goal and Jackson-Garrison averaged better then 4.5 yards a carry against UT today. So you can take your once in a blue moon studs and I'll take my Knoxville football where we compete with D1 talent week in and week out. Again, I hope Phillips goes up there and sets the world on fire. I just don't see that happening. Additionally, boy that really hurts...my Powell team (who was picked to finish 7th in region 3 before the year) just lost to the number two team in the state by 3 points...what a terrible season.

I'm not taking anything away from what South has done up to this point, they have done ALMOST everything that they could have done to be considered great. The loss to Greeneville sticks out though. It just seems to me that if South really had all of this talen they would be tearing through upper east TN which is traditionally weak and thats a fact whether u accept it or not. Knoxville consistently puts teams in the state championship game on on every level.

The truth is if someone is going to beat Maryville this IS the year to do it, and if you want my honest prediction I think they will lose in the state championship game..just not before that. I want to reiterate that Phillips is a ball player...I just think that hes a product of poor competition to some degree. And once again, I hope he proves you right and me wrong

I wasn't trying to offend anyone by my post, as I said I hope that someone proves me wrong. I think you may have proved my point for me though with your NFL players line. I'm not doubting that upper east tn football hasn't produced great great football players. All I'm saying is that i can rattle off a lot of guys that I personally played with at Powell that are playing division one football right now. In fact I played with Baron Huber (starting fullback for Alabama) Lee Smith and John Bruhin (a contributing TE and a red shirt line man who both have a shot to play on Sundays and both are at Marshall) and against Casen Jackson-Garrison and Dennis Rogan. Did you watch today's UT game? Because Rogan was the one whos big time return set up the game winning field goal and Jackson-Garrison averaged better then 4.5 yards a carry against UT today. So you can take your once in a blue moon studs and I'll take my Knoxville football where we compete with D1 talent week in and week out. Again, I hope Phillips goes up there and sets the world on fire. I just don't see that happening. Additionally, boy that really hurts...my Powell team (who was picked to finish 7th in region 3 before the year) just lost to the number two team in the state by 3 points...what a terrible season.

I'm not taking anything away from what South has done up to this point, they have done ALMOST everything that they could have done to be considered great. The loss to Greeneville sticks out though. It just seems to me that if South really had all of this talen they would be tearing through upper east TN which is traditionally weak and thats a fact whether u accept it or not. Knoxville consistently puts teams in the state championship game on on every level.

The truth is if someone is going to beat Maryville this IS the year to do it, and if you want my honest prediction I think they will lose in the state championship game..just not before that. I want to reiterate that Phillips is a ball player...I just think that hes a product of poor competition to some degree. And once again, I hope he proves you right and me wrong

[/quote

Sounds like you've got an opinion and you know what they say about that...every bodies got one. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align]anything[/b] to me! I have had the privilege of watching that kid play for years and he deserves the recognition! Wisconsin got the real deal, I'll have to buy a cheese hat! As far as UT, not a fan, never have been, didn't watch the game. May your D1 friends have as much success in pro-ball as Mr. Whitten and friends from UET...When you make the statement that UET is weak, you insult us all. As I said previously and I believe is the topic of this thread, South will not take this game lightly, will continue their weekly routine, practice hard, watch film, stay focused, and be thankful with their families this week. I believe they will play as a team, play hard core, play with passion, play to win! If they do win believe me sir, it will NOT be a win over a WEAK opponent but a team who has battled and earned their right to be there as well! Again, our Rebs take this one game at a time but to respond to your talk of Maryville, they too are facing an opponent who has battled to be there and the victor could come as quite a shock to you Knoxville people. Let's all keep in mind that no matter who you pull for, ALL of these TEAMS have earned the right to play 3rd round playoffs, to play for great coaching staffs, to represent excellent schools; that they are 16-18 year old young men with their whole lives ahead of them! May we all enjoy a safe and happy Thanksgiving, may we remember the men and women who are serving our country abroad, may remember the families who may be in need, and be thankful for all that the good Lord has provided! Then on Friday night may both teams play with no injury and to the best of their abilities! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

GO REBELS!

Great posts to stir things up which is what we all log on here to do.

Correct my history if it is wrong. I know of only one QB from Knoxville area the last 30 years to get a D-I offer and take it. That was Pennington to Marshall. In NET, I have to go back to David Bibee from THS's National Title team in the early 70's. Bibee never played much at UT after he got there. If we really talk ancient history we could go back to Spurrier. Am I overlooking other Knoxville or NET QB's?