MBA vs. BA for STATE

vols98

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad about UVA. Must not have been able to get into UNC! Real men major in chemistry.

You mother's boys need to know when someone's pulling your leg. Congratulations on a great season. I'm looking forward to watching Bartholomew on Saturdays. Too bad it won't be at UNC where he would have gotten an education.

A low blow to the UT system.. Nice..

As of now, only 2 seniors plan on playing fball in college. Ben Bartholomew has a long family tradition to UT and MBA so don't act like we "recruit" these guys. Let me put that in perspective. This is a championship team with 30+ seniors. BA is sometimes assumed to be recruiting because it seems to find many big time athletes accepted in 9th grade or later. Even though I don't know anything for sure, I don't think BA's attracting athletes by having a good reputation as a football powerhouse is "recruiting" or unfair. At the time of this Junior and Senior class's 7th grade year MBA was going through a 2 year period of high quality, big name fball. 02 and 03 championships to prove it. Maybe some of MBA's talent this year can be a byproduct of that admission years success. However, your last statement is where u lose all credibility. Assuming every MBA fball player is dumb, going to UT, and rich, preppy fraternity boys is really wishful thinking. I could go on and on about this. Just one example: Christian Waddey, one of MBA's two running backs with 100+ yards against BA last weekend, is giving up fball, going to UVA, and majoring in physics.

Too bad about UVA. Must not have been able to get into UNC! Real men major in chemistry.

You mother's boys need to know when someone's pulling your leg. Congratulations on a great season. I'm looking forward to watching Bartholomew on Saturdays. Too bad it won't be at UNC where he would have gotten an education.

I guess it's all about perspective. You can't argue with what BA did in '95. As I recall, BA beat Clarkesville NE (with Travis Stephens) in the quarters, MBA in the semis, and Riverdale in the Clinic Bowl. Can't really do anything more impressive than that. The next year in '96, BA and MBA were far and away the two best teams in the state, and unfortunately had to play each other in the quarterfinals. BA won in OT (still wish Ricky had gone for 2 when we tied it in regulation), then cruised to the title. That edition of 5A wouldn't compare with most years of D2-aaa.

This year, again, MBA and BA were probably among the 3 best teams in the state (depending on where you rank Maryville--but of course, I'd say MBA and BA were #1 and #2 all year). MBA had to beat one of the top 3 teams in the state twice in a month in order to claim the title. That in and of itself makes this team's accomplishment significant. On the other hand, it does seem that D2-aaa wasn't very good overall this year, with neither of the Memphis teams or Chattanooga teams having good seasons. MBA and BA both blew out their semifinal opponents, indicating that this was a two-horse race from the beginning. Consider also that this year, MBA and BA both have impressive wins over D1 teams (Independence, Smyrna, Hillsboro).

What neither MBA nor BA ever accomplished--the true brass ring, imo--was winning a title in 3A when Tennessee only had 3 classifications.

Just to clarify, the 1996 MBA-BA game went to 2OT. I've had BA players tell me that if we had gone for two, we would have made it. Great game.

Very cool video. I wonder if MBA has ever considered putting together a historical compilation like UT did for their 100th year? I would assume they still have films going back to Owen's early years. MBA has an archive, and I was amazed at what wasn't there: game programs, etc. What I wouldn't give to have my 1970 Clinic Bowl Program (or my 1969 Cumberland-Clarksville Burt Blanket Bowl program).

Mentioning historical BA figures, does anybody remember Steve Inglis?

As I understand it, a video archive is in the works.

I'm looking forward to watching Bartholomew on Saturdays. Too bad it won't be at UNC where he would have gotten an education...on losing while wearing baby blue football uniform.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Are you still updating the DI-DII W-L records on hsfdatabase?

I still have to update the site, but the final numbers for DII-AA were 37-9 versus DI, including 16-2 versus 5A and 3-1 versus 4A. The original seven teams went 20-5; the other six teams went 17-4. And, for the fifth time since the split, a DI champ (5A) will have suffered a loss at the hands of a non-champ from DII's highest class.

It's also worth noting that, for the 11th time in 11 seasons, the large DII champion swept all of its DI opponents.

I still have to update the site, but the final numbers for DII-AA were 37-9 versus DI, including 16-2 versus 5A and 3-1 versus 4A. The original seven teams went 20-5; the other six teams went 17-4. And, for the fifth time since the split, a DI champ (5A) will have suffered a loss at the hands of a non-champ from DII's highest class.

It's also worth noting that, for the 11th time in 11 seasons, the large DII champion swept all of its DI opponents.

I doubt you will see Lockridge of any other writer in the Tennessean reporting those statistics!

I doubt you will see Lockridge of any other writer in the Tennessean reporting those statistics!

I'll say this: I'm sure this time next week, someone will probably start a thread about "Best in State - All Classifications". I'm sure Maryville will get a lot of nods (and not undeservedly) after they smoke Maplewood. However, given the class MBA plays in and the schedule it had, plus its standing in three ratings services (I have Composite Ratings on the site, and MBA is at the top of the three systems used), MBA certainly can certainly stake a claim to its place. It's also worth noting that, before Friday, Brentwood Academy was #2 in the average ratings.