Marion County

DelTavian

D.H.P. I am not taking it the wrong way and you are right KC rallied everyone, because he felt the pressure to win! And thats all any Marion Fan expects. Ask your Dad, he was there with us during those early years. Just remember when January rolls around, work ethic, team building, and goal setting, basically get back to the basics and the Marion Tradition will return. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I know it will. Those last words you said (work ethic, team building, goal setting) are so important, and not just in football. If a man's going to be successful he better have work ethic, and goal setting. These are things we've gotten away from a little bit. And I credit past tradition to what little understanding we still have of these aspects of TEAM!

GO WARRIORS! AND AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED YOU south pitt fans STAY ON YE OWN THREAD! We've gotten by pretty well in the PAST without yall's input, and we'll do fine now!! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are exactly correct on your post! When KC was there I, along with 2 others, left the field house as the players were napping alot of times to head out to scout the opponent that Marion played the next week. We never got paid a dime for our time, but our love of the school, program and football made us drive for several hours each night. Yes, those nights I would have rather seen my little brother playing instead of heading elsewhere. Interestingly enough I saw him play just a few games in high school because we were always watching the next opponent. I'd gladly do this again if asked. Surprisingly when KC left, the coaches quit scouting the next opponent except on film. Films can only show so much. If the best available coach was hired I would guess that my other 2 carmates would come back to scout again if asked. The coach could easily get lots of volunteers who love the game and Marion County football to come back and lend any assistance needed. I think a thorough search would lead to the best choice in many ways. Just be patient and not just give the job to somebody that's a friend.

Old Pirate asks, "who" regularly scout teams now a-days. It's a safe bet the majorioty of high schools,colleges and pro teams study game film and seldom study hand written notes by scouters. Times change and that was the norm in the day but today that is a little old school. OP says old school is not bad just possably not as effective as game film.

Coach Beock should give careful thought before jumping into that coach's hornets nest. How many quality coaches have shown a strong interest after seeing the county's pay for coaches and the jasper supplement. The lack of funding for the coaching supplement was directly partially responsible for KC and Pruit leaving town.

The question to outside observers is, does jasper's supplemental funding have enough $$$$$$$$$$ to secure a top scale coach? Their failure to meet financial pledges goes back to KC's last days.

Old Pirate asks, "who" regularly scout teams now a-days. It's a safe bet the majorioty of high schools,colleges and pro teams study game film and seldom study hand written notes by scouters. Times change and that was the norm in the day but today that is a little old school. OP says old school is not bad just possably not as effective as game film.

Old Pirate, actually the films now days do not show everything such as pass patterns for the receivers on the other side of the field or downfield blocking by the backside linemen since it tends to center mainly on the ball carrier or receiver getting the ball. You might be surprised what you can actually see. They watched films just like they continue to do now but what we loooked for at the games were various tendencies and what wasn't so obvious on films. Seems to me like it worked rather well. I actually see alot of scouts at games on Friday nights. I'm actually somewhat surprised Vic doesn't have a few that goes out to see the next opponent. But you never know, he may very well have those. I'm sure not too many people knew how often it went on then as well as now.

Noticed Clean Gene Fuller talking to Coach Boeck this week. could he be putting his name in the hat? we would definately be a single wing/Power I/ 2-1-2 defense team. maybe he is tired of making all that money working for TVA and wants a job with some substance to it. :>) I hope whoever gets the job will have the full support from the entire community. That is the only way we will get our program back on track. Go Big Purple!!!!!

MCHS51 you are dead wrong about the kids quitting if Troy becomes the head coach. I heard today that he had already recruited 71 players from the halls to come out for spring workouts. That is almost doubled what the team had as a whole last year. And by the way, nobody cares if you like Troy or not. If you are a real supporter you will stand behind him, regardless your personal opinions! Lets back whoever gets the job and turn this thing around!

Troy is an excellent coach and takes control in the clubhouse and in their practices

I believe Marion County needs to do several things if they want to have a successful program again. One, they need to decide how important football is to them, and shell out the money to get a coach that can build it IMMEDIATELY. Okay, I understand that there are more important things (believe it or not) than football. BUT, if the administration decides that football is that important, they need to shell out the money for a good quality coach. When I say quality, I mean a coach that has a strong resume and that people, both in the community and students in the school associate with winning.If I am a athlete, and I am in Marion County High School, and I am thinking about playing football, I need to know that the school and community cares about football. And they are not showing me that if they bring in the person who costs the least money. I understand sometimes budget doesn't account for what it needs to in hiring people, BUT like I said earlier...if you want it bad enough...they will find the money.Also, the second thing they need to do, once they find a coach, no matter who he is, is KEEP HIM. I will openly say that it was a mistake to fire Jason so quickly. 2 years is not enough to do what needed to be done to fix this program. He is a great guy, and a passionate coach and person, and it was a mistake. But oh, we want wins right now. I think we misunderstand what it takes.I started high school in 04', and graduated in 07. The players in my class went through 3 coaches in 4 seasons. There was no getting comfortable in one coaches system, and the one coach where they had more than one season to learn his system, we ended up winning a playoff game by it, and then Jason was brought in with no time hardly whatsoever to implement his, and two years later, we fire him.I think there is a lot of benefit with sticking with a coach. You need a coach who players want to play for. And he needs to have 1 or both of these things: A reputation of winning, or be able to have a good relationship with the players. I quit the sport I played because of a new coach brought in. I was used to having a relationship with the old coach, who respected me and knew how much improvement I had made because he had seen me play over the years. The new coach was brought in, and knew nothing about me, and I personally felt had no respect for me from day one, unlike the old coach. I of course, didn't want to play for anyone who I couldn't feel had any respect for me. I think it is extremely important to have a coach who knows the kids, respects them, and have been there, even while they were in little league or middle school saying "hey, you're good, I want you to play for me in a few years." That's how your numbers will get up.Okay, just my opinion, it means nothing, but that's what I think they have got to do. Put a good captain behind the wheel of a ship, you'll get a good crew to help steer it in the right direction.

I believe Marion County needs to do several things if they want to have a successful program again. One, they need to decide how important football is to them, and shell out the money to get a coach that can build it IMMEDIATELY. Okay, I understand that there are more important things (believe it or not) than football. BUT, if the administration decides that football is that important, they need to shell out the money for a good quality coach. When I say quality, I mean a coach that has a strong resume and that people, both in the community and students in the school associate with winning.If I am a athlete, and I am in Marion County High School, and I am thinking about playing football, I need to know that the school and community cares about football. And they are not showing me that if they bring in the person who costs the least money. I understand sometimes budget doesn't account for what it needs to in hiring people, BUT like I said earlier...if you want it bad enough...they will find the money.Also, the second thing they need to do, once they find a coach, no matter who he is, is KEEP HIM. I will openly say that it was a mistake to fire Jason so quickly. 2 years is not enough to do what needed to be done to fix this program. He is a great guy, and a passionate coach and person, and it was a mistake. But oh, we want wins right now. I think we misunderstand what it takes.I started high school in 04', and graduated in 07. The players in my class went through 3 coaches in 4 seasons. There was no getting comfortable in one coaches system, and the one coach where they had more than one season to learn his system, we ended up winning a playoff game by it, and then Jason was brought in with no time hardly whatsoever to implement his, and two years later, we fire him.I think there is a lot of benefit with sticking with a coach. You need a coach who players want to play for. And he needs to have 1 or both of these things: A reputation of winning, or be able to have a good relationship with the players. I quit the sport I played because of a new coach brought in. I was used to having a relationship with the old coach, who respected me and knew how much improvement I had made because he had seen me play over the years. The new coach was brought in, and knew nothing about me, and I personally felt had no respect for me from day one, unlike the old coach. I of course, didn't want to play for anyone who I couldn't feel had any respect for me. I think it is extremely important to have a coach who knows the kids, respects them, and have been there, even while they were in little league or middle school saying "hey, you're good, I want you to play for me in a few years." That's how your numbers will get up.Okay, just my opinion, it means nothing, but that's what I think they have got to do. Put a good captain behind the wheel of a ship, you'll get a good crew to help steer it in the right direction.

Wow, Old Pirate says someone needs to take this youngon aside and get him up to speed on how a coach/teacher is paid.

Wow, Old Pirate says someone needs to take this youngon aside and get him up to speed on how a coach/teacher is paid.

Wow, truth is OP, everyone knows how a good coach is paid in marion county. We don't need you on here talking about our program and what is best. Don't you have a championship board somewhere to tend to. We are tired of you getting on here talking about giving us players for every sport and that is why we are even close to being successful. You know what, OP? Truth is yall or grundy neither one gave us anyone. Just because kids start out in one school doesn't mean that their parents plan on keeping them there. It is understood that south pitt's elementary school is arguably the best in the county. A lot of parents send their kids to that school. I am a die hard marion fan, but in a few years when my son starts school, more than likely he will go to school in SP. The most likely reason is that they teach phonics, unlike jasper. When he gets in fifth or sixth grade, he will move to marion to get a better education as they no doubt have the best school from 6-12th.

It is also funny that you get on here and bash us for getting rid of a coach when it seems like only last year there were some gumblings from down that way about coach grider after the blowout loss to gordonsville. My my how things change. Forget about that?? I didn't, Coach grider actually deserves a lot of credit this year for tweaking the offense to use that speed for your advantage. It is funny that we can go 5- 6 and fire a coach and yall go 9-2 and talk about the same thing.

Oh yeah but we are Marion and we aren't supposed to be able to get rid of a lame duck, only yall can talk like that.

Wow, truth is OP, everyone knows how a good coach is paid in marion county. We don't need you on here talking about our program and what is best. Don't you have a championship board somewhere to tend to. We are tired of you getting on here talking about giving us players for every sport and that is why we are even close to being successful. You know what, OP? Truth is yall or grundy neither one gave us anyone. Just because kids start out in one school doesn't mean that their parents plan on keeping them there. It is understood that south pitt's elementary school is arguably the best in the county. A lot of parents send their kids to that school. I am a die hard marion fan, but in a few years when my son starts school, more than likely he will go to school in SP. The most likely reason is that they teach phonics, unlike jasper. When he gets in fifth or sixth grade, he will move to marion to get a better education as they no doubt have the best school from 6-12th.

It is also funny that you get on here and bash us for getting rid of a coach when it seems like only last year there were some gumblings from down that way about coach grider after the blowout loss to gordonsville. My my how things change. Forget about that?? I didn't, Coach grider actually deserves a lot of credit this year for tweaking the offense to use that speed for your advantage. It is funny that we can go 5- 6 and fire a coach and yall go 9-2 and talk about the same thing.

Oh yeah but we are Marion and we aren't supposed to be able to get rid of a lame duck, only yall can talk like that.

Let me start by saying that this is my first, and quite possibly my last post on coacht. I have been an avid reader for several years. I am a SP grad from the early 80's and recently returned to the valley after being away for several years but I have always followed the Pirates. Let me start by saying that those people last year who were questioning Coach Grider after last season need a mental evaluation. Geez, we were 9-2 and got beat by 2 teams that were better than us at the time. I realize that most of the flack came from Geno and if you know Geno (we were in school together) you would understand. Geno never played football in his life, tried to play several times but never stuck it out. I realize that Geno is a Danny Wilson fan. Don't get me wrong, Danny was a great coach but he hasn't won a championship since he left and can't finish above 3rd place in his region. I bet he regrets the day he left. Regardless people, Vic is something like 112-29 in 11 seasons. You do the math! In regards to the Marion post, I feel the key is stability. Get someone in there and give them a chance to build a program. The ingredients are in place just give someone a chance to mix them all together. I don't like it but I have to say that the right person could make them successful again.

Oh yeah but we are Marion and we aren't supposed to be able to get rid of a lame duck, only yall can talk like that. And again, Mr. Stone, we thank you so much for allowing us to have some of your players. You are a swell guy!!!

Old Pirate says No, obviously everyone doesn't know how coaches are paid and hired. You have never heard OP bash a coach at SP nor jasper. There have been SP fans who have and jasper fans who have done the same about "every" coach the warriors have had since KC left town. It is obvious to all nonody can replace him. Suggestion made by TL to hire KC is what would be best for jasper. OP has no beef with jasper except one week a year.

PLEASE make an apology to Mr. Stone when you see him. You should try to stay a little less confused.

OP doesn't think it fair for him to get confused with this Old Pirate.

GO WARRIORS! AND AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED YOU south pitt fans STAY ON YE OWN THREAD! We've gotten by pretty well in the PAST without yall's input, and we'll do fine now!! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'm going to intrude on "your" thread but to only say one thing...Best of Luck on your search.