Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

Got back a little while ago from working the other defending state champion Maryville Rebel ball game. By the way MHS won both games, men and womens, against Farragut. I was talking with Douglas's parents and he was missing from the student cheering section tonite. He is at home with Strep Throat. Missed practice today and will most likely miss atleast Wednesday. Best of luck to him, they say he should be fine by Friday, maybe not 100% though.

P.S. Thanks Coach T for making this forum a discussion among true sports fans again. When I left for the game it was getting ugly.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get on here and read the first 19 pages of this thread and 95% of the material relevant to this game speaks of how South would not/could not even play with Maryville if they wanted to. Let it be known that praises should be given to Maryville and George Quarles for not only what theyv'e done for East Tennessee but also for the state of Tennessee as a whole as far as respect and recognition is concerned. But take into consideration what a fickle fruit this game of football can be.

September 1, 2007. Appalachian State 34 Michigan 32. Enough said. Appy State winning in the big house? Not in a million years. Appy State blocking a FG to win, one play after Chad Henne hit a streaking Mario Manningham down the sideline with :06 seconds left on the clock, to put the Wolverines in field goal position and seemingly save them from humiliation, impossible right? Well, obviously not, because it happened.

Sept. 15, 2007 & October 20, 2007. The University of Tennesse gets beaten by Florida and Alabama by a combined score of 100-37. Six weeks later the Volunteers are in position to win a SEC championship that not even the "experts" at ESPN saw coming. Not to mention, these same Vols that used a defensive linemens facemask (to block a game-winning OT field goal), seven TD passes (a school record, by a QB that everyone seems to hate), and two players who combined to have 35 tackles between them all adding up to beat a mediocre Kentucky team by 2 points in a game that lasted 5 hours.

November 24, 2007. New England Patriots 31, Philadelphia Eagles 28. Philly dominates 50 minutes of a 60 minute football game with some guy named Jay Feely at QB. Wait, who? The Eagles entered the game 23 point underdogs and seemed poised to upset the apple of the NFL's eye: Spygate 2007. No the Eagles didn't win, and yes the Patriots did win, and will do so until Billicheck has a 4th ring on his errogant finger. But someone tell me they saw that kind of performance from the McNabbless Eagles......thats right, no one did.

Though I may be biased considering I was raised by a father who lived and breathed the religion that has become Sullivan South Football, I believe stranger things have happened. You can say that South is a one man team, and ole GQ can prep his Red Rebels to defend one player all you want. But don't be suprised if you find your self in Maryville on Friday night, sitting in the bleachers wathcing a suprisingly tight ballgame, and thinking to yourself: "man, i really didn't see this coming." To which you can respond to yourself: "I guess vol2010 told me so." And i'll precede to pat myself on the back.

I reuse to admit that my Runnin Rebels are beat until they play 48 minutes of football that they so derservingly get to play. And i refuse to listen to anyone who tails me otherwise, unless that person also predicted Appy State would beat Michigan, Ainge would throw 7 TD passes in a single game, and that Tennessee would go to the SEC championship rallied behind a freshman All-American.

Good luck to both sets of Rebels. Safe travels and safe football to all, and to all a goodnight.

I get on here and read the first 19 pages of this thread and 95% of the material relevant to this game speaks of how South would not/could not even play with Maryville if they wanted to. Let it be known that praises should be given to Maryville and George Quarles for not only what theyv'e done for East Tennessee but also for the state of Tennessee as a whole as far as respect and recognition is concerned. But take into consideration what a fickle fruit this game of football can be.

September 1, 2007. Appalachian State 34 Michigan 32. Enough said. Appy State winning in the big house? Not in a million years. Appy State blocking a FG to win, one play after Chad Henne hit a streaking Mario Manningham down the sideline with :06 seconds left on the clock, to put the Wolverines in field goal position and seemingly save them from humiliation, impossible right? Well, obviously not, because it happened.

Sept. 15, 2007 & October 20, 2007. The University of Tennesse gets beaten by Florida and Alabama by a combined score of 100-37. Six weeks later the Volunteers are in position to win a SEC championship that not even the "experts" at ESPN saw coming. Not to mention, these same Vols that used a defensive linemens facemask (to block a game-winning OT field goal), seven TD passes (a school record, by a QB that everyone seems to hate), and two players who combined to have 35 tackles between them all adding up to beat a mediocre Kentucky team by 2 points in a game that lasted 5 hours.

November 24, 2007. New England Patriots 31, Philadelphia Eagles 28. Philly dominates 50 minutes of a 60 minute football game with some guy named Jay Feely at QB. Wait, who? The Eagles entered the game 23 point underdogs and seemed poised to upset the apple of the NFL's eye: Spygate 2007. No the Eagles didn't win, and yes the Patriots did win, and will do so until Billicheck has a 4th ring on his errogant finger. But someone tell me they saw that kind of performance from the McNabbless Eagles......thats right, no one did.

Though I may be biased considering I was raised by a father who lived and breathed the religion that has become Sullivan South Football, I believe stranger things have happened. You can say that South is a one man team, and ole GQ can prep his Red Rebels to defend one player all you want. But don't be suprised if you find your self in Maryville on Friday night, sitting in the bleachers wathcing a suprisingly tight ballgame, and thinking to yourself: "man, i really didn't see this coming." To which you can respond to yourself: "I guess vol2010 told me so." And i'll precede to pat myself on the back.

I reuse to admit that my Runnin Rebels are beat until they play 48 minutes of football that they so derservingly get to play. And i refuse to listen to anyone who tails me otherwise, unless that person also predicted Appy State would beat Michigan, Ainge would throw 7 TD passes in a single game, and that Tennessee would go to the SEC championship rallied behind a freshman All-American.

Good luck to both sets of Rebels. Safe travels and safe football to all, and to all a goodnight.

2010 if you go back and reread that 95% was not posted by the Maryville faithful it was written by posters outside the game. I'll promise you we here in blount county not only believe anyone can win but we are wondering how to stop that high octane Offense you guys are running. from what i've read the only slip up you've had was in a quagmire.

I do not think anyone involved with this game (SS and Maryville) is saying that SS has no chance to win. I also do not think that anyone who has played SS and is really evaluating the game is saying that either. I have stated (MoWest fan) that if SS can keep it close or get a lead, then they have a perfect chance to do what has not been done in 58 (or 59 can't remember) games. I also know that SS is not a one man team. Curt is very important to the team, but he is not the team. I was extremely impressed with his performance against West and what I heard on the radio against Greeneville. What impresses me most is what he opens up for his teammates. If you pay too much attention to Curt the other players are there to take advantage of that lapse. So, no one can say that SS does not have a chance.

However, everyone also has to admit that Maryville is favored. The success speaks for itself and will continue to speak until someone is able to beat them. I remember the last two years we played Maryville. In 2005 we had a huge line, a bruising running back, and home field. I did not guarantee a win, but felt we would keep it close and perhaps get the win. Maryville manhandled our line (much bigger than their defensive line) and stopped the running back cold. I was in total shock. It was totally unbelievable. In 2006 we also had a huge line, fast backs, and a huge D1 fullback. However, on offense we tried to come out and pass. It did not work very well. On defense we were very strong, but Maryville was so polished that it did not matter. Their line made the plays to open holes for the backs and the passes were all timing routes. They were complete before our defensive backs could get close to the receiver. Then the receiver (pick one) would turn up field make a move and be gone for a huge gain. We were out of that game in the first quarter.

So, while SS does have a chance (again the game must be played) you have not played a team like Maryville. I hope that SS does win (region pride) and will be pulling for that come Friday night, but I also know Maryville.

I guarantee they will be the most polished and mistake free team that SS has played. Is that enough to say Maryville will win, no it is not. I really hope that Curt will make the difference and be one more player than Maryville can handle, but it is hard for me to believe it will happen. MoWest's experience speaks too loud in my mind from recent years to believe that Maryville will lose. However, we did not have a player of Curt's ability. So, I am hoping that Maryville will have to pay too much attention to him, which will allow his teammates the opportunity to make the plays necessary for the win.

On a side note, there is no doubt that both of these teams respect each other. You do not make it to this round without that respect. There is no doubt that both of these teams deserve to be here. They have both proved it on the field. There is no doubt that both of these teams have a lot of talent. The stats and records show the talent level. So, I am expecting it to be a great game. I am hoping it will be a close game (not like the last two years against us). And last but not least I am hoping for a South win. I do not mean any disrespect to Maryville and I do not consider myself to be a Maryville hater. If you are a high school football fan, then you have to respect what GQ, staff, and players have done. It is the program we are all trying to emulate, but it would be nice to see a NET team do...well, what seems to be...the impossible.

I do not think anyone involved with this game (SS and Maryville) is saying that SS has no chance to win. I also do not think that anyone who has played SS and is really evaluating the game is saying that either. I have stated (MoWest fan) that if SS can keep it close or get a lead, then they have a perfect chance to do what has not been done in 58 (or 59 can't remember) games. I also know that SS is not a one man team. Curt is very important to the team, but he is not the team. I was extremely impressed with his performance against West and what I heard on the radio against Greeneville. What impresses me most is what he opens up for his teammates. If you pay too much attention to Curt the other players are there to take advantage of that lapse. So, no one can say that SS does not have a chance.

However, everyone also has to admit that Maryville is favored. The success speaks for itself and will continue to speak until someone is able to beat them. I remember the last two years we played Maryville. In 2005 we had a huge line, a bruising running back, and home field. I did not guarantee a win, but felt we would keep it close and perhaps get the win. Maryville manhandled our line (much bigger than their defensive line) and stopped the running back cold. I was in total shock. It was totally unbelievable. In 2006 we also had a huge line, fast backs, and a huge D1 fullback. However, on offense we tried to come out and pass. It did not work very well. On defense we were very strong, but Maryville was so polished that it did not matter. Their line made the plays to open holes for the backs and the passes were all timing routes. They were complete before our defensive backs could get close to the receiver. Then the receiver (pick one) would turn up field make a move and be gone for a huge gain. We were out of that game in the first quarter.

So, while SS does have a chance (again the game must be played) you have not played a team like Maryville. I hope that SS does win (region pride) and will be pulling for that come Friday night, but I also know Maryville.

I guarantee they will be the most polished and mistake free team that SS has played. Is that enough to say Maryville will win, no it is not. I really hope that Curt will make the difference and be one more player than Maryville can handle, but it is hard for me to believe it will happen. MoWest's experience speaks too loud in my mind from recent years to believe that Maryville will lose. However, we did not have a player of Curt's ability. So, I am hoping that Maryville will have to pay too much attention to him, which will allow his teammates the opportunity to make the plays necessary for the win.

On a side note, there is no doubt that both of these teams respect each other. You do not make it to this round without that respect. There is no doubt that both of these teams deserve to be here. They have both proved it on the field. There is no doubt that both of these teams have a lot of talent. The stats and records show the talent level. So, I am expecting it to be a great game. I am hoping it will be a close game (not like the last two years against us). And last but not least I am hoping for a South win. I do not mean any disrespect to Maryville and I do not consider myself to be a Maryville hater. If you are a high school football fan, then you have to respect what GQ, staff, and players have done. It is the program we are all trying to emulate, but it would be nice to see a NET team do...well, what seems to be...the impossible.

GREAT POST!

The kind that you want to read over twice then put down the keyboard and go sit in the stands and just wait for it all to happen.

Look man, Maryville is amazing, even I know that. What they have done and are still doing is awesome, they are a great team. But the way you talk, you must have a picture of the team under your pillow or something. Do you dream of Maryville?

Yeah, they are probably going to win this game, I don't EVER go against my team, but this time I think it is too much. But the funny thing about football, Panther, is that the final score isn't decided by a couple of fans arguing on a thread 6 days before the game. Nope, the final score is decided by the boys who actually play the game on Friday night, anything can happen so go ahead and skip your basketball game and make sure to come watch the show.

Win or lose, this will be a great game, I love my team but I have respect for the enemy.

thank you for stating the obvious for us.

because we all actually think the WE can affect the game's outcome by posting on here

Once of the most mature, outstanding, intelligent posts I have read. Kudos sir.

2010 if you go back and reread that 95% was not posted by the Maryville faithful it was written by posters outside the game. I'll promise you we here in blount county not only believe anyone can win but we are wondering how to stop that high octane Offense you guys are running. from what i've read the only slip up you've had was in a quagmire.

metback,

I'm not accusing those in Blount county of not giving South a chance, I'm saying the opening pages all talk about how Maryville should kill South, and how Maryville has faired in past semi-final games against teams that dominate region one. I realize Maryville eats their fair share of humble pie. I just don't think people (from where ever they may come from) should say that either team stands 0% chance of winning this game.

metback,

I'm not accusing those in Blount county of not giving South a chance, I'm saying the opening pages all talk about how Maryville should kill South, and how Maryville has faired in past semi-final games against teams that dominate region one. I realize Maryville eats their fair share of humble pie. I just don't think people (from where ever they may come from) should say that either team stands 0% chance of winning this game.

I absolutely agree. The only teams that have 0% chance of winning Friday night are the ones that are no longer playing and amazingly enough that is where most of the "no chance talk" is coming from. I asked a question in an earlier post who has seen both of theese teams play this year? and got a few responses but the reason I asked was it is my opinion that unless you have seen them both this year you really can't make a prediction on how the game might go.

I absolutely agree. The only teams that have 0% chance of winning Friday night are the ones that are no longer playing and amazingly enough that is where most of the "no chance talk" is coming from. I asked a question in an earlier post who has seen both of theese teams play this year? and got a few responses but the reason I asked was it is my opinion that unless you have seen them both this year you really can't make a prediction on how the game might go.

The last time I saw Maryville play was 2006 at home against Alcoa. A rather close contest until Tyler Maples ran wild in the secondary. I have seen South on multiple occasions and I am continually impressed with the poise and grittiness of Phillips. He takes each snap like it is his last. I have seen Maryville beat Memphis Melrose on a couple of occasions on the turf @ MTSU, enough so to know that Maryville will play a polished game. Mental mistakes will be avoided, but how can anyone predict which way the turnover battle will go? If South wins the turnovers I think they stay in the game because of it, but I have seen Maryville play to many games to predict they'll give the ball up. I think this one will remain close. I don't really think South has put together its two best halfs yet. I hope South plays to their potential in this one, I'm hoping for a nail biter.

I've seen both play, but no one seems to listen to my opinions because I think very highly of Maryville and not so highly of any team from North East Tennssee. Anywho, The Kitzmiller kid seems to be one of Curt's two favorite targets. He like to go to the Martin kid a lot too. Neither one will take you're breath away with athleticism. Both are decent athletes though, and I didn't see a single dropped ball in the game against Mo West. Maryville's secondary should be up to the task at hand though, Shiver is a stud back there at safety and the kids at Corner don't look like much but they got the job done against Red Bank. Plus I think the D line for Maryville will be able to get pressure on Curt and they are disciplined enough to limit his escapability although Curt is gonna make some plays by extending the play more then likely.

As for Douglas, I hope he's back to pretty close to 100% come game time. He's a pretty big part of that polished passing game. And as for South struggling with the backs and TE's, that could be bad news .I believe both Maryville's backs had big catches out of the back field last week and Douglas is a stud at TE and because of his athletic ability they use him at wideout as well.