Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

It seems as if all Quarles coached teams come up huge especially in big games...only one time have I seen them..."lay an egg" (2003)...dont expect to see that any time soon.... Maryville's coaching is/will be the factor in this game. Maryville rolls.

Maryville didn't really play well that day but MOWest had a lot to do with that. MOWest had a great defense that year. MOWest defensive line whipped Maryville's offensive line badly that day.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for Maryville fans about GQ.........We've heard for the last few years how great he is and I am not being cute in this either, why is he still there? If he's that great, why wouldn't he get the chance to go collegiate? Maybe he has?? I'm sure he makes a good living there, but he could do much better at the college level. You guys talk about him like he walks on water, and again, I'm not being a smart toe I'm sure if he coached at South, we'd love him too. Everything I've heard about him is positive. Great coach, good man, etc... Do you think he'd be as successful if he coached in NET? How old is he? Is there ever any talk of him leaving?

There is always talk about him leaving, going to coach college, etc. Last year he was courted by Brentwood Academy. I believe a couple years ago a D2 NCAA college showed interest. When he was contacted by Brentwood he said, and this is not a exact quote: Me and my family love it here in Maryville, great place to raise a family. Besides, if we move we would have to buy Jack (his young son) a whole new wardrobe (all his clothes say Maryville or Rebels) LOL He also said he has the best assistants anywhere to work with and credits them with alot of the success. This year he was made Athletic Director at the school.

This being said, no he doesn't walk on water, but he is man of high morals, excellent raising, and a model for all persons, not just coaches, to follow who work with our youth on a daily basis.

WE ARE VERY, VERY LUCKY TO HAVE HIM AND HIS ASSISTANTS!!

Question for Maryville fans about GQ.........We've heard for the last few years how great he is and I am not being cute in this either, why is he still there? If he's that great, why wouldn't he get the chance to go collegiate? Maybe he has?? I'm sure he makes a good living there, but he could do much better at the college level. You guys talk about him like he walks on water, and again, I'm not being a smart toe I'm sure if he coached at South, we'd love him too. Everything I've heard about him is positive. Great coach, good man, etc... Do you think he'd be as successful if he coached in NET? How old is he? Is there ever any talk of him leaving?

And all of us slow, weak, untalented, undisciplined hillbillies dont think very highly of you or the magazine columns you write. And the 1 point that I finally agree with you on is "No one listens to you anyway"

I may be wrong. But! In my opinion Panthers08 is trying to fire up Sullivan South. He just started getting on Maryville threads right before the Red Bank game. He told Red Bank fans the same thing. He is a Powell guy. Powell is a big rival of Maryville's. I would bet he would love to see Maryville get beat.

There will be a ton of people at this game. About half of the crowd will be fans who aren't Sullivan South or Maryville fans. A whole bunch of Blount County,Knox County and high school fans from around will be at Maryville friday night. I wouldn't care to bet you that 90% of those fans will want Sullivan South to win. A lot of people are wanting Maryville to lose.

Th skinney on Brentwood academy was that they offered him 200k to coach football. Everything that the others have said of GQ is true. This is not an exact quote but in a nutshell he has said that he can have more of an impact on the h.s. youngmen more so than onthe older college guys. He means this both on and off the field. I have gotten to know him a little this year and he his what he his. I have emmense respect for him as a man and a coach. He has also picked up much more support which has been held at bay by the old guard which are now being replaced.

He is still at Maryville because he loves the city of Maryville...or at least that is what is seems. He has a boy of 2, a brand new house, and just became the athletic director. As far as the college level goes, there is so much more going on at a college level. X's and O's wise he is already at a college level, but I presume he enjoys coaching high school football, and there is nothing like high school football. So why not do what makes you happy...

And yes he would be a successful coach in NET... "He will take his and beat yours, and he could take yours and beat his."

There is always talk about him leaving, going to coach college, etc. Last year he was courted by Brentwood Academy. I believe a couple years ago a D2 NCAA college showed interest. When he was contacted by Brentwood he said, and this is not a exact quote: Me and my family love it here in Maryville, great place to raise a family. Besides, if we move we would have to buy Jack (his young son) a whole new wardrobe (all his clothes say Maryville or Rebels) LOL He also said he has the best assistants anywhere to work with and credits them with alot of the success. This year he was made Athletic Director at the school.

This being said, no he doesn't walk on water, but he is man of high morals, excellent raising, and a model for all persons, not just coaches, to follow who work with our youth on a daily basis.

WE ARE VERY, VERY LUCKY TO HAVE HIM AND HIS ASSISTANTS!!

I was going to type something but you said everything I was going to say.

I remember the last time Maryville faced a team from Northeast Tennessee with a great quarterback. In 1998 a loaded Maryville team struggled to beat Elizabethon because they had a great quarterback(Shawn Witten) who could throw and run. From what I hear Curt Phillips is amazing. Sullivan South has all of my respect. I expect a tough game next week.

i thought of the same thing when this matchup became final.

The things I don't really feel South has to worry about is can they compete talent wise with Marryville, or can they move the ball against Marryville. South has plenty of talented young men on their team. A few are getting some looks from some D-1 schools and D-2. Some of the Juniors are also getting some attention as well. So the talent is there. Now, is the talent there top to bottom like Marryville? The top to bottom I speak of equates into how many players play both ways. Most South fans are well aware of the fact that the Big Blue Rebs are probably the best conditioned team in NET. This has been proven repeatedly over the course of the season from the first game with Science Hill, to most recently in the playoffs. In a few games our starters did not play much at all in the second half. In all 3 playoff games South's offense and defense only got stronger as the games got into the 4th quarter. Now having said that, none of those teams were Maryville obviously. Being a school of an enrollment of about 1100 students going up against a school of about 1500 students, it could possibly make a difference depending on how many, and which players play both ways. I think coach Carter and his staff do a pretty good job with rotations on the O-line and D-line keeping them fresh. I'm not sure about Marryville's rotation, or how many players play both ways. In the playoffs I don't think Greenville or M-West had many players that played both ways. IDK maybe I'm looking too much into this. On the scoring part of it, having said that South can score, yes I think they can score on almost anyone, but Marryville probably feels the same way also. I think both defenses are going to be fired up and it will be a low scoring , hard hitting game. Well lower than most people think, over/under 38.

Give them nothing! But take from them everything!!!

I'll take the over.

I would just like to second what tnnitehawk and football101 said about george, yall certainly hit it right on the nose...he just loves being here and doing what he does, i remember at the beginning of the year one of the assistant principals was telling the us, the senior class, about how glad we should be that GQ was still there and for us to realize how many offers he had been given by other schools, but he just loves being in Maryville, and obviously he is successful...also, i agree that he is a wonderful role model, not only for coaches, but for people in general, my church invited him to come share his testimony one Sunday morning and i was truly blessed to hear what he had to say, and i am VERY thankful for him and what he brings to our school system.

The things I don't really feel South has to worry about is can they compete talent wise with Marryville, or can they move the ball against Marryville. South has plenty of talented young men on their team. A few are getting some looks from some D-1 schools and D-2. Some of the Juniors are also getting some attention as well. So the talent is there. Now, is the talent there top to bottom like Marryville? The top to bottom I speak of equates into how many players play both ways. Most South fans are well aware of the fact that the Big Blue Rebs are probably the best conditioned team in NET. This has been proven repeatedly over the course of the season from the first game with Science Hill, to most recently in the playoffs. In a few games our starters did not play much at all in the second half. In all 3 playoff games South's offense and defense only got stronger as the games got into the 4th quarter. Now having said that, none of those teams were Maryville obviously. Being a school of an enrollment of about 1100 students going up against a school of about 1500 students, it could possibly make a difference depending on how many, and which players play both ways. I think coach Carter and his staff do a pretty good job with rotations on the O-line and D-line keeping them fresh. I'm not sure about Marryville's rotation, or how many players play both ways. In the playoffs I don't think Greenville or M-West had many players that played both ways. IDK maybe I'm looking too much into this. On the scoring part of it, having said that South can score, yes I think they can score on almost anyone, but Marryville probably feels the same way also. I think both defenses are going to be fired up and it will be a low scoring , hard hitting game. Well lower than most people think, over/under 38.

Give them nothing! But take from them everything!!!