Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

Here's what may become an intriguing question: I have no idea how many years GQ has been at Maryville, or what the program was like when he was handed the reigns, but I wonder how Stacy Carters record through 4 years compares with GQ's record through four years as a head coach?

I know when Carter took over at South they were a 5 to 6 win team. And he has done alot to raise the program to where it is today. That being said I have no idea the tradition at Maryville dating back to the 1990's and so on. If one of the Red Rebel fans could help me out I would be interested to see how they compare.

Another question: Who does more with what he has? Everyone says NET isn't very fertile for atheletes, right? Does that mean that Carter does more with less? Or does Quarles get every ounce of effort from every player?

Lets just try to be as non-egocentric as possible when answering.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Quarles is in his 9th year as head coach at Maryville. His first as head coach was 1999 and Maryville was coming off an undefeated championship season in 98. Maryville was 5-5 and did not make the playoffs in 96 and Coach Quarles was offensive coordinator. Midway through the 96 season they scrapped the wing t and went to their current offense. They finished state runnerup to Pearl Cohn (John Henderson, Santonio Beard) in 97 before winning it in 98.

I think the biggest reason for GQ's success is the system he has put in place and the way the players buy into it. They have had some talent for sure, but they are also as fundamentally sound on both sides of the ball as most teams you will see. That is of course a reflection on Coach Quarles but more importantly a reflection on the entire coaching staff which has remained basically the same since he took over as head coach. Teams that are fundamentally sound top to bottom can have a player go out, and another come in without much drop off in production. That may sound too simple to be true but I honestly believe that has a lot to do with it.

Maryville has beaten several teams, particularly in the championship games that "on paper" should beat them. The coaching staff is tight, and goes out every Tuesday during the season for dinner to talk strategy etc. And having the cohesion of having them together for this long is a big plus. When he turned down BA last year Coach was quoted as saying, "I know if i leave I cannot take my entire staff with me, and I would be a fool to say I have done all of this by myself". These are just random thoughts I suppose but i feel hold a lot of credence to the reason for the success. Coach Quarles record through four years was 50-8 with three State titles. Here is the kicker, he has only lost one game since that 2002 season and his overall record currently stands at I believe 118-9.

Coach Quarles is in his 9th year as head coach at Maryville. His first as head coach was 1999 and Maryville was coming off an undefeated championship season in 98. Maryville was 5-5 and did not make the playoffs in 96 and Coach Quarles was offensive coordinator. Midway through the 96 season they scrapped the wing t and went to their current offense. They finished state runnerup to Pearl Cohn (John Henderson, Santonio Beard) in 97 before winning it in 98.

I think the biggest reason for GQ's success is the system he has put in place and the way the players buy into it. They have had some talent for sure, but they are also as fundamentally sound on both sides of the ball as most teams you will see. That is of course a reflection on Coach Quarles but more importantly a reflection on the entire coaching staff which has remained basically the same since he took over as head coach. Teams that are fundamentally sound top to bottom can have a player go out, and another come in without much drop off in production. That may sound too simple to be true but I honestly believe that has a lot to do with it.

Maryville has beaten several teams, particularly in the championship games that "on paper" should beat them. The coaching staff is tight, and goes out every Tuesday during the season for dinner to talk strategy etc. And having the cohesion of having them together for this long is a big plus. When he turned down BA last year Coach was quoted as saying, "I know if i leave I cannot take my entire staff with me, and I would be a fool to say I have done all of this by myself". These are just random thoughts I suppose but i feel hold a lot of credence to the reason for the success. Coach Quarles record through four years was 50-8 with three State titles. Here is the kicker, he has only lost one game since that 2002 season and his overall record currently stands at I believe 118-9.

the daily-times has his record as 121-9.

one thing i think people over look is the fact that murvil's success starts with the peewees, midgets, et middle school programs. the coaches of the younger programs do an awesome job of teaching kids how to play football. by the time George et co. getem they are (for the most part) already fundamentally sound. Good Luck to the Red Rebels!!!

Here is the only word that i can think of to describe a coaching record of 121 wins to nine loses: Ridiculous.

Ecspecially in the Knoxville area

121-9 is indeed an outstanding record. But keep in mind that Maryville doesn't really play a strong schedule with the better teams in the Knoxville area. Alcoa is very good but are 2 classifications below Maryville. Heritage is always a very weak 5-A team they play, W.B. has only gotten better in the past couple of years and if not for a blown call on a field goal they would have beaten Maryville this year. Maryville dodges the likes of O.R., Farragut, etc.. Matter in fact they have enough students to be 5-A but they are holding off playing with the big boys as long as they can. The only competition they have in Regular season is Central. I would be the first to admit that on at least 3 occasions Central had more talent and was just out coached. The Region is the weakest it has been in years as Central failed to make the play offs, Halls the #2 team was destroyed by Red Bank who in turn was demolished by Maryville. Don't get me wrong 121-9 is tremendous. But don't get confused and think they are ringing up wins against the best competition in the Knoxville area.

As for the game Friday night. I just don't see Sullivan South being able to keep up with Maryville. Trust me there is nothing I would like better than to see the mighty Maryville Rebels fall but it just isn't going to happen. They dismantled a very good Red Bank team and will do the same on Friday night. The Rebels are hitting on all cylinders. I hope Sullivan South enjoys the trip has a nice meal because thats all they will get on Friday.

Maryville 29 Sullivan 9

121-9 is indeed an outstanding record. But keep in mind that Maryville doesn't really play a strong schedule with the better teams in the Knoxville area. Alcoa is very good but are 2 classifications below Maryville. Heritage is always a very weak 5-A team they play, W.B. has only gotten better in the past couple of years and if not for a blown call on a field goal they would have beaten Maryville this year. Maryville dodges the likes of O.R., Farragut, etc.. Matter in fact they have enough students to be 5-A but they are holding off playing with the big boys as long as they can. The only competition they have in Regular season is Central. I would be the first to admit that on at least 3 occasions Central had more talent and was just out coached. The Region is the weakest it has been in years as Central failed to make the play offs, Halls the #2 team was destroyed by Red Bank who in turn was demolished by Maryville. Don't get me wrong 121-9 is tremendous. But don't get confused and think they are ringing up wins against the best competition in the Knoxville area.

As for the game Friday night. I just don't see Sullivan being able to keep up with Maryville. Trust me there is nothing I would like better than to see the mighty Maryville Rebels fall but it just isn't going to happen. They dismantled a very good Red Bank team and will do the same on Friday night. The Rebels are hitting on all cylinders. I hope Sullivan enjoys the trip has a nice meal because thats all they will get on Friday.

Maryville 29 Sullivan 9

why does it matter that Alcoa is 2 classifications below murvil? they've only won 3 straight state championships. furthermore WB et Heritage are Blount County teams that are natural rivals to the Red Rebels, the kick you're talking about in the WB game was an extra point not a field goal et it WAS wide right, murvil doesn't control what classification they are in. it's evident you have Central bias-why is the region weak when Central is down? as far as your ridiculous statement about dodging knoxville teams-murvil has scrimmaged oak ridge et AE for years-quit whinning just cause you guys are sitting at home!!!!! GO RED REBELS

As for the game Friday night. I just don't see Sullivan South being able to keep up with Maryville. Trust me there is nothing I would like better than to see the mighty Maryville Rebels fall but it just isn't going to happen. They dismantled a very good Red Bank team and will do the same on Friday night. The Rebels are hitting on all cylinders. I hope Sullivan South enjoys the trip has a nice meal because thats all they will get on Friday.

Maryville 29 Sullivan 9

So were you at the game to see the WB PAT to tell if it was blown or not? Or just using hearsay?