Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

In some ways the 2004 team was better than this years team. I think some area's this years team is better at is Receivers and defensive backs. As great as Cade Thompson was I think Brent Burnett is even better.Burnett has a much stronger arm. Another thing the 2004 team didn't have that this team has is Aaron Douglas.

If Maryville gets about 125yds rushing a game their offense will be unstoppable. Their passing game is the best in the state. I mentioned earlier in this thread about Aaron Douglas,Steven Shiver,Tyler Clendenen and Caleb Clement. One kid I forgot to mention was Chris Jordan. Jordan has the best set of hands on the team. Jordan is about 5'10 160lbs but has 4.65 speed and is quick as a cat. I wouldn't trade Maryville's receivers for anyone elses.

Tim Rodrigues and Thomas Shuler have stepped up. Tim is around 6'1 190lbs. He runs hard and he is tough. Thomas Shuler is around 5'9 175lbs and runs a 4.5 He is the fastest kid on the team.

Maryville's offensive line is small but quick and athletic. They average 210lbs a man. They are well coached and disciplined. David Ellis does a masterful job with them.

Maryville's defensive line is very good. Justin Smith is a stellar defensive end. He is 6' 250lbs and can run well. Todd Hollingsworth is 6'1 245lbs and runs under a 4.7 He is quick as a cat. I haven't seen anyone be able to block him. Josh Cantwell is 5'10 235lbs and he is a tough guy. Cantwell is a lunch bucket type of guy. Brett Wadham and Zack Mobius split time at the other end spot. Wadham is 6'210 pounds. He is a rock. Mobius is around 190 lbs but he is very quick. Brad Heath has played a lot at DT lately. He is 6'220 lbs.

Secondary is awesome. Clement,Shiver,Clendenen,Jordan usually start. Because Jordan and Clement had some injuries other kids have stepped up. Tyler Martin,Jamal Brazen and Will Lairmore have stepped up.

Linebacker was a concern before the season started. All those guys except Jordan Halsne weigh less than 200 lbs. But! All of them except Halsne can run a 4.7 or better. Cody McCoy runs a 4.5 They are small but tough as nails.

Sullivan South will definately he a much harder challenge than TN High was in 2004. TN High got shell shocked and never recovered. TN High didn't have anyone like Phillips either. Watching highlights of Phillips he reminds me a lot of Tim Tebow.

RR, nice breakdown. Someone mentioned today that Shiver and Douglas were banged up from last friday. What's their status?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have got to be kidding me! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I was there also. The score could of been 100- 0 at the end of the 3rd qtr. if Maryville had wanted it to be. Tennessee High was way overrated in 2004 and that was about the worst perpared team I have seen take the field for a playoff game. The coaching staff must not of even scouted Maryville or even looked at a game film. To say Maryville was not impressive talent wise is insane. Sure thay have great coaching but you don't win like they do without impressive talent. And I mean EVERY YEAR! You people in Bristol need to accept your "Donkeystomping" and move on. South may not win this game but they will not get embaressed like you guys did.

I agree with you. A lot of people say Maryville just wins on coaching. The coaching is great. But! You don't win state without some horses. Here are some players off that 2004 team playing college football.

Steven Childs. Carson Newman

Cade Thompson. UT Martin

Bobby Browning. Maryville College

Brad Fulton. Emory and Henry

Jeff Smith Tenn Tech

Rhett Brooks Murray State

Dwight Wood. Lambuth

Landon Hal. Carson Newman

Taka Koyano. UT

Tyler Maples. UT

Ryan Tallent. Tusculum

Gary Tucker. MTSU

Brock Evans Union

hey you were almost on the money with their score-what did you pick for friday night? i hope or 2's, 3's et 4's get lots of reps-holler

You're getting ahead of me. I'll make a prediction closer to gametime. My heart has already told me the truth, but I'll try to deceive myself with numbers for a couple of more days before caving in.

Listen Rebel fans and you will hear

Bout the Friday night ride that's oh so near.

When the gate is opened and the Rebel hosses run out

The crowd in Death Valley gonna whoop and shout.

10 Hoss Phillips with his nostrils all flared

Gonna squint his eyes cause he's been dared.

Crosshair targets will suddenly appear

As the football gods whisper in his ear!

More to come................................

I guess this week will be week 4 of the 5 part series. I missed episodes 2 and 3. They must have been ok since you are still playing. Get the creative juices flowing ho go nice.

I know the score tells a different story in 04' but I was there, and I can genuinely say that the Red Rebs weren't that impressive talent wise. True you had a superb QB (best arm and decision making I've witnessed in HS football) and a BIG front line, but nothing more than what we had already seen in the regular season at any of the other skilled positions. Your reputation and the hype of the Red Rebs team beat the Vikings more than the level of talent. But the main factor was that our Coaching staff was on a different planet (and still are) when it come to preparing the team for an opponent. Maryville had our number and we were so use to (as you put it) "donkeystomping" /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> EVERYBODY else we had no other plan. Hopefully Coach Carter and South learned from our mistake and will be prepared. I haven't seen the Red Rebels play this year but if the talent level is anything close to 04' you guys will have your hands full with South...IF South's coaches are prepared.

I'm really not comparing this year's MHS team to the 2004 team. What I'm saying is that Maryville is in about the same place with regards to what they did against similar competition in 2004. Likewise, South is in about the same place as THS was against similar competition that year. That speaks nothing of the teams this year. It's just saying that when circumstances were similar in the not too distant past, we all saw what happened.Now, you are absolutely incorrect on at least one point: - The hype did not beat THS. They came into that game really thinking that MHS was the underdog. They were wrong.

hey you were almost on the money with their score-what did you pick for friday night? i hope or 2's, 3's et 4's get lots of reps-holler

You're getting ahead of me. I'll make a prediction closer to gametime. My heart has already told me the truth, but I'll try to deceive myself with numbers for a couple of more days before caving in.

Good post. But, I would venture to guess that each semi final game that Maryville has played vs. a region 1 or 2 team in the last 8 years, the stats are very similar to what you just quoted. Am i correct in this assumtion? I may be wrong, but I think we'll score on Maryville. I'm just not sure if we can stop Maryville very many times. I'm not going to predict a score, but I am taking the over. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm stepping out of my area of expertise in venturing a guess here, but I don't think your assumption is correct. We've met Morristown West in this game several times, and I think that they have historically played a tougher schedule. I know that on several occasions they had already played Maryville in the regular season, and I think they also used to schedule a couple of Knoxville teams like Central and Powell. That's easily enough confirmed or refuted, and I may be wrong... But if I'm correct, then I'd have to say that those Motown teams would defy these stats because they'd seen tougher competition.

Im not a south or maryville fan but I have seen both play and i will say this i have seen the best in east tennessee play over the past 20 years or so and Curt Phillips, in my opinion, is the best. He is an incredible threat, last week against MW he was ridiculous, first play of the game he went 65 yds over and around people, called back for a hold away from the play. He has an arm as well. Bottom line is this if Maryville contains Curt they win, if they dont they lose. To a Maryville fan that sounds easy but im afraid it may not be as easy as it sounds, I'M CALLING THE UPSET MARYVILLE 31 SOUTH 42

PEACE OUT

Iwould just like to add that #'s are #'s but hiney whoopins are an entirely different animal. The RED REBELS (refered to on here as )"THE EMPIRE" are watching and I can assure you all that they are not worried about MR. PHILLIPS , respectful but not worried. There have been many "big timers" come to THE BLACKHOLE (notice I said come to and not thru). GO MIGHTY REBELS !!!!

You have got to be kidding me! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I was there also. The score could of been 100- 0 at the end of the 3rd qtr. if Maryville had wanted it to be. Tennessee High was way overrated in 2004 and that was about the worst perpared team I have seen take the field for a playoff game. The coaching staff must not of even scouted Maryville or even looked at a game film. To say Maryville was not impressive talent wise is insane. Sure thay have great coaching but you don't win like they do without impressive talent. And I mean EVERY YEAR! You people in Bristol need to accept your "Donkeystomping" and move on. South may not win this game but they will not get embaressed like you guys did.

You probably were there because one thing is for sure…you weren’t watching the Mighty DB Tribe because their season was O V E R …as usual!! Talk about being over rated, weren’t the Indians of DB ranked #1 in the State in 5A at one point that year? Just because you guys pulled A (1) year out your (you know were) and made it past the first round for the first time in (who knows when) doesn’t give you the right to run your mouth WacJac!! Why don’t you wait till you at least make it out the first round two years in a row? By the way that same overrated Viking team in 04’ beat the same SHHS team the #1 ranked (one and out) DB Indians beat 38–14 by 35 points. Almost as many points as the Indians scored!! I can only speculate what a “donkeystomp” we would have put on the 04’ (wanna be 5A) Indians. With all them games you guys win at the so called “Winningest football Program in the state” it looks like you could at least win a couple post season games a year. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I'm really not comparing this year's MHS team to the 2004 team. What I'm saying is that Maryville is in about the same place with regards to what they did against similar competition in 2004. Likewise, South is in about the same place as THS was against similar competition that year. That speaks nothing of the teams this year. It's just saying that when circumstances were similar in the not too distant past, we all saw what happened.Now, you are absolutely incorrect on at least one point: - The hype did not beat THS. They came into that game really thinking that MHS was the underdog. They were wrong.You're getting ahead of me. I'll make a prediction closer to gametime. My heart has already told me the truth, but I'll try to deceive myself with numbers for a couple of more days before caving in.

That statement right there should disqualify everything you have said prior to or after. You can't honestly believe that ANYBODY in the last SEVEN years or more has gone into a game against the Red Rebels thinking Maryville is the underdog.

"They came into that game really thinking that MHS was the underdog."

There has to be an award for the Moron that makes a statement like that. Sorry Papa but you have to understand how moronic that sounds to the general public!!!!!!!!!!

That statement right there should disqualify everything you have said prior to or after. You can't honestly believe that ANYBODY in the last SEVEN years or more has gone into a game against the Red Rebels thinking Maryville is the underdog.

"They came into that game really thinking that MHS was the underdog."

There has to be an award for the Moron that makes a statement like that. Sorry Papa but you have to understand how moronic that sounds to the general public!!!!!!!!!!

You've got your opinion and I've got mine. Clearly we remember things differently. Just like this last Friday night, there were A LOT of folks predicting that the MHS streak was coming to an end. I know that I was a little nervous about that game.

Was MHS the underdog? No way. I didn't say they were.

What I said was that THS really thought that they were the better team. They truly believed that they were going to win. They had never played at that next level, and they didn't know any better. So, yes, they believed that MHS was the underdog. And they aren't the only team to have felt that way in the past 7 years. Really, any team taking the field should believe it is going to win...or go home. PS - just this season WB was picked by many as the favorite against MHS. Just another example...I believe there are some great quotes from the local paper from before that game from players saying that WB should be favored.

Leading up the the game the THS players and fans were pretty brash. Taking the field, that team was clearly very confident. They did not lose to the "hype" of Maryville by any stretch of the imagination.