Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

Wow! There are jealous people everywhere I guess. So if we are not playing Xavier then we're playing weak.

About the field. Is it artificial as I've heard? We've never played on that stuff. Tell us about it. We don't want to have no excuses. Is it slippery? Or super tacky? Does it cut hard? Or do you slide? What kind of cleats do we need to wear? 3/4...1/2...Molded only or Detachable? Or basketball shoes? Should we tape our elbows? Will it be strawberry city? What if it rains? Different shoes for that also? Somebody break it down for us.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! There are jealous people everywhere I guess. So if we are not playing Xavier then we're playing weak.

About the field. Is it artificial as I've heard? We've never played on that stuff. Tell us about it. We don't want to have no excuses. Is it slippery? Or super tacky? Does it cut hard? Or do you slide? What kind of cleats do we need to wear? 3/4...1/2...Molded only or Detachable? Or basketball shoes? Should we tape our elbows? Will it be strawberry city? What if it rains? Different shoes for that also? Somebody break it down for us.

it's not artificial...

Sullivan, South, Sullivan South. THe name doesn't matter just be prepared to have your head handed to you.

On a positive note Maryville is a very gracious host.

And by "gracious" you mean they will cut South players heads off and then hand them to them. i suppose i misunderstood the meaning of gracious

South will have to play alot better in the first half than they have been. Seems like they never get going until the second half. That won't work against Maryville. If its close at halftime then South has a very good chance to win this game. If Maryville is up by more than one TD at the half then its over.

look team. I am from northeast TN and I have had the pleasure of making one trip to Maryville each of the last 3 years with some friends, 2 out of 3 were great games. The one that wasnt? The whippin that was put on an undefeated TN High team. It was 35-0 at half time and TN High never made it past midfield. They really could have beaten them as bad as they wanted. No one wants to hear it but go ahead and give South the northest TN trophy and enjoy the trip and atmosphere headin to Maryville cause it really is a cool place to watch a high school football game, but I hate to say it, its just another level. Congrats to South on a great season but from an unbiased observer let me just tell you Maryville is worth all the hype. maryville 42 south 14

So were you at the game to see the WB PAT to tell if it was blown or not? Or just using hearsay?

You didn't have to be at the game to see the blown call. They showed it about a million times on the TV for a whole week after the game. The cam shot right under the uprights clearly shows it was a blown call that won the game for Maryville, but let this subject rest. We are not here to talk about M Vs WB, but M Vs. SS.

**NEWS FLASH**

i love how people try to put us down by saying that we are just trying not to move up to 5A.., a school cant just say "oh hey, i think we should probably switch classes this year, yeah that seems like a good idea!" no, thats not how it works, to shock the world, this is the first year that we have had enough students to even be in the number of students for a 5A team, and thats just because there are over 400 freshmen(who dont even have an effect on the football team) and because we are actually proficient in areas other than football, i.e., academia, so parents pay the tuition for their kids to get an actual education..and as i previously stated, you cant just move up or down a class whenever your enrollment changes by a couple 100 kids, there is a time period i believe of either 4 or 5 years when the TSSAA re-classifies each school, so in 2009, as long as something crazy doesnt happen with enrollment and kids get kicked out or they do not change the numbers required for 5A, maryville will move up, and George and company will show everyone that it's not just the "weak" schedule we have in the regular season, but that we really are a class act and know what high school football is all about

p.s.

YOU WISH YOU WERE A REBEL!!!!

Based on the 2006 figures (includes the sophomore class, not the freshman class), Maryville clearly jumped the ranks and should be in the 5A bracket. Right now they are larger than several 5A schools including Campbell County, McMinn, Ravenwood, and Gallatin. On the other hand, Sullivan South is at the other extreme. They could be a 3A school as, for example, they are smaller than Seymour which is 3A. Maryville enrollment (2006) is 1381 versus 1056 for Sullivan South. Maryville's time to shine is now, once realignment takes place the playing field will even out.

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/spor...11-29-0041.html

South's graveyard looking for more victims

Thursday, Nov 29, 2007 - 11:27 PM

By Brian T. Smith

Staff Writer

Bristol Herald Courier

A miniature graveyard has been erected next to the field at Death Valley.

Greeneville has a headstone. So does Sullivan East. So do Tennessee High, Morristown West and Elizabethton.

The tiny white graves represent Sullivan South??™s victims this season.

The Rebels (12-1) hope to add one more marker to their handmade cemetery when they head to Maryville tonight for a Division 1 Class 4A state semifinal matchup that begins at 7 p.m.

But Maryville headstones are rare. In fact, they??™re nearly impossible to obtain.

The Rebels (13-0) are on a 58-game winning streak, haven??™t lost at home since 2001, and have been ranked by a variety of publications as high as No. 7 in the country.

It??™s hard to talk about Maryville without resorting to hyperbole.

Point blank: Maryville is good. But they??™re not invincible. At least, that??™s what South quarterback Curt Phillips thinks.

"They play football just like we do," Phillips said. "I know they??™re good. We respect them. But ??¦ they??™re not the Dallas Cowboys, you know? They??™re high school kids and they do the same things we do.

"We??™re not going up there to end our season. We??™re not going up there happy and content. We??™re going up there to try and win and keep our season going."

Translation: why not South?

Maryville has to lose some time (theoretically), and South should give the Rebels all they can handle.

South has put up 41 points against all three of its playoff opponents, and Phillips (213 rushes for 1,747 yards and 36 touchdowns; 148-of-234 passing for 2,034 yards and 16 touchdowns) leads a highly-charged Rebels offense that is as talented as it is confident.

Meanwhile, South??™s defense has grown up fast. The Rebels defense began the season as a liability, but soon turned into one of South??™s strong points.

Linebackers Ty Garvin, Clint Phillips, Chris Collins and Derrick Fisher lead a Rebels defense that??™s forced 59 punts while holding opponents to an average of 78.8 passing yards and 170 rushing yards a game.

This said, Maryville has earned its big, scary name for a reason: the Rebels have been a grave digger for Northeast Tennessee teams this time of the year.

And this season, senior quarterback Brent Burnette (140-of-208 passing for 2,180 yards and 23 touchdowns) leads a Maryville offense which has outscored opponents 453-165, while junior linebacker Jeffrey Booker and junior defensive end Justin Smith top the Rebels??™ defense with 74 tackles apiece.

"We can??™t go into the game even thinking about their stature or what they represent," said South coach Stacy Carter. "And I think we??™re doing a good job of that. We had a great week of practice, and all our kids are really focused and just trying to prepare for this like every other game we??™ve played this season. We have to stay confident and just stick to what we do. It??™s got us this far."

btsmith@bristolnews.com | (276) 645-2569

This has been an entertaining thread to read, for the most part. I'm glad I started it.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I agree with the poster who said that Maryville did not dodge opponents like Farragut and Oak Ridge and would have spanked them many, many times over the years. We did play OR at least (and Dobyns Bennett) in many preseason games, and most of the time, we won handily. However I've heard rumors that Maryville would move up to 5A in 2008 or 2009 or thereabouts. Is this true? I've always wanted to see Maryville play 5A teams, to be in the top conference. That would intrigue me. I'm getting a little tired of seeing Maryville play the same teams every year from Region 3-4A (though it is a great region.)

I've enjoyed reading all the great comments about what a great mentor George Quarles has been for the community and his team. I agree, too. Even when I was playing under Coach Hammontree, and Quarles was only our quarterback and receivers/DB coach, he was an incredibly patient and gracious guy. I wish I had been able to play under him when he became head coach. The way he dealt with adversity after his 0-4 start and turned the program into the most successful one in Tennessee since Shelbyville Bedford County Training is just amazing. (Not to mention I'd know I'd get a good chance to have a lot of playing time - at least in the third and fourth quarters of most games, heh.)

I have to admit, though, I am just a bit little distressed that he took on a double duty as athletic director. Though I'm glad for him and I'm sure he's enjoying the challenge, I have to wonder about the consequences when he's not only preparing for the next playoff team, but also dealing with the scheduling tasks for the basketball team. How does that work, anyway?

Oh well, all this is a bit off topic though. Go Rebs. I'd make a prediction of the game, but I know nothing about Sullivan South's defense this year. I don't know if they have the players that can stop Burnette, Clendenen, Shiver, Douglas, and so forth.

So I'm just going to go to watch the game without making a guess this time around. I'd like to believe we could win 35-0 or something like that, on the other hand I'd like to see a good game between two very good teams even more. There haven't been very many teams that's given Maryville a challenge over the years (aside from all the fortuitous wins RebelRon listed a while ago - most of which I've seen. Freaky - but that's the Maryville "mystique" for you, I guess.)

Oh, by the way... to the poster that guaranteed that Maryville is a mistake-free team, that's true most of the time, but you probably haven't seen us this year. Not to sound pessimistic, but they were terrible against Central. Hopefully we got that turned around with last week's great win, though.

You mean to tell me there is 27 pages of talk on this game???? I am convinced that South will score points Friday Night. However, they will give up way too many to win. Maryville wins big 52-28. You guys from South have no idea what you are heading into Friday Night. This is Big Time Football. But there will be nothing to be ashamed of. You will just be like the last 58 teams that have played them.