Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

I think the co-op thing is correct. They might make Maryville move up to 5-A this year and make them forfit all their games. They are talking about getting all the coaches together from the teams we beat and let them play blackjact for a chance to go to Murfreesboro on Saturday to play Maplewood.

Rebel9

It is even worse than expected. Evidently some of the faculty has taken night classes, which would classify them as students. And! One of the high ranking TSSAA officials is a fan of the movie "Animal House". As a result Maryville has been on "double secret probation" the entire season.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I'm sure he would, but I don't hear anybody on here from South runnin' their mouth making Curt out to be the next Peyton Manning like you are. Show the class some said of you on here before the game. There have been few exceptions of that on here from Marryville fans. I hope you guys have an injury free chamionship game...but I'll be pullin for the underdog.

itstartshereman, you are correct I did not see anybody from South saying Curt was the next Peyton Manning. Morgan Edwards, my little cousin said "a high school Tim Tebow" and I agree.

itstartshereman, you seem to be the only case of lack of class that I have seen from any of the South fans. Of course, we are used to all the 'sour grapes' from other fans too, who get their panties in a wad.

I think Morgan is pullin for an injury free game and the Red Rebels!!! I don't know who he's pullin for in the bowl game with U.T. and Wisconsin though.

You mean to tell me there is 27 pages of talk on this game???? I am convinced that South will score points Friday Night. However, they will give up way too many to win. Maryville wins big 52-28. You guys from South have no idea what you are heading into Friday Night. This is Big Time Football. But there will be nothing to be ashamed of. You will just be like the last 58 teams that have played them.

I was a score off for each. Every now and then I'm right.

I think Morgan is pullin for an injury free game and the Red Rebels!!! I don't know who he's pullin for in the bowl game with U.T. and Wisconsin though.

StarsnBars,

It's been a real pleasure chatting with you on these boards the last few weeks. You show a class in your posts that many would do well to replicate. We are praying for Morgan and hope he heals up nicely. You keep us posted on his progess if you have time. I hope Morgan's pulling for Wisconsin. UT and that Fulmer dude give me the creeps. Go BADGERS!

PS........Food and accomodations in Mairvul were exceptional.

Here's my take on the quarterback comparison...

I think that if Brent played at Sully South, he would be the quarterback and Curt would play other positions.

I think that if Curt played at Maryville, Brent would be the quarterback and Curt would play other positions.

I can't speak for the South staff, but I know that GQ has done some pretty intelligent thinks with the QB position over the years. He managed 2 QB systems with Alex Rouse and Cade Thompson and then again with Derek Hunt and Brent Burnette. I could see him doing something like that with a Burnette/Phillips combo. Burnette would be your bread and butter majority of the snaps QB and Phillips would come in like Tebow behind Leak.

They bring different things to the table.

Brent is the better pure quarterback.

Phillips is the far superior athlete.

Phillips could play a number of positions on the field (i.e. ABSOLUTELY ANY POSITION HE WANTED) while Brent is very much suited to be a quarterback.

I'm not sure why the debate matters, but I can't help but throw in my 2 cents.

Good game Maryville. Your offense remained unstoppable, and your defense did what it had to do to contain a great player.

Sully - welcome to the big time. I predicted that you would experience the "next level effect," and you did. Whoever said that what we brought you wasn't better than what you'd seen all year was just being ridiculous. You've now played against a very seasoned, championship caliber program...what you do with that is up to you. I hope that you take it back, grow from it and bring it again next season. Best of luck.

Go Red Rebels and let's bring it home from the Boro AGAIN!!

StarsnBars,

It's been a real pleasure chatting with you on these boards the last few weeks. You show a class in your posts that many would do well to replicate. We are praying for Morgan and hope he heals up nicely. You keep us posted on his progess if you have time. I hope Morgan's pulling for Wisconsin. UT and that Fulmer dude give me the creeps. Go BADGERS!

PS........Food and accomodations in Mairvul were exceptional.

Saim hear hogonice.

Whur didgee eat and sleep at???

itstartshereman, you are correct I did not see anybody from South saying Curt was the next Peyton Manning. Morgan Edwards, my little cousin said "a high school Tim Tebow" and I agree.

itstartshereman, you seem to be the only case of lack of class that I have seen from any of the South fans. Of course, we are used to all the 'sour grapes' from other fans too, who get their panties in a wad.

You know maybe I was out of line, but so was some of your Marryville faithful on here that I was responding to. I don't see you saying anything to them, or is it OK if your for Maryville. Like I also said, winning is one thing that Maryville is used to doing over it's opponents, I hope putting down your competition is not another. It's hard not to have sour grapes when your loss is fluanted in your face by some. You have been one of the few that have shown some class, don't spoil it now. It's not like I said anything that a lot of people didn't already know. So I'm sure there has been what you call "sour grapes" from other teams if they've heard the same things after a game with murville. I don't know maybe I'm to old or something but I always tried to show respect before and after the game to the opponents. What Maryville has done in football is quite remarkable, a feat that may not ever be repeated. So you as fans have to decide if you want your team respected or hated. Your words after the games are crucial to that by many. Or maybe you just don't care.

You know maybe I was out of line, but so was some of your Marryville faithful on here that I was responding to. I don't see you saying anything to them, or is it OK if your for Maryville. Like I also said, winning is one thing that Maryville is used to doing over it's opponents, I hope putting down your competition is not another. It's hard not to have sour grapes when your loss is fluanted in your face by some. You have been one of the few that have shown some class, don't spoil it now. It's not like I said anything that a lot of people didn't already know. So I'm sure there has been what you call "sour grapes" from other teams if they've heard the same things after a game with murville. I don't know maybe I'm to old or something but I always tried to show respect before and after the game to the opponents. What Maryville has done in football is quite remarkable, a feat that may not ever be repeated. So you as fans have to decide if you want your team respected or hated. Your words after the games are crucial to that by many. Or maybe you just don't care.

Curt Phillips is a great high school QB for Sullivan South.

Brent Burnette is a great high school QB for ("Marryville, murville".....).

Thanks, respect is earned and mutual. I have that for Sullivan South, their coaches, their players ( and especially one), and an overwhelming majority of their fans.

You must have gotten mixed up with the wrong part of the Maryville faithful itstartshereman. I have been to several games at maryville and played in even more and have never received anything but respect. I don't know who or what you encountered in Blount County, but don't let that leave a sour taste in your mouth about the progra, and it's fans, as a whole. That's as classy of a group as your gonna find in high school football.

I'll throw my two cents in to add to what papa said. It's tough to say what would happen if both attended South. They ran that spread "option" offense (theres no read from what I saw, but I digress.) Brent wouldn't be good with that type of offense. I know Maryville spreads the field but they do not run the zone read play that is the bread and better of South style of offense. Now I'm not saying that Coach Carter couldn't change his system to accomodate a kid like Burnette, I just don't think its fair to jump to the conclusion if they both went to South then Brent would start at QB. Whoever it was that said that Curt throws it as well as Burnette is dead wrong. Curt runs it a lot better and throws it pretty well, but Burnette made throws last Friday that Curt can't make period (just like I said he would... ::strains arm patting self on back:/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Along that same line, Curt made plays with his feet that Burnette could never dream about making. It's all a matter of what you want to do with your offense.

Curt Phillips and Brent Burnett are both great players. To tell the truth I figured Curt Phillips would win the award just because he was a 3 year starter who put up great numbers. If he would have won the award I would not have had a problem with it. He was a great player.

The problem I have is these people saying that Brent Burnett didn't deserve the award because he wasn't that good. That is crazy. Maryville wouldn't be going to Murfreesboro if Brent Burnett wasn't on the team. He is a huge difference maker. He makes throws that normal high school kids don't make. That throw he made to Clendenen right before halftime was big league as it gets. He placed that ball between the corner and the safety.

Great game by both teams in a whole. A few mistakes on our part spelled our own doom but we played very well with them in my eyes. Congrats to Maryville on the win and good luck this coming Friday. The one thing i guess that stood out the most the entire trip was the sportsmanship and great attitudes displayed during and after the game. After coming onto the field we spoke briefly with players and Maryville fans and I come away with admiration and respect for them loss or not. The maturity and respect in their players was great post game. Till next year everyone and good luck Maryville in the Championship game, I'll be rooting you on this Friday! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />