Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have followed Maryville and MoWest threads in the past and the evidence shows that they both show respect for their opponents. Things got a little hairy in the 2nd round against MoWest but I'm thinking that was an exception. Most everybody else including regions 5 and 6 are a bunch of loud mouths. It's interesting to note that the most successful team in the state regardless of classification is the most mannered. The only group of peoples to equal that is DB and Oakridge. So from an underdogs point of view it's nice to discuss football without all the hoopla. Could be the date and most likely is but still I appreciate the professionalism. Yes, there are a few who are hammering down but not many.

Maryville is portrayed as the team that doesn't make mistakes. The team that doesn't hesitate. The team that methodically puts you in straight jackets. Obviously a level South has not seen. I feel this level doesn't exist in too many other places in TN if at all. Of course Panther will say it exists in all of Knox County. At any rate, a level of game that is pretty much nonexistant.

South has yet to play a complete game. Their defense was powerful in week 0 but has yet to repeat that performance. Their offense is explosive and has many facets but has yet to use them in tandem. Their defense is blue collar and if they all come together on the same night in the first quarter then they will be tough. For South to compete in this game all these things must come together. If that happens we will see a Rebel team we have never seen. Their motivation for beating Greeneville was not revenge. It was the opportunity to play Maryville. They knew they could take Greenville. They were blindsided the first time around and could not wake up. But for Curt to play on the same field as Brent Burnette...a dream come true. I would imagine Burnette is excited also. The #1 and #2 Quarterbacks in the State regardless of classification. This game actually has extreme significance other than the obvious. Burnette knows first hand the calibre' of play Curt brings. My hope is that the defense will step up to the challenge.

Most will say South cannot play at this altitude. It will be interesting to find out. Phillips, Fletcher & Company are known to step up to the plate regardless of the challenge.

The ultimate response to the ultimate challenge. That's is what South will bring. We will see what NET is made of. Rebel Nation.

Nice post comp, I really mean it. I would like to point out that I don't feel that all of Knoxville plays on this level. Maryville is in the Knoxville region and they have won 58 straight games. I think that pretty much tells you they are at a higher level then the teams that they play against. And I said before that I would love to see Burnette vs. Phillips. Of course the lucky thing for Brent is that he doesn't have to work against Maryville's defense. I will say that it seems like, from what I've read, that last week was the first time this year that Maryville has played the way they did against Red Bank. If the turnover bug rears its ugly head this week, then South could stay in this football game. If Maryville plays like they did last week we won't see very much of Burnette after the first half. I believe in my heart that this years Red Bank team was a better football team then South is so if Maryville comes out ready to play like they did last week then watch out. I think Phillips strolling in to town is going to make the Red Rebels remain extremely focused in this one. There's going to be a huge target on him...I'll be interested to see what Coach Carter has in the game plan to counter that. I'm not saying that Curt is a one man show, but in the two tapes that Maryville will watch of South he sure does look like he's a lot of it.

Obviously teams have been keying on Curt all year, and he's still putting up XBOX type numbers....he's answered the bell every time this year. I was impressed with his strength and toughness and it was obvious that he is the leader of the ball club. He's going to have to do what all the great ones do if they are to have a chance in this game. Curt is going to have to play one of the best games of his life while making everyone around him better. IF he can do that then the boys from Kingsport have a chance.

Nice post comp, I really mean it. I would like to point out that I don't feel that all of Knoxville plays on this level. Maryville is in the Knoxville region and they have won 58 straight games. I think that pretty much tells you they are at a higher level then the teams that they play against. And I said before that I would love to see Burnette vs. Phillips. Of course the lucky thing for Brent is that he doesn't have to work against Maryville's defense. I will say that it seems like, from what I've read, that last week was the first time this year that Maryville has played the way they did against Red Bank. If the turnover bug rears its ugly head this week, then South could stay in this football game. If Maryville plays like they did last week we won't see very much of Burnette after the first half. I believe in my heart that this years Red Bank team was a better football team then South is so if Maryville comes out ready to play like they did last week then watch out. I think Phillips strolling in to town is going to make the Red Rebels remain extremely focused in this one. There's going to be a huge target on him...I'll be interested to see what Coach Carter has in the game plan to counter that. I'm not saying that Curt is a one man show, but in the two tapes that Maryville will watch of South he sure does look like he's a lot of it.

Obviously teams have been keying on Curt all year, and he's still putting up XBOX type numbers....he's answered the bell every time this year. I was impressed with his strength and toughness and it was obvious that he is the leader of the ball club. He's going to have to do what all the great ones do if they are to have a chance in this game. Curt is going to have to play one of the best games of his life while making everyone around him better. IF he can do that then the boys from Kingsport have a chance.

Panther I watched Curt for the first time last week and all I can say to you he is the real deal.People have keyed on him all year no doubt, but he still gains alot of yardage.I think the key is coach Carter knows the talent that Curt has and he lets him decide when to run the ball or pass it.The kid is the best QB that I have seen around these parts in a long time.I say Maryville will have to play one of their best games to contain him.Being a three year starter at QB he has gotten better every year. Roll South Rebels Roll South by 7

As improved as they may be, you'll never convince me that someone is the real deal because they put up numbers against Greeneville. Phillips will get his chance Friday night to prove if he is the real deal or not. I doubt his numbers will be impressive, but we will be able to see what kind of player he is by the way he competes in this game much more accurately then any that he's played in before.