Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

South runs a read option out of the spread and they are run - pass balanced, can do either or both.

Now........what has South kept under raps that they might try and run this game. You know they have to have something. They've stuck with the same O all year because well........it worked. Every trick in the book will need to be pulled out if it doesn't work for them this time. Still, you don't need many tricks when you have Phillips at QB.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South runs a read option out of the spread and they are run - pass balanced, can do either or both.

Thanks couch that is what i thought with all the talk about Phillips running and passing. Who else recruited this kid?

he sounds like he might be more suited to go somewhere besides Wisconsin maybe a Florida or Boise State type of team.

Rumor has it that Coach Carter, on the recording of his highlight show today is just gonna go ahead and forfeit the game to Maryville this Friday night. Yep, said his Rebels didn't stand a chance from what he had heard. Just gonna call it a season and be done with it. Said it just made sense because Maryville was so doggone good. Talked about how our QB (Phillips) coudn't throw a rock into the Patrick Henry Lake, and he was slower than molasses in winter time, looked like he runs in quicksand. Said the runningbacks (Fletch, Shanks) fold up like a dollar bill when the're hit. The line O & D was so soft their nickname was the Doughboys and I don't think that was a reference to WWI. The recievers(Martin,Johnson,K.K....) couldn't catch a football with a bushel basket. The defense gives up ground worse than France in ....well almost any war. So South should just move on, count their blessings, wait until next year, and just play teams in NET because they can at least have a chance to win a few. Whew! I was worried we might actually have to play Marryville. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Remember this SS Rebs:" Victory always starts in the head. It's a state of mind. It then spreads with such radiance and such affirmations that destiny can do nothing but obey."

HAHAHA, thats a great post. I guess I'll just put a big F next to this game on the schedule. haha

I'm not a Maryville or Sullivan South fan but I have seen Phillips play several times. South probably does not have a good enough overall team to beat Maryville, but I can promise Maryville this...you ain't seen nothing like Phillips coming at you all year. He's the real deal whether he is throwing or running.

Thanks couch that is what i thought with all the talk about Phillips running and passing. Who else recruited this kid?

he sounds like he might be more suited to go somewhere besides Wisconsin maybe a Florida or Boise State type of team.

Yea ..well maybe big red is gonna try something different in the future I don,t know..but i,m sure he would do fine in a typical passing O..Makes very good reads...very good arm...No matter what Panther08 says.

I,m not sure who all recruited him...Mabye COMP..or 83 south rebel could answer that one better for ya.

Wisconsin (solid verbal)

East Carolina

Middle Tenn St.

Auburn

Duke

Kentucky

Tennessee

Vanderbilt

Virginia Tech

On the basis of strictly throwing the football Burnetter can make throws that I don't think Phillips is capable of. I watched Curt warm up on the sideline, and I watched Burnetter. Burnettes motion is better and he has a stronger arm atlthough Curt's feet are much better (not just running, Curt does diplay excellent footwork and balance in the pocket.)

Other then Wisconsin and Kentucky, I believe he had offers from Duke, MTSU, Eastern Carolina...and a couple of other schools like that.

Trust me Maryville has seen the best of the best. Maybe not so much this year, but I assure you that Houston from Powell, Stone from Clinton, and Ledbetter from Red Bank are no slouches at QB (not on phillip's level but stlll very good football players.) Not to mention these Seniors have been part of a remarkable run deep into the playoffs every year. I assure you they will not be in awe of Phillips, they have seen players better then him in the past.

As for my supposed love affair with the Maryville program...thats absurd. I just know that any team that can beat some of the teams that Powell and Central have fielded in the past couple of years like they have is special. You guys in NET have no idea what you're in for. The Red Bank backs and receivers were much more athletic then the south skill kids and Maryville had no problems. Sims, the running back for Red Bank, is the most impressive individual player that I've seen this year. Now, I know it's different because he's not a threat to throw the ball but he's a better runner then phillips and he was completly shut down by the Rebs. One final tidbit before I make my final point. South does not have the best defensive coach around. Maryville's coaching staff is unreal....they will outcoach south in evever aspect of the game and thats a given.

I'll simply restate what I said about the Red Bank game, and you can take this to the bank because I've been there.

No matter how much you don't want to treat Maryville like they are special, you can't. You try to go into it like it's just another game, but it's not. It's more then that. You go in hoping you can shock the world. Maryville goes in KNOWING that you can't. They will be better prepared then you, they will be more disciplined then you, and they will be more physical then you. The oline will be perfect with their technique and will dominate in the trenches. South will go out there jacked up and in their hearts they will believe they have a chance...then Maryville will fly to the football and gang tackle all over the field. They will get pressure on the QB and keep contain at the same time. They will be more gap sound then any defense you've ever seen on the high school level. Then they will take the ball and that oline will snatch up the south d line and backers and they will march on long sustained drives and they will break your spirits until you realize...they're doing it again. I know all you South fans are tired of me saying negative things about your programk, but you'll see it Friday night. You can believe it all week in practice but everything changes on Friday nights when you get out there. This will be just another day at the office for Maryville, but for South it'll be the super bowl.

that coming from a TN High fan that got man handled by Maryville! South will play Maryville much closer than TN High did. Forget about it. Don't wish for a similare South defeat just because TN High could not stay on the field. I will bet $100 that South plays much closer then TN High did.

I WOULDNT PUT ANY MONEY ON A MARYVILLE GAME.I WENT 2 THE RB-MARY,GAME ,THOGHT I WOULD C A CLOSE GM,BOY WAS I WRONG.I HAVE BEEN A HIGH SCHOOL FB FOR 30 YEARS,I HAVE NEVER SEEN A BETTER PLAYED GAME BY ANY TEAM IN ALL MY YEARS.

You son are a disgrace to the great viking nation, you are also a spoiled lil brat. You lost to South back in week 10, and then in the first round you got embarassed by volunteer so get over it or just go to the basketball games! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" And Rebs ease up on punkinhead, he is one true fan and he will be pulling for South, but just got a little caught up in all the Maryville numbers (those things can look a lil monumentous, but you still have to play the game).This will be one awesome game, all those in attendance will be in for a treat no matter which team you root for!I just want to pass along my congratulations to both schools for making it this far enjoy this guys it is a once in a lifetime experience! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

SIR,I AM A REF,UMPIRE IN TN,AND GEORGIA,B-BALL,BASKETBALL.I WISH ALL FANS HAD RESPECT 4 THE GAME AS U DO

You son are a disgrace to the great viking nation, you are also a spoiled lil brat. You lost to South back in week 10, and then in the first round you got embarassed by volunteer so get over it or just go to the basketball games! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" And Rebs ease up on punkinhead, he is one true fan and he will be pulling for South, but just got a little caught up in all the Maryville numbers (those things can look a lil monumentous, but you still have to play the game).This will be one awesome game, all those in attendance will be in for a treat no matter which team you root for!I just want to pass along my congratulations to both schools for making it this far enjoy this guys it is a once in a lifetime experience! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

SIR,I AM A REF,UMPIRE IN TN,AND GEORGIA,B-BALL,BASKETBALL.I WISH ALL FANS HAD RESPECT 4 THE GAME AS U DO

It's been awhile, but these two teams last met back in 1995 in the first round of that year's 4A playoffs with Maryville coming out on top 17-10. I actually went to that game as a high school freshman, but neither team is obviously the same now as back then.

That was before Maryville began its incredible dynasty of winning seven state championships from 1998 to 2006.

For this one, I see a pretty good matchup of quarterbacks - both legitimate Division I prospects - Brent Burnette for Maryville and Curt Phillips for Sullivan South. Before Maryville fans start saying there's no way for Sullivan South to win this game, keep in mind that they did thrash Morristown West a couple of weeks ago - the one team that's beaten Maryville in their last 113 games.

What are your thoughts on this game?

yes, morristown did beat us back in '03, but did you happen to notice the score of the game(there might have been more than one, i cant remember) that we played them since then? we came to THEIR field, and ran all over them, and i can assure you that measuring how well we played as a 2003 team can show nothing, because there are no players from that team on our team now, they all graduated this past may and were only freshmen during the last loss..however, year before last is when we went to their town and won, and our seniors now were sophomores then, and some star players even then..however, i dont really know much about mo west this year, but i know their record isnt as good as it has been in past seasons... so i believe you should re-think that attempted morristown metaphor..

I'm intrigued by something about this match-up. It's a long standing belief of mine that so many knoxville area teams are incredibly intimidated by the Maryville name. And it's not so much a belief as it is a fact lol. See my pre game posts in the Red Bank thread (which proved to be true, Maryville is a machine lol). But I'm curious, do you think that since South doesn't really know what to expect that they will be better prepared to face the giant. Or do you think that the fact that they have never experienced it and have only heard tales of the legend will increase the intimidation factor?

hm, thats a pretty good point, i really hadnt ever thought about that, i guess it really depends on how well south's coaches have taught them not to listen to what they hear, but just go out and play and give it their all...regardless of south's mindset, however, i feel good about missing school friday after next and going to the buro, and i dont think those chances are going to be impeded too much this week, because after seeing friday's game, i think our boy's are finally ready to play their real grade A football...