Smyrna vs. Independence

After seeing both teams play (and lose) earlier in the year against BA, I believe Smyrna will take the State Championship. Indy has a very young QB. Smyrna has too many weapons. I commend both teams in scheduling DII teams outside of their regional games. Playing the best teams you can find gets you to the big game in the long run!

Well you should have seen him last night... this kid is good very mobile , can throw, and smart. He and Indy's recievers wore out our pass deffense last night. Petitgrew ?? (spelling) he is a power back he is a big boy and inst affraid to put his head down and head hunt while running the ball. He isnt the fasted but you better wrap him up at the ankles to get em down.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smyrna has several receivers the following all have td passes

wilks

hagar

hendricks

martin

torres

bryson

sonny will be fine got his knee rolled up on at lincoln county and is a little gimpy

I can not tell you how much last years playoff run helped get this team ready for a battle every week. They understand exactly what it takes to get here and the hard work required.

Smyrna is a team and the defense has now taken the role as pulling the team to the chamionship game. One thing you will see on every SMyrna thread throughout the playoffs even from fans that hate smyrna is that smyrna is loaded with team speed especially on defense.

I promise you nobody from smyrnas team expects anything but a down to the wire battle and if it is 45 to 42 or 3 to zero they will do whatever it takes to win.

yeah a very capable junior.. kinda reminds me of brett farve and austin rodgers for green bay. very capable if you ask me

Aaron Rodgers. I have a feeling your backup won't be needed. From everything that I've heard, and from what I saw last year in the 'Boro, Sonny is a gamer, and Lord knows he won't want to sit one second of the last game of his high school career. Can a Smyrna fan throw out an analysis of their defense for me, I haven't been able to see them play this year?

In response to what Brandon said, using the BA game as a benchmark, I can only say that this team isn't a shred of what it was during that game. With a new, and much more mobile (as well as mature) QB at the helm, a tightened up defensive, and large boost in confidence over this 10 game winning streak, I really like the Eagles chances.

After a late night at Millington last night watching the most exciting football game I've ever attended, I've never been more excited. The Eagles have looked invincible throughout the playoffs, though its obvious they are not. If anyone can exploit on IHS's weakness, it's the Smyrna Bulldogs. I have never seen them play, but I know of the boys they have there and the fight they have in them. This fire will be matched by Indy.

I'm looking forward to the QB play in this game with Heckman and Gray. Heckman has done amazing things since given the starting role and has shown no sign of slowing down. Gray is a established athlete, and having played against him on the baseball diamond, I know first hand about his determination and drive. Both QB's have great wide outs, with Wilks at Smyrna(I know there are other guys as well, but again, I have never seen a Smyrna game.) and Baugh, Veres, Reese, and Parker at IHS.

Good look to both. I'm looking forward to a game of two teams who have fought harder than anyone to get to this Blue Cross Bowl. Go Eagles! Refuse To Lose!!!

After seeing the speed from Millington, Indy is ready for anything. Hopefully, we'll see as good a game in the Boro as we did in Millington. Baugh and Sheppard did a great job in pass protection but against a far inferior pass game than Smyrna. Heckman has not lost a game as the starting QB but will have a very tough challenge Saturday.

smyrnas defensive line is probably their deepest and strongest area.

they are all in very good shape and while not big size wise they can flat out run every one of them. Smyrna rotates 3 to 4 defensive lineman every 3 or 4 plays.

how is indy's kicking game?

kicker - can he get it to the end zone consistently

punter - distance and control? can he keep it away from wilks.

smyrnas defensive line is probably their deepest and strongest area.

they are all in very good shape and while not big size wise they can flat out run every one of them. Smyrna rotates 3 to 4 defensive lineman every 3 or 4 plays.

how is indy's kicking game?

kicker - can he get it to the end zone consistently

punter - distance and control? can he keep it away from wilks.

Jeff Veres (#13) is a very good kicker who consitently kicks touchbacks. You're also going to have to watch out for him on offense as well. He is a great receiver, and consistently makes plays. He,most likely, won't leave the field all game.

Alex Reese (#11) is our punter, and has been somewhat inconsistent at times when it comes to punting distance, but I think he should get the job done.

Smyrna's defense has really picked it up ever since the terrible first half play at wilson central week 10.

and the kicker Adam Woodard number 41 has really stepped up and provided that extra help. A field goal against wilson central and Bearden in the playoffs really helped seal the deal. If it comes down to him i think we will be in fine shape. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Jeff Veres (#13) is a very good kicker who consitently kicks touchbacks. You're also going to have to watch out for him on offense as well. He is a great receiver, and consistently makes plays. He,most likely, won't leave the field all game.

Alex Reese (#11) is our punter, and has been somewhat inconsistent at times when it comes to punting distance, but I think he should get the job done.

i dont want to get into this one about "touchbacks" but this was ridiculous. i was at the millington game and the only thing he kicked was onside kicks or pooch kicks. indy didnt kick the ball downfield ONCE.

i dont want to get into this one about "touchbacks" but this was ridiculous. i was at the millington game and the only thing he kicked was onside kicks or pooch kicks. indy didnt kick the ball downfield ONCE.

The fact that Veres did not kick the ball downfield had nothing to do with his lack of ability to do so. Independence knew the kind of speed that the Millington athletes had, and were in no hurry to give them the ball. On the off chance that Veres did not kick a touchback, they were not willing to risk the Millington returners getting the ball. If memory serves (please correct me if I am mistaken) the only time Veres actually kicked it downfield was in the 4th quarter and it was received at the 1 or 2 yard line. This was after Veres had played offence, defence, and special teams since the opening kick-off. He is an extremely capable kicker and has kicked touchbacks all season.

Just a thought.

Shook, there was a reason for that. You talked about it all week. You know those UNBELIEVABLY FAST players you have on your team?

Yeah, that's a possible explanation for the lack of deep kicks. Veres can boot it through the uprights on kickoffs, but why chance a short kick going to one of the return guys that can score before you blink? I doubt Wilks will see the ball on a deep kickoff this week--it's his own fault. He shouldn't be so darn good! Plus, I think he showed everybody in the state final last year that kicking to him is just a terrible idea all around.