LIPSCOMB VS FULTON

Galilee

Ruse.

I appreciate your and everyone else's insight into this game. As a Lipscomb grad, the only time I have ever seen Fulton play was in last year's championship game. I was impressed with their play on the field of course, but what I really loved seeing last year was two tough, talented football teams who play the game with class. Looking forward to another great game this year, although hopefully with a different outcome this time! Wishes for a safe trip to all the Fulton fans traveling.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruse.

I appreciate your and everyone else's insight into this game. As a Lipscomb grad, the only time I have ever seen Fulton play was in last year's championship game. I was impressed with their play on the field of course, but what I really loved seeing last year was two tough, talented football teams who play the game with class. Looking forward to another great game this year, although hopefully with a different outcome this time! Wishes for a safe trip to all the Fulton fans traveling.

Thanks for the well wishes ... I know that everyone expected Lipscomb to be back here in this game this year but NOONE expected the Falcons to get here ... Falcons have been thru some tough times this year loosing to Oak Ridge and Catholic and loosing starting QB ... but team has improved behind the backup QB Blair and OL has improved also ..whether it will be enough to overcome a very good Lipscomb team remains to be seen but I think both teams will play hard and show class .. I know Lipscomb is favored but maybe we can pull it out !! Hope all these kids stay free from injury and enjoy what may be for some the last game they play .. these are memories that will last a lifetime.

I really think Fulton has two ways to win this game.

1. They play normal Fulton Football, Change NOTHING, and rely on big plays and the spread out wide open offense. They stick with the type of play calling of the past 3 playoff games and do their... "Let's catch em off guard" plays and tricks. (this option takes a chance of DL's using there strength in passing defense to shut Fulton's offense down!...unless Fulton plays perfect and makes big plays)

-or-

They attack DL's weakness. They become religious to the running game and sticking with it. With decent field position you have the luxury of 4 plays to run and pick up 10 yards. You have to CRAM it down their throat and exploit there weakness against the run. They play Power Football the whole game. Hurt them and attack their weakness and then finish the kill with play action sucking up the DBs and having a wide open target. (this option also takes a change with Fulton's average line coming and playing Average Football) If they play normal average ball Fulton can pick up first downs with 3-4 time running. If they play below average they will not move the ball which causes DL's DBs to expect and play the pass. If the OL plays above average football then I pity DL because it will get out of hand!!

Saying all that to say this. Fulton can win this game in different ways. They can also lose in many ways... I believe if Fulton comes out and executes assignments and play together as a team... Fulton wins the game by 28-32 points. If Fulton comes out playing Average Joe ball then they win by 6. ( a late 4th Q score)

And if the worst happens and Fulton comes out Flat and Distracted DL wins by 10

I think that Offensive Coordinator will come out thinking run...and letting 2 very short gaining plays (or loss of a yard) scare him into passing and forgetting about the run. I know he loves his receivers (which he should) and he will try to throw it all over the field. I think he will pass more than what he should. I just hope that it will not cost FHS the game.

I hope he can stay balanced and not lose focus on staying balanced.

I think Screens will work well, the bubble, crossing routes and middle dumps. The short game in passing could replace the running game if players can execute and the right style of plays is called.

RUN, RUN, RUN!

With all that said my Final Prediction is... Fulton - 36 -vs- DL - 14

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!

Win this one... cause NO ONE thought you would be where you are at... and NO ONE Believed that you were STATE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***EDIT*** Refreshed this page and it made a repeat reply sorry

Frankly, Im surprised Lipscomb is back at the BC Bowl this yr. They lost alot of good seniors from 2006 and they arent as physical. They have been "outperformed" via statistics in several games this year but manage to make big plays and stop teams in the Red Zone. Bottom line they've pulled together and had a great season.

Whoever makes big plays and wins turnover battle will win the game Saturday, just like last year. Both teams are capable.

Thanks for the well wishes ... I know that everyone expected Lipscomb to be back here in this game this year but NOONE expected the Falcons to get here ... Falcons have been thru some tough times this year loosing to Oak Ridge and Catholic and loosing starting QB ... but team has improved behind the backup QB Blair and OL has improved also ..whether it will be enough to overcome a very good Lipscomb team remains to be seen but I think both teams will play hard and show class .. I know Lipscomb is favored but maybe we can pull it out !! Hope all these kids stay free from injury and enjoy what may be for some the last game they play .. these are memories that will last a lifetime.

Your comment about Lipscomb being the favored is the first I have heard stating the Mustangs should beat the Falcons. All I have been hearing or seeing on the boards and polls is that Fulton comes in as the favorite.

As for the Mustangs, the goal is playing for a State Championship. We had a feeling that someone out of region 2 would be there. Early on we thought and watched for Catholic and when that didn't materialized we figured that it would be Fulton.

i said tryna(trying to) not tyrna(whatever THAT means)....and i question the playcalling because they've been there 3 times and have 3 SILVER balls... getting there is the easy part for DL but winning it all is obviously too difficult for their staff to do...i once had a t-shirt that said on the back "There is no 2nd place. 2nd place was invented to make the loser feel better"....i wish i still had it so i can run on the DL side saturday n flash it to the fans

The reason DL has lost the last three finals is not because of the play calling. First lets get the facts straight DL won the championship game in 1994, lost it in 1998, and won it in 2002,and lost it in 2003, and 2005,and2006. If you look at the state championship history that means that the DL staff has won it before. The reason that Dl lost last year was not because of the play calling it was mistakes and the other team playing really good football. Examples are as Lipscomb was about to score before the half the QB fumbled and a Fulton player scooped it up and scored. Also on a long screen completion there was a questionable clipping call that took the mustangs back. Dont get me wrong Fulton earned the victory last year but to say the Mustangs lost because of play calling is incorrect.

It's all going to be who messes with the mind the most. If David Lipscomb jumps out front and messes with Fulton's mojo, a few mistakes here or there could cost the game. I get the impression that Fulton fans are sure of themselves, but the boys may be a little more jittery. And if Lipscomb is going in thinking about last years' game, they may have the jitters themselves and get down on themselves early if Fulton busts a couple of big plays right from the start. Fulton's speed and confidence is a big factor, whereas David Lipscomb's skill of winning close ones and their determination may be a factor too.

It will be a good game. Thank goodness for TIVO!

I'm rooting for our friendly rivals at Lipscomb!

The clipping call last year was clearly a clip. I'm sure if Lehning had it do over with, he would have not hit our guy in the back, because it probably didn't affect the play, but he clearly did it. They showed the replay on TV and while it was a bad mistake on Lehning's part, it was a clip. I wouldn't necessarily say that DL was "about to score" when that 1st half fumble happened. The fumble occurred around midfield and DL had been in Fulton territory before and didn't score. As far as that goes, Bubba Stokes fumbled inside the DL 30 yard line in the 1st half as well on what was going to be a 1st down deep in DL territory. In the 2nd half, Ken Tyson clearly made a catch inside the DL 5 yard line, and it would have been 1st and Goal for the Falcons, but the refs called it incomplete, then threw a personal foul flag, and Fulton didn't end up scoring. So yeah, DL made some mistakes and didn't get a few breaks, but Fulton had its fair share as well. I thought the game ended exactly as it should have.

As for this year, I look for DL to once again be well coached and play hard-nose football. A team doesn't win 13-14 games a year like the Mustangs have been doing and make the State three straight years and not be a very good football program. I, for one, was very impressed with how good DL was last year, and that championship game was a little too close for comfort for me. I have the upmost respect for the Mustangs and what their program is all about and honestly, they were my pick to win it all along until the playoff situations played out. Now, I have to favor the Falcons, but it should be a good one again this year.

Road, Thanks for the info on last years game. Congratulations to both teams for making it back. Again. Both teams are outstanding, and Fulton's defense seems to be getting better week by week. DL has impressed me this year with their ability to find a way to win. That is a sure sign of great team. I can't wait to watch this one. But look for Fulton's defense to prove why they are one of the best defenses in the state. Good luck to both teams. Fulton by 4.

FalconsFlyHigh/deg08.

Just using DL as a point of reference for Falcon Fans. No dog in the fight, horse in the race, etc. Fluke or not, the reality is that Fulton lost to Catholic. Another relaity is that the game is between Fulton and DL. My point is cautionary. If Fulton believes that the Catholic loss was a fluke, and that Fulton soundly beat outstanding teams on the way to the Ship, those Falcons will be walking a slippery slope. Rutledge in RD #1. Good year, not an outstanding team. Nice QB though. AC in RD #2. AE in RD #3. Underachieved. Yep, they knocked Catholic out, but when I was at that game, I found that Catholic only had 1 starter on the OL left, both starting RBs out, and 4 starters on defense out. I saw PC vs. Howard. PC does no better than 4th in 2-3A. AC & Kingston would both give them all they would want.

Fulton has improved, and the youngsters have grown. That's fine. There is always another level of responsibility to team, coaches, family, and community when one gets this far. That level of responsible approach to a championship game will be tested by DL, the atmosphere, and all the trappings of the weekend.

Be careful Falcons. That Catholic team that beat you earlier 27-0 was not the same team at the end of the year. The DL team that you are going to play this weekend will be much more like the Catholic team you lost to, rather than the Catholic team that got beat by AE in the playoffs. Good luck, stay healthy, focused, and do the next right thing.

ruse?

i agree , but then again AE beating Catholic was no fluke. The fact is, AE beat Catholic. Im done with talking about Catholic though.