Mater Dei 49 Father Ryan 7

DS2001

Although the Irish will field a strong team this season, they still were no match for Indiana`s premier wrestling program, Evansville Mater Dei On Saturday. Still, it`s a good measuring stick match. And it will give Ryan all the reasons to continue to improve.....The gap between Indiana High school wrestling and Tennessee is quite large.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the Irish will field a strong team this season, they still were no match for Indiana`s premier wrestling program, Evansville Mater Dei On Saturday. Still, it`s a good measuring stick match. And it will give Ryan all the reasons to continue to improve.....The gap between Indiana High school wrestling and Tennessee is quite large.

Did you take notes, maybe formulate a reason as to why the gap? We had plenty of kids last year that could compete on a national level. David Mang doesn't wrestle in Indiana but here in the great state of TENNESSEE. Every time people come back from out of town with their tails tucked between their legs, we here talk of a difference in our wrestling. I understand what you are saying but are you talking depth because we certainly have had and do have kids that can compete and beat anyone on anygiven day. Coach Emily is from Iowa, I've presented the same question to him. It could be mat time, level of devotion, depth of competetion etc...If theres a way to fix it then by all means share the knowledge because I'm proud of all our wreslers, we are a wrestling family so don't come home with excuses, Ideas would be helpful. Good luck with your reasons to improve, but to me you just put down our state and our kids some of which could kick the crap out of Indiana. Lets see Keller, Simpson, Yost, Cregan, Spain,Waddel, Adamson, Marable, Mang etc.. and more to follow!

The Mater Dei victory over Ryan, I think, makes a bigger statement of the gap between Ryan and Mater Dei. Mater Dei and Ryan, both, killed the other teams in the tournament. I am not trying to say that TN is a good as Indiana. I am just saying that you can't judge the whole state by that dual. Mater Dei has won the last two state championships in Indiana and the finals last year was not close.

Yes, Keller, the Simpsons, Marables, and others are great wrestlers, but there are only what? a 110 total schools in Tennessee that have wrestling programs. In Ohio alone there are 3 divisions of close to 200 teams. Tennessee would have more higher caliber wrestlers if there was a bigger interest in the sport. It takes time to do that. There are different areas of the country that excel at wrestling more than others, even different parts of the same state excel more than others. Seeing the level of competition in Ohio, I think I could have competed, but probably have not been a two time regional champ or been one win away from placing if I wrestled in Ohio. The only way I know of improving our state's level of competition is to have more schools start programs. But it doesnt help when dominant schools like Ridgeway cancel their programs. I respect all the hard work our wrestlers do, but if they want to compete on a national level, they have to work harder and make the sport their life.

Did you take notes, maybe formulate a reason as to why the gap? We had plenty of kids last year that could compete on a national level. David Mang doesn't wrestle in Indiana but here in the great state of TENNESSEE. Every time people come back from out of town with their tails tucked between their legs, we here talk of a difference in our wrestling. I understand what you are saying but are you talking depth because we certainly have had and do have kids that can compete and beat anyone on anygiven day. Coach Emily is from Iowa, I've presented the same question to him. It could be mat time, level of devotion, depth of competetion etc...If theres a way to fix it then by all means share the knowledge because I'm proud of all our wreslers, we are a wrestling family so don't come home with excuses, Ideas would be helpful. Good luck with your reasons to improve, but to me you just put down our state and our kids some of which could kick the crap out of Indiana. Lets see Keller, Simpson, Yost, Cregan, Spain,Waddel, Adamson, Marable, Mang etc.. and more to follow!

Plus Brandon Wright clinching 4th at Senior Nationals

Plus Brandon Wright clinching 4th at Senior Nationals

The man has mad skills, quickness and balance too burn. Two years ago I asked Coach Emily who Rick Mcnight had at the state tournament. Of course he told me Brandon Wright, I asked if we could take him. Coach Emily said "the kids the real deal" enough said. Rick didn't do to bad with him though, I think 5-3 or just not good enough. Yes, Brandon represents Tennessee wrestling very well.

The Mater Dei victory over Ryan, I think, makes a bigger statement of the gap between Ryan and Mater Dei. Mater Dei and Ryan, both, killed the other teams in the tournament. I am not trying to say that TN is a good as Indiana. I am just saying that you can't judge the whole state by that dual. Mater Dei has won the last two state championships in Indiana and the finals last year was not close.

I grew up in Indiana and Wrestled at Evansville Harrison and Purdue University so I have a little insight and I think this statement is true. Mater Dei is a power house. They have won Their Sectional and Regional every year for the last 25 years. The have won Semi State nearly every year and have won state nearly every years since starting the duals. You have teams like Lawerance North, Hammond and Delta up North and on a whole Indiana is tough, but there is no doubt Tennessee has some young studs. The solution is to recruit the kids young and we have to have the programs there for them. There is also a lack of stability. As mentioned previously programs are dying at some of the schools and then restarting from scratch. The administration has to be dedicated to the sport and the clubs have to be dedicated to the sport. Wrestling has to get into the very fiber of the individual family so you have to have something for the parents. It changes the way Mom grocery shops and Dad's work schedule. It touches everyone unlike some sports. I believe wrestling is the most elite of sports but to do it right are we willing to make the sacrifice of sweat and time. Do it without expectation of glory or praise but for the love of the sport. Layout a 5, 10, 15 and 20 year plan of action. Support the USWF or USA wrestling clubs. Recruit the bodies and do it. Invest in the kids! They are looking for a family. Make them part of the wrestling family.

I grew up in Indiana and Wrestled at Evansville Harrison and Purdue University so I have a little insight and I think this statement is true. Mater Dei is a power house. They have won Their Sectional and Regional every year for the last 25 years. The have won Semi State nearly every year and have won state nearly every years since starting the duals. You have teams like Lawerance North, Hammond and Delta up North and on a whole Indiana is tough, but there is no doubt Tennessee has some young studs. The solution is to recruit the kids young and we have to have the programs there for them. There is also a lack of stability. As mentioned previously programs are dying at some of the schools and then restarting from scratch. The administration has to be dedicated to the sport and the clubs have to be dedicated to the sport. Wrestling has to get into the very fiber of the individual family so you have to have something for the parents. It changes the way Mom grocery shops and Dad's work schedule. It touches everyone unlike some sports. I believe wrestling is the most elite of sports but to do it right are we willing to make the sacrifice of sweat and time. Do it without expectation of glory or praise but for the love of the sport. Layout a 5, 10, 15 and 20 year plan of action. Support the USWF or USA wrestling clubs. Recruit the bodies and do it. Invest in the kids! They are looking for a family. Make them part of the wrestling family.

Father Ryan also didn't have their starting 189 and there heavyweight who won state last year. they had to bump people up and weren't at full strength. I'm not saying if they were at full strength they would've definitely beaten Mater Dei, however the score would've been ALOT closer and they would have had a chance to win.

Not to make any excuse for the poor performance by Father Ryan but how long have they been practicing? With all of their wrestling coaches also coaching football I find it difficult to beleive that they have been working at wrestling for any legenth of time. If they did bump most of their wrestlers up a weight classification, and have a state runner-up and state champion not wrestling why would anyone expect them to compete with Mater Dei? For Father Ryan to even keep the match score close they would need to be at weight and win all of the close matches. What were the individual match scores? IMO, Tennessee has no team at the present time that could compete with Mater Dei in a dual but it also sounds like the Irish got spanked and have a long way to go if they are to win the state.

For those who think Ryan is overrated because of this score, time will tell. I personally think their coach has done them a huge favor. He has scheduled a powerhouse team early (in Mater Dei), and I'll bet the boys at Ryan are humbled, and will be working harder this year for him. Let the TN wrestling begin, but there's no shame in 2nd at this one.

To the gentleman who thinks Father Ryan could have competed better, but their starting 189 and Hwt didn't wrestle. I don't think it would have mattered. Mater Dei has a stud at 189 in fact I am pretty sure he is ranked number 1 in Indiana. Last year the score was 66-3, so yes Father Ryan has made improvements. Mater Dei though has gone through some major changes this year. The biggest change is their head coach. Mike Goebel is no longer coaching at Mater Dei, and I think that says enough in itself. He won 12 state championships while coaching. I have coached in Tennesse and Indiana both, and I think the talent pool in Indiana is alot better. I am not knocking on Tennesse but the difference in the state is that, Indiana has many more schools that have wrestling, and Indiana isn't a class system. Indiana is an open class. Just to make it to state you have to qualify in Sectional, then qualify in your Regional, then go on to Semi-State, and then if you are good enough to make it through all of that ,Good Luck at State!!! In Tennesse if you make it out of Regions you advance to State. Do you see the difference? When you go to an Indiana state tournament every kid there is a stud. For Instance Bateman from Father Ryan was a 3 time state champ If I am correct, and he also won the state title last year as well?? When he traveled to Indiana last year for the Mater Dei tourney he got beat by a kid that placed 7th in the Indiana state tourney. Does that tell you the difference in the 2 states. I think there might have been one of the 28 state champs from Tennesee last year that would win an Indiana state championship. Tennesse needs to scrap the class system and make an open tournament, then you would have the best of the best facing each other for a state title. That would strengthen the talent and as a wrestler you wouldn't have to say i was 1 of the state champions in my weight class, you could say I am the state cham pion of my weight class.

To the gentleman who thinks Father Ryan could have competed better, but their starting 189 and Hwt didn't wrestle. I don't think it would have mattered. Mater Dei has a stud at 189 in fact I am pretty sure he is ranked number 1 in Indiana. Last year the score was 66-3, so yes Father Ryan has made improvements. Mater Dei though has gone through some major changes this year. The biggest change is their head coach. Mike Goebel is no longer coaching at Mater Dei, and I think that says enough in itself. He won 12 state championships while coaching. I have coached in Tennesse and Indiana both, and I think the talent pool in Indiana is alot better. I am not knocking on Tennesse but the difference in the state is that, Indiana has many more schools that have wrestling, and Indiana isn't a class system. Indiana is an open class. Just to make it to state you have to qualify in Sectional, then qualify in your Regional, then go on to Semi-State, and then if you are good enough to make it through all of that ,Good Luck at State!!! In Tennesse if you make it out of Regions you advance to State. Do you see the difference? When you go to an Indiana state tournament every kid there is a stud. For Instance Bateman from Father Ryan was a 3 time state champ If I am correct, and he also won the state title last year as well?? When he traveled to Indiana last year for the Mater Dei tourney he got beat by a kid that placed 7th in the Indiana state tourney. Does that tell you the difference in the 2 states. I think there might have been one of the 28 state champs from Tennesee last year that would win an Indiana state championship. Tennesse needs to scrap the class system and make an open tournament, then you would have the best of the best facing each other for a state title. That would strengthen the talent and as a wrestler you wouldn't have to say i was 1 of the state champions in my weight class, you could say I am the state cham pion of my weight class.

Whizzer285,

You are nuts if you feel that Tennessee should go back to an open state tournament!!!! It wouldn't be fair and my "LITTLE JOHNNY/JANE" may not win or place in the state. Why would my school want to compete with those bad schools that recruit or out work me and my school?