Private- Public -Open Zone

owcoa

1. Agreed, but it is an advantage.

2. Closest private/independent is about 40 miles away, cost approx $7000 per year. Our parents on average make $9-$15 per hour.

Lipscomb does not have a football weight room. They have no football team. I would call using their facilities a perk...not advantage. I would think the majority of our parents make no more than yours. We just built an indoor

practice facility/ weight room that was not cheap. It can be done in rural areas. I know...we've done it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lipscomb does not have a football weight room. They have no football team. I would call using their facilities a perk...not advantage. I would think the majority of our parents make no more than yours. We just built an indoor

practice facility/ weight room that was not cheap. It can be done in rural areas. I know...we've done it.

Lipscomb University does have a weight room. It's used by University teams. You are correct they have no Universtiy football team.

The high school football and baseball use the one under the high school bleachers, but the high school has access to the University facility as well.

How did you guys raise the money? Did your school boards/county government give you much hassle? Ours keep telling us we have to have all this "engineering stuff" in place and have to use a licensed contractor. Best we can tell it would be about $150,000-$200,000.

How much did you spend and what size is it?

Lipscomb University does have a weight room. It's used by University teams. You are correct they have no Universtiy football team.

The high school football and baseball use the one under the high school bleachers, but the high school has access to the University facility as well.

How did you guys raise the money? Did your school boards/county government give you much hassle? Ours keep telling us we have to have all this "engineering stuff" in place and have to use a licensed contractor. Best we can tell it would be about $150,000-$200,000.

How much did you spend and what size is it?

The football field part of it is 30 yards long and 50 or so wide. I don't know the final figure...but I would guess over $250,000. That is with a lot of donated material and labor. The money was donated mostly by former players. Some donated a large sum.

Here is a couple of pics

The football field part of it is 25 yards long and 50 or so wide. I don't know the final figure...but I would guess over $250,000. That is with a lot of donated material and labor. The money was donated mostly by former players. Some donated a large sum.

Here is a couple of pics

WOW! That's great!

That gives me some encouragement.

Now A, don't want to scare-off the little ones. Place looks real nice, tell everyone involved they did good.

Did you have any "grass" left over if what's down gets worn?

I don't know. I would think so. The new weight room is going to be in there too. It should be very nice. Here's a pic of our old one. It's just too small for the players we have out. Also...I think it's actuall 30 yards long. The last yard line on the right side in the picture is 10 yards. Thanks for the props...I'll tell them what you said.

Open zone means...gee...you have no defined zone. You allow anyone who wants to attend. That is simply not the case. They have defined zones. I don't think zoning means squat in rural counties such as Marion or Smith for that matter. I don't think metro is affected that much either. I am for having defined zones for every public school. If you play out of zone kids...you move up one class. I think that is fair.

How about this...With the exception of magnet schools all public schools have a zone. Don`t allow any athletic participation from any student that does not reside in that school`s zone. Public schools can continue to accept kids from outside their zone, however they would not be allowed to participate in sports.

Give magnet schools some sort of multiplier.

How about this...With the exception of magnet schools all public schools have a zone. Don`t allow any athletic participation from any student that does not reside in that school`s zone. Public schools can continue to accept kids from outside their zone, however they would not be allowed to participate in sports.

Yes...I would have no problem with that. Maybe...move magnets up one class. There are going to be some more magnets in the future. I think they potentially have the same advantages as privates. If you want to play for a particular school...move into their zone.

The problem with this scenario is that NCLB essentially dissolves zones within school systems. Besides, in a metro system ALL schools bus kids in from outside their zone for racial equality reasons...so it seems to me the Federal Gov makes establishing a zone for every school not only impossible but illegal.

I could be wrong...that is what I understand the case to be though.