Private- Public -Open Zone

owcoa

I have been an Alcoa alumni and fan for many years now. After watching the game tonight on tv, my buddy asked me a great question that I couldn't answer. Let's use Goodpasture as an example since we have played them in the final the last 3 years. The private schools have to use a multiplier, like 1.8. So Goodpasture has like 350 students and we have 510 or so. Well Goodpasture is a 1A size school that has to play 2A since everyone has to pay to go there. But Alcoa is a 2A school and anyone can pay to go there also. Anyone can pay and go to Goodpasture and anyone can pay and go to Alcoa. Why doesn't the open zone schools have to use a multiplier like the privates do. I know Alcoa and Maryville have this open zone and it looks like no one can stop them. It gets to be sad when we have to play these poor private schools that are 1A schools by numbers that have to play up and blow them away in the state championship. If Alcoa had a .8 multiplier and had to play in 3A and Maryville had a .8 multiplier and had to play in 5A, do you think that we would have more competition come playoff time?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been an Alcoa alumni and fan for many years now. After watching the game tonight on tv, my buddy asked me a great question that I couldn't answer. Let's use Goodpasture as an example since we have played them in the final the last 3 years. The private schools have to use a multiplier, like 1.8. So Goodpasture has like 350 students and we have 510 or so. Well Goodpasture is a 1A size school that has to play 2A since everyone has to pay to go there. But Alcoa is a 2A school and anyone can pay to go there also. Anyone can pay and go to Goodpasture and anyone can pay and go to Alcoa. Why doesn't the open zone schools have to use a multiplier like the privates do. I know Alcoa and Maryville have this open zone and it looks like no one can stop them. It gets to be sad when we have to play these poor private schools that are 1A schools by numbers that have to play up and blow them away in the state championship. If Alcoa had a .8 multiplier and had to play in 3A and Maryville had a .8 multiplier and had to play in 5A, do you think that we would have more competition come playoff time?

I would be very surprised if you are really from Alcoa and would start a thread like this. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" But you do bring up some good points. Opened zoned and magnet schools have some definite advantages.

You said that anyone can pay to go to Alcoa but that is simply not the truth. Alcoa must accept every student that lives in the city and then can take tuition students at their discretion until they reach the capacity the school can hold. This year for example the high school freshman class added one tuition student (who happens to be on the football team). Privates are multiplied because they can choose every student who attends the school, many have the clout to get jobs in the area for players parents and draw in students from outside the state. But at Alcoa the Tuition student is an integral part of the education more so than the athletics. Go into any honors class at the high school and ?? to 1/3 of the class pays tuition but on the football field maybe 1/10 are a tuition student. So this is really not the advantage it is perceived to be. In viewing the game the only player I noticed who paid tuition and had a significant contribution in the game was Coulter and he has gone to Alcoa forever. Alcoa gets more of an advantage from players moving into their zone than paying to be a part of it.

You said that anyone can pay to go to Alcoa but that is simply not the truth. Alcoa must accept every student that lives in the city and then can take tuition students at their discretion until they reach the capacity the school can hold. This year for example the high school freshman class added one tuition student (who happens to be on the football team). Privates are multiplied because they can choose every student who attends the school, many have the clout to get jobs in the area for players parents and draw in students from outside the state. But at Alcoa the Tuition student is an integral part of the education more so than the athletics. Go into any honors class at the high school and ?? to 1/3 of the class pays tuition but on the football field maybe 1/10 are a tuition student. So this is really not the advantage it is perceived to be. In viewing the game the only player I noticed who paid tuition and had a significant contribution in the game was Coulter and he has gone to Alcoa forever. Alcoa gets more of an advantage from players moving into their zone than paying to be a part of it.

I would guess most privates also have limitations on the number of students they can accept (class size and teacher ratio) and your statement regarding privates drawing out of state students may only apply to privates that border other states. And practically any school (public or private) could have boosters that could employ the parent of any potential students in any area.

All of the private schools should all agree to go DII and all of this would be solved. A public/private split is the only thing that will make people happy. I think that private teams should still play public and vice versa in non-region games, but not in the playoffs. Open zoned schools will continue to dominate because there are no quality private schools there. Who wouldn't agree that CPA vs. Goodpasture and Alcoa vs. Maryville for the state title games would be 1,000% better and more interesting than the last few years?

from FBGIRL

I would guess most privates also have limitations on the number of students they can accept (class size and teacher ratio) and your statement regarding privates drawing out of state students may only apply to privates that border other states. And practically any school (public or private) could have boosters that could employ the parent of any potential students in any area.

I would guess most privates also have limitations on the number of students they can accept (class size and teacher ratio)

yes but Good pasture may be able to take 100 students per class and Alcoa can take maybe thirty not really the same thing.

and your statement regarding privates drawing out of state students may only apply to privates that border other states

that applies to most privates I belive lipscomb has housing on campus where many students from out of state live.

And practically any school (public or private) could have boosters that could employ the parent of any potential students in any area.

you are correct but it happens much more often among the privates.

All of the private schools should all agree to go DII and all of this would be solved. A public/private split is the only thing that will make people happy. I think that private teams should still play public and vice versa in non-region games, but not in the playoffs. Open zoned schools will continue to dominate because there are no quality private schools there. Who wouldn't agree that CPA vs. Goodpasture and Alcoa vs. Maryville for the state title games would be 1,000% better and more interesting than the last few years?

Good answer, I didn't get to see CPA play this year but heard they had a pretty good team.

Where did I say "privates drawing out of state students"

that applies to most privates I belive lipscomb has housing on campus where many students from out of state live.

You must be talking about Lipscomb University and dorm buildings.

I certainly have been wrong quite a bit in my life, but this is the first time I've heard DLHS resembling anything remotely close to a boarding school.

Good answer, I didn't get to see CPA play this year but heard they had a pretty good team.

Where did I say "privates drawing out of state students"

CPA had the best 6-5 team you'll ever see. 3 losses to DII schools, and 2 losses to Goodpasture in back-to-back weeks, the 2nd being in OT. If they had squeaked that one out they probably would have faced Alcoa tonight, and probably would have gotten beaten worse. It was a crime that CPA/GP had to play each other in the first round.

You must be talking about Lipscomb University and dorm buildings.

I certainly have been wrong quite a bit in my life, but this is the first time I've heard DLHS resembling anything remotely close to a boarding school.

You may correct I believe I heard from a quality source that lipscomb was more closely been associated with bringing in families from out of state ensuring they have a house and jobs so the dormatory housing is probaly incorrect but I have heard of DI privates providing residence for out of state players.

Personaly I think it would be a disservice to the privates to put them all together because they are sepperated by who and who does not give athletic scholarships. Some teams put more emphasis on academia and could not afford to buy the best players I would say the best 2A team Alcoa played this year CAK would fall into this group.