Private- Public -Open Zone

owcoa

On this topic.....

I typically hear of yelling about 3 open zoned schools - Maryville, Alcoa, and Milan. What do they have in common? A tradition of success.

That said, once again....can somebody post a listing of open zoned schools in the state of Tennessee? I just want to see if open zoned enrollment really is that much of a factor.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check my earlier post on the topic

Are you implying here that college weights designed for Baseball and Basketball are somehow better than high school weights? Are they heavier or something? More muscle for the reps?

I have a suggestion for your weight room...build a bigger one. If you are in a rural area your buddy with a tractor, you, and about 3 other guys can get enough surplus wood and siding and concrete and metal roofing to put up a good one for about nothing. I know, I used to fix up/rebuild old houses. Heck, I'll come do it with ya if you'll stop making stuff up about DLHS.

When would you be available, I'm having to use the front porch and its starting to get cold up here in these here hills. Shoot 'I'll even help you. Also if you could get some of those weights that adds more strength to the rep, my kids would love those.

On this topic.....

I typically hear of yelling about 3 open zoned schools - Maryville, Alcoa, and Milan. What do they have in common? A tradition of success.

That said, once again....can somebody post a listing of open zoned schools in the state of Tennessee? I just want to see if open zoned enrollment really is that much of a factor.

Maryville and Alcoa allow some tuition paying student from outside their zones. That is not the same as open zoned. Milan is no longer open zoned.

When would you be available, I'm having to use the front porch and its starting to get cold up here in these here hills. Shoot 'I'll even help you. Also if you could get some of those weights that adds more strength to the rep, my kids would love those.

:>)

Ya'lls weight room is just fine Pujo...I'm betting its a pretty good one? I'm still looking for those special weights...Sure would make my life easier.

Maryville and Alcoa allow some tuition paying student from outside their zones. That is not the same as open zoned. Milan is no longer open zoned.

They are open zoned. So are the Marion County schools (South Pitt, Marion County, and Whitwell). And every metro school in the state is essentially open zoned b/c of NCLB. Finally, the magnets (Tyner here in the nooga) and any other magnets that might play Football are all completely open zoned. I don't know about middle and west counties.

They are open zoned. So are the Marion County schools (South Pitt, Marion County, and Whitwell). And every metro school in the state is essentially open zoned b/c of NCLB. Finally, the magnets (Tyner here in the nooga) and any other magnets that might play Football are all completely open zoned. I don't know about middle and west counties.

Open zone means...gee...you have no defined zone. You allow anyone who wants to attend. That is simply not the case. They have defined zones. I don't think zoning means squat in rural counties such as Marion or Smith for that matter. I don't think metro is affected that much either. I am for having defined zones for every public school. If you play out of zone kids...you move up one class. I think that is fair.

Check my earlier post on the topic

Are you implying here that college weights designed for Baseball and Basketball are somehow better than high school weights? Are they heavier or something? More muscle for the reps?

I have a suggestion for your weight room...build a bigger one. If you are in a rural area your buddy with a tractor, you, and about 3 other guys can get enough surplus wood and siding and concrete and metal roofing to put up a good one for about nothing. I know, I used to fix up/rebuild old houses. Heck, I'll come do it with ya if you'll stop making stuff up about DLHS.

I think you missed the point. The fact that they had access to a "University" facility outside of the High School facility is something that most High Schools don't have.

I would love to build something for the kids. As I stated earlier we approached the school board/county government about doing just that. Some of the things they required: "stamped drawings", "certified snow load requirements", had to built by a "licensed, bonded, and insured contractor"; "fire proofing", "sprinkler system", equal restroom facilities for male and female"; along with many other laundry list items. Construction must also go through a "bid process".

The county owns the property that the school sits on. Not the school itself so they have final say on what and how it would be built.

Takes a little more than a tractor, 3 willing guys, surplus materials, etc to meet the above. If that's all it took it would have already been done.

I think you missed the point. The fact that they had access to a "University" facility outside of the High School facility is something that most High Schools don't have.

True both of publics and privates. I can only think of two other schools that do have such access (Tennessee Temple and University School of Johnson City). Do we have to make a new division for just those three schools? (<-- rhetorical question)

I would love to build something for the kids. As I stated earlier we approached the school board/county government about doing just that. Some of the things they required: "stamped drawings", "certified snow load requirements", had to built by a "licensed, bonded, and insured contractor"; "fire proofing", "sprinkler system", equal restroom facilities for male and female"; along with many other laundry list items. Construction must also go through a "bid process".

The county owns the property that the school sits on. Not the school itself so they have final say on what and how it would be built.

Takes a little more than a tractor, 3 willing guys, surplus materials, etc to meet the above. If that's all it took it would have already been done.

2 points -

1. Assuming DLHS has access to DLU facilities to train, is that a major factor in their success?

2. You give an example of political red tape. I would suggest that factors such as political red tape might be one of the reasons that parents would send their children to a private school or to be more politically correct "independent school".

I am not looking for a reply. I am just making observations.

2 points -

1. Assuming DLHS has access to DLU facilities to train, is that a major factor in their success?

2. You give an example of political red tape. I would suggest that factors such as political red tape might be one of the reasons that parents would send their children to a private school or to be more politically correct "independent school".

I am not looking for a reply. I am just making observations.

1. No...not likely

2. Agreed