Ranking of the teams in the Blue Cross Bowl

A49304930B

Besides saying Maryville has 60 wins in a row and George Q. (who is an outstanding football coach), what reasons can anybody give to say that Maryville would beat Smyrna "THIS YEAR"?

I saw Smyrna 3 times this year and they have a good team but I would not put them in the class with maryville! With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 players maplewwod was more talented than smyrna but not better coached. One might pick Alcoa with Rankin in charge over smyrna as well! That might be the debate. Don't skip a team and put smyrna with maryville. IMO when comparing the best of the best football programs put classification out the window unless your trying to win the contest of who has the most students. When making comparisons 5A schools love to play that card. Unless there is some rule that says because your 5A you can play with more than 11 what difference does it make. When you get to the championships every team can play regardless! Again, smyrna is a good team and as a fan would love to see some midstate vs eastern match-ups.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides saying Maryville has 60 wins in a row and George Q. (who is an outstanding football coach), what reasons can anybody give to say that Maryville would beat Smyrna "THIS YEAR"?

I saw Smyrna 3 times this year and they have a good team but I would not put them in the class with maryville! With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 players maplewwod was more talented than smyrna but not better coached. One might pick Alcoa with Rankin in charge over smyrna as well! That might be the debate. Don't skip a team and put smyrna with maryville. IMO when comparing the best of the best football programs put classification out the window unless your trying to win the contest of who has the most students. When making comparisons 5A schools love to play that card. Unless there is some rule that says because your 5A you can play with more than 11 what difference does it make. When you get to the championships every team can play regardless! Again, smyrna is a good team and as a fan would love to see some midstate vs eastern match-ups.

Until Maryville plays and beats top 5a or DII AA teams...not many are going to think they are the best. They may be...but after watching them...I don't think they were this year.

The reason is I saw Smyrna...Riverdale...MBA...BA...and I don't think Maryville would have beaten any of them. JMHO

Until Maryville plays and beats top 5a or DII AA teams...not many are going to think they are the best. They may be...but after watching them...I don't think they were this year.

The reason is I saw Smyrna...Riverdale...MBA...BA...and I don't think Maryville would have beaten any of them. JMHO

I concur - was a little disappointed in the finals for the Rebels this year. They didn't look as disciplined as I have seen them in the past. They are supposedly pretty young so if the mature as in the past I would look for them to keep on winning. Maplewood was very athletic but didn't have the depth to play a hard 48. I think Smyrna would end the streak.

1.) Maryville: 60 STRAIGHT & 4 TITLES IN A ROW IS UNBELIEVABLE

2.) Smyrna: Back-to-Back titles in 5A is impressive but it's not 4 IN A ROW

3.) Alcoa: Tornadoes continue to blow through 2A but I can't rate them above 4A & 5A's best teams

4.) David Lipscomb: the Mustangs prove that the third time is a charm to win the third title a 1ST IN 3A

5.) Maplewood: the Panthers are athletic and well coached GIVE THEM CREDIT!!

6.) Independence: new school got put on the big stage for the first time last night and they'll be back

7.) Fulton: the Falcons have won 3 out of 5 titles in 3A but mistakes killed them this weekend

8.) Goodpasture: 55-13, 31-3, & 35-3 in three games against Alcoa. #2 is nothing to be sad about.

9.) South Pittsburg: 1A best team by far cruised to a state title. Would love to see them have played some 2A teams

10.) McKenzie: great quarterback but the line stayed in west-TN when the ball was kicked off Friday afternoon.

We BEAT 3 2A teams this year-Marion Co. 47-19; Tyner 25-21; Boyd Buchanan 47-7. only spots we had open on schedule other than region games.

Here is a somewhat unbiased opinion on the Pirates of South Pitt. I have seen this team a number of times this year since Marion made another early exit as usual. This Pirate team, as we all know would have beaten all 1A teams rather handily this year. They could have beaten most teams in 2A as well. I believe 75% of 3A would have fallen to the pirates. 4A and 5A, there are some teams that they could beat, but probably not half of them. The problem that they would have is when they came up against teams that could match their speed, and had more size than they did. Hampton was big and had a little speed, but that 350 pounder wouldn't have played on the good, higher class teams. I will say that South Pitt is probably one of the fastest teams in the state with 5 or 6 who run a 4.6 or better. I think Alcoa definitely would have beaten them up with their offense. South pitt did struggle with Tyner's speed and Alcoa is lightyear's ahead of them. They would beat, I believe Red Bank in 4A, who was ranked all year. They would, however struggle with teams that passed the ball and had a good line. McKenzie dropped a ton of balls early that could have had them sticking around for at least a quarter. Some say this is the best South Pitt team ever, but I would disagree with that because that 94 team, although not as talented on offense, had a shut-down defense, and this pirate group didn't.

Thanks, Truth, you have pretty much nailed it!!!Thanks for the confidence of the '94 team, for some reason I am partial to that group of guys!!! All four of our championship teams have their own personality and strengths. Yes, the 94 team defense was stronger than the 07 champs BUT they are all 4 just that.... CHAMPIONS!!

1. Smyrna

2. Maryville

3. Maplewood

4. Alcoa

5. Independence

6. So. Pittsburg

7. David Lipscomb

8. Fulton

9. Goodpasture

10. McKenzie

I really think Smyrnawould handle Maryville this year, too many skill guys. Maplewood impressed me, they looked well coached. Fulton is much better than they played and this ranking is only based on this weekend.

I think Lipscomb has a great team but I don't think they are better than Alcoa, Maple wood or Symrna.

But it is just an opinion no nobody knows for sure. As far as Lipscomb being the best coached team in the state I think George Quarles might have something to say about that. DL beat Alcoa 4 years ago with 6 sophomores starting, that same same year Oliver Springs beat them to , So What.

Dont get me wrong Coach Quarles is an unbelievable Coach. The difference I see if year in an year out Maryville has unbelievable athletes that sign D-1 as well as some good high school football players. Lipscomb has alot more good high school football players then athletes. That is why I think Coach Mac is the best because of the success he has had without alot of D-1 quality athletes. However its just an opinion but I think Maryville is awesome, I love watching them play every year and honeslty hopes their streak continues. DL would beat Maplewood every time coach MAC has played a metro team Lipscomb wins just ask Hillsboro, Hillwood, Pearl Cohn,and Stratford. AS I have stated before Alcoa or Smyrna could beat DL but I think DL could beat them to. Lipscomb always beats teams that by in large have better players than them just ask Fulton. With all of Lipscombs succes and them not having more than five players since Coach Mac has been there sign D-1 dont you think that is a strong evidence towards them being the best team in the state. Jut of curiousity how many players in recent times has Maryville had go division 1? Again much respect to Coach Quarles and his staff they are top notch.

Dont get me wrong Coach Quarles is an unbelievable Coach. The difference I see if year in an year out Maryville has unbelievable athletes that sign D-1 as well as some good high school football players. Lipscomb has alot more good high school football players then athletes. That is why I think Coach Mac is the best because of the success he has had without alot of D-1 quality athletes. However its just an opinion but I think Maryville is awesome, I love watching them play every year and honeslty hopes their streak continues. DL would beat Maplewood every time coach MAC has played a metro team Lipscomb wins just ask Hillsboro, Hillwood, Pearl Cohn,and Stratford. AS I have stated before Alcoa or Smyrna could beat DL but I think DL could beat them to. Lipscomb always beats teams that by in large have better players than them just ask Fulton. With all of Lipscombs succes and them not having more than five players since Coach Mac has been there sign D-1 dont you think that is a strong evidence towards them being the best team in the state. Jut of curiousity how many players in recent times has Maryville had go division 1? Again much respect to Coach Quarles and his staff they are top notch.

Alcoa would absolutely maul Lipscomb just as the did Goodpasture. I don't think anyone who knows anything about football would dispute that. Maplewood would too. Maryville does not have a great number of DI players either.

1. Maryville

2. Smyrna

3. Alcoa

4.Lipscomb

5. Fulton

6. Maplewood

7. Independence

8. South Pittsburg

9. Goodpasture

10. McKenzie

I think MBA would be first in this list and Brentwood Academy would be between Maryville and Smyrna.

I like this lineup with one exception. Goodpasture beat DL earlier so I would put DL at 7th.

1.Maryville: George Quarles does not loose and until they are beat they are the best team in the state.

2a.Smyrna: Indepenence looked as if they had little tallent if Smyrna had played a better team I might have allotted them the sole 2 spot but from what I saw a smyrna Alcoa matchup would be a real good game.

2b.Alcoa: blew by every team but Maryville and are great at every aspect of the game.

4.South Pitt: Score Board.

5.Maplewood: Outstanding players they just did not appear to be that great of a team, but playing Maryville can do that.

6.Lipscomb: Very bland lost to Goodpasture who Alcoa steam rolled

7.Fulton. Talented but made too many mistakes

8.Goodpasture: Beating the 3A champs counts for something.

9.Independence: They did not look like a championship caliber team at all I was very dissapointed with them being a represenative in the all mighty 5A classification.

10.Mckennzie: Once again, Score Board.

Alcoa would absolutely maul Lipscomb just as the did Goodpasture. I don't think anyone who knows anything about football would dispute that. Maplewood would too. Maryville does not have a great number of DI players either.

I was unaware that people from Carthage knew so much about football. Since they have won so many state titles and playoff games I guess that is there experience. Or maybe since they watch the Blue Cross bowl every year instead of playing in it they know so much. Lipscomb could beat Alcoa and Alcoa could beat Lipscomb. Its nothing new for Lipscomb to beat teams with far superior talent just ask Fulton and Mitchell. However Carthage would not know anything about winning championships. And no one who knows anything about football would dispute that.