SP Coach Tribute to his Father

#1landerfan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To honer his father, coach Grider run the old wingle wing play. Click on the link for the full story

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/t...&zoneid=133

Would love to have a dollar for every time we ran that play. Blocking back and fullback kicking the end out, guards pulling hitting the six hole, and the 4 back ( TAILBACK ) taking it to the house. I miss it!

I really miss calling So. Pittsburg games on the radio and saying side-saddle single wing. Great job by Vic, Heath and all the guys. Don Grider was a great man and treated me with respect even when I was a very young broadcaster. So. Pittsburg was my first play by play job and I miss all of many friends and WEPG. By the way they really talked up Carl Mount on the TV broadcast saying they got a lot of good info from him before they went on the air...

Congrats to the Pirates,

Lucky Knott

I really miss calling So. Pittsburg games on the radio and saying side-saddle single wing. Great job by Vic, Heath and all the guys. Don Grider was a great man and treated me with respect even when I was a very young broadcaster. So. Pittsburg was my first play by play job and I miss all of many friends and WEPG. By the way they really talked up Carl Mount on the TV broadcast saying they got a lot of good info from him before they went on the air...

Congrats to the Pirates,

Lucky Knott

Hello good friend. It would have been nice when we were doing the games to get the opportunity to do a championship game. I know you were able to do it but I never had the chance. There was a certain barber that has a shop in downtown SP told me to tell you hello. How about those Pirates? Pretty good don't you think?

Awesome tribute,

Perry county ran the Single wing exclusivly during the 2006 season. that power play was one of their bread and butter plays as well. i love seeing those formations.

congrats on the championship season. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

To honer his father, coach Grider run the old wingle wing play. Click on the link for the full story

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/t...&zoneid=133

I wish I could have seen that!! I knew Coach Grider and have met Vic, what a class bunch of people. I had a tear reading about the "play". What a great tribute to Coach Grider during a majical season. Congrats Vic and to all the Pirates!!

Would love to have a dollar for every time we ran that play. Blocking back and fullback kicking the end out, guards pulling hitting the six hole, and the 4 back ( TAILBACK ) taking it to the house. I miss it!

Congrats to SP; what a great tribute to Coach Grider's father.

That's the way to run it...simple, powerful & so very effective. 46 Power (we call it 16 Power at our Middle School). If blocked correctly, almost impossible to stop unless you cheat your defense to that Off-Tackle area & when you do, it opens up a whole lot of complimentary plays...

Awesome tribute,

Perry county ran the Single wing exclusivly during the 2006 season. that power play was one of their bread and butter plays as well. i love seeing those formations.

congrats on the championship season. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I didn't know anyone was running the single wing. The players who ran that play Friday had never seen the single wing...they are too young. SP quit running it over 15 years ago. They only got to line up in it once on Thursday afternoon after the walk through so it wasn't perfect but it got the message across

I didn't know anyone was running the single wing. The players who ran that play Friday had never seen the single wing...they are too young. SP quiet running it over 15 years ago. They only got to line up in it once on Thursday afternoon after the walk through so it wasn't perfect but it got the message across

currently no one in tennessee is running it other than a youth program in Nashville coached by Al Corlew. Perry county high ran it in 2006, that coach is now at Haywood High in west tennessee.