Riverdale's David Spurlock

tdntn

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being from the Knoxville area, I did not get to see a lot of him. saw him this past summer at a SR. camp at UT, on TV against Smyrna, and then at a practice this past week, and the game. Too bad he got caught in a bit of a numbers game. Kid has a great frame, good feet, and a natural feel for the OG position. Seems to move really well in space, and has good vision, which is a very underrated attribute for OLs. Has nice anticipation for where, when a scraping LB is going to be, and times his footwork well to put himself in a position to get between himself and the ball carrier. He bends at the hips fairly well, but not great. If he gets a bit more flexible through his "core" and really works on his power clean lift, he will improve greatly in that area. He will need to at the next level to ensure that he has continued success with his drive blocking. He has good reach, and long arms which seemed to help him lock on while drive blocking, pulling, and in pass protection. Working the power clean, and getting some more flexibility will make his punch even better. What I really like about him is that he seems suited to an offense that runs a good amount of screens and draws. FSU does. He can set quickly, drop step, and get upfield 15 yards in a hurry, while maintaing his balance. Nice player, and better than a 3*, IMO. Good luck to him.

ruse?

Being from the Knoxville area, I did not get to see a lot of him. saw him this past summer at a SR. camp at UT, on TV against Smyrna, and then at a practice this past week, and the game. Too bad he got caught in a bit of a numbers game. Kid has a great frame, good feet, and a natural feel for the OG position. Seems to move really well in space, and has good vision, which is a very underrated attribute for OLs. Has nice anticipation for where, when a scraping LB is going to be, and times his footwork well to put himself in a position to get between himself and the ball carrier. He bends at the hips fairly well, but not great. If he gets a bit more flexible through his "core" and really works on his power clean lift, he will improve greatly in that area. He will need to at the next level to ensure that he has continued success with his drive blocking. He has good reach, and long arms which seemed to help him lock on while drive blocking, pulling, and in pass protection. Working the power clean, and getting some more flexibility will make his punch even better. What I really like about him is that he seems suited to an offense that runs a good amount of screens and draws. FSU does. He can set quickly, drop step, and get upfield 15 yards in a hurry, while maintaing his balance. Nice player, and better than a 3*, IMO. Good luck to him.

ruse?

Good observations, but I will add that the kid is a exceptionally efficient at the power clean lift. He has said to be able to hang clean 330 lbs. I can see him becoming something special when working with a coach such as Trickett at Florida State. What impresses me the most about this player is his willingness to become physical. This is a trait that you normally do not see in young offensive linemen.