MBA 215

HSDAD

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that he would be back after the football all-star games (Jan. 1, 2008) and I was also told that he was no longer going to wrestle. MBA has been hit hard (4 or 5 starting wrestlers) with football players electing not to wrestle after winning a state football title.

I heard that he would be back after the football all-star games (Jan. 1, 2008) and I was also told that he was no longer going to wrestle. MBA has been hit hard (4 or 5 starting wrestlers) with football players electing not to wrestle after winning a state football title.

How many were seniors?

I know the 215 will be at UT next year but if his heart isn't in it, he dosn't need to be on the mat.

How many were seniors?

I know the 215 will be at UT next year but if his heart isn't in it, he dosn't need to be on the mat.

Mostly juniors who are working to get bigger, stronger, faster for next football season. They're dedicated first to football. This year's experience was apparently so good that they're very focused on repeating.

Mostly juniors who are working to get bigger, stronger, faster for next football season. They're dedicated first to football. This year's experience was apparently so good that they're very focused on repeating.

Personally, I think that's a crock. You want to get bigger, stonger, faster, and develop some mental toughness, lift and wrestle. Especially if you are a lineman-the handfighting skills alone are worth wrestling. If that's the reason they give then I'm inclined to believe that they just want some time off. And that's fine, not everyone can handle multiple sports and need some down time to recharge and study (being mba and all), but I ain't buying that "they want to get bigger stronger faster" so they quit bull.

Personally, I think that's a crock. You want to get bigger, stonger, faster, and develop some mental toughness, lift and wrestle. Especially if you are a lineman-the handfighting skills alone are worth wrestling. If that's the reason they give then I'm inclined to believe that they just want some time off. And that's fine, not everyone can handle multiple sports and need some down time to recharge and study (being mba and all), but I ain't buying that "they want to get bigger stronger faster" so they quit bull.

Ohio State football: Work on mat can be edge on line

Buckeyes past, present excelled as wrestlers, too

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

BY KEN GORDON

The Columbus Dispatch

Size doesn't impress Luke Fickell.

Each year, Ohio State's co-defensive coordinator evaluates dozens, maybe hundreds of high school football players while recruiting.

They're all big, all fast, all strong.

But tell Fickell a kid is a standout wrestler, and he'll get a gleam in his eye. Now he's interested.

"We talk about competitiveness, and I don't think there's a better sport to look at someone's competitiveness than wrestling," Fickell said. "You can tell (with wrestlers), it's something that's one-on-one competitive, and that's what we're trying to look for.

"You can't define it. You don't know what someone has got inside their chest and their heart, but if you know they've been one on one and they've got that competitive nature ??¦ "

Fickell knows. He was a three-time state champion wrestler at DeSales, and as a defensive lineman at Ohio State he set a school record for consecutive starts (50).

Since then, several Buckeyes have gone from being high school wrestling stars to successful football careers, including offensive lineman Alex Stepanovich and defensive tackle Tim Anderson, each now in the NFL.

This season, defensive tackle Dexter Larimore appears ready to uphold that tradition.

He was the nation's top-ranked heavyweight wrestler two years ago at Merrillville (Ind.) High School. Just a redshirt freshman, Larimore had a stellar spring and will see extensive playing time this fall.

Technique has a lot to do with what makes wrestlers successful linemen. They are accustomed to being tied up, pretzel-like, with an opponent.

"I know a little bit more about leverage than some defensive linemen do," Larimore said, "so it helps that I can just keep a little bit lower center of gravity. I just try and work guys into kind of backwards positions for them, but it's kind of natural for me."

Offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Jim Bollman said he notices wrestlers tend to be adept at getting their hands in proper position, which is a key to blocking or defeating a block.

"The quickness and strength of their hands inside is becoming a much bigger part of the football game nowadays," Bollman said. "And I think that (wrestlers) have a little bit of a head start."

But as Fickell said, it's the intangible desire that translates well to football. Wrestlers famously have a warrior mentality. Injuries and fatigue are no excuse.

"When you're a wrestler, you have to put a lot on yourself if you want to be good," Stepanovich said. "It teaches you that every day in wrestling you're not going to feel good. You're going to have bumps and bruises. You've got to be able to grind it out. I think that helps in football."

Larimore said he thinks wrestling makes him better equipped to handle adversity, such as the heat and humidity the Buckeyes practiced in last week.

"Wrestling is so hard and just so physically taxing on your body, that I get out there (for football practice) and a lot of guys will mentally break: 'It's hot,' and I just keep working and trying to get better," he said.

"I just can basically push myself to a point where I physically can't go anymore. I think wrestling instills that mentality."

Another wrestler is in the Ohio State pipeline. Defensive tackle Garrett Goebel of Lombard, Ill., recently orally committed to the 2008 recruiting class. He won his state's heavyweight title in the spring.

"My nasty attitude comes from wrestling," Goebel told the Chicago Sun Times. "You can't be a nice guy and be an accomplished wrestler. You have to want to stick a guy's nose into the mat.

"In football, I want to hurt the other guy. I want to knock him down all the time."

He sounds like Fickell's type.

Dispatch reporter Bill Rabinowitz contributed to this story.

kgordon@dispatch.com

How Participation In Wrestling Can Benefit The Football Player

by Robert C. Loveless,

Instructor of Health, Physical Education and Recreation

Thiel College,

Greenville, Pennsylvania

In this, the era of sport specialization, many young men feel that in order to excel in one individual sport; they must devote their entire training regime to that particular sport. This concept is indeed unfortunate to many athletes in the sense that skills associated with one sport may compliment the skills associated with and demanded by an entirely different sport.

No stronger correlation exists between that of football and wrestling. Far too often the football player can be found in the weight room concentrating on developing upper body strength through such exercises as curls, bench presses, etc., after the completion of the regular season. Now obviously, weight training conducted in the proper manner serves as an excellent supplement to any training program. Unfortunately, however, in many cases the athlete who is constantly "pumping iron" may be the same athlete who is neglecting such developmental areas as agility, reaction time, flexibility, balance awareness and cardiovascular endurance.

The sport of wrestling, therefore, can be of particular value to football players. Wrestling not only provides a more qualified football candidate, but it also gives him a unique kind of training he can receive nowhere else.

The following nine reasons should be considered by football candidates in regards to why they should participate in wrestling. (particularly in the high school level):

1. Wrestling helps eliminate fear of harsh body contact.

2. Wrestling maintains muscle flow and supple pliability.

3. Wrestling teaches the athlete to roll with a fall and avoid injury.

4. Wrestling will help the athlete in the development of timing.

5. Wrestling will aid in the development of coordination.

6. Wrestling will improve one's sense of balance.

7. Wrestling will provide flexibility and stretching of the muscles for bulky linemen as well as lean running backs.

8. Wrestling serves as an excellent cardiovascular endurance training program during the "off season" (this aspect is often neglected by the football players who feel that power lifting is the cure for all problems). As one great Olympic weight lifter once said, "It does me absolutely no good whatsoever if I have a million dollar body with a ten cent heart." This could be one of the reasons why every football season it is not uncommon to hear of players passing out and dying during pre-season workouts. Certainly it gives one something to think about and raises many questions in the area of cardiovascular conditioning required for football.

9. Wrestling starts the athlete thinking about moves to counter his adversary.

Now granted, wrestling is not the solution to all conditioning and training problems, but it comes pretty close. Certainly it is an alternative which should be considered by the high school football player who is too short for or has no desire to play basketball and is seeking a way to add to his weight training program in a way that will in turn assist him in the development of skills associated with football. Success in wrestling is dependent primarily upon strength, agility and endurance, in addition to knowledge of the correct techniques. If a person is strong and agile, it is likely that he can develop into an excellent wrestler. In addition to the physical benefits one will experience through wrestling are the ???side effects" that also develop within wrestlers. Such characteristics as self- discipline, nutrition awareness and self confidence. This is valuable training that is found in wrestling perhaps more than any other sport. So, football players, after you play your last game of the season, when you??™re on your way to the weight room, don't pass by the wrestling room too quickly, as you may also be passing by a great opportunity to develop valuable skills used in football

I guess you're right. The MBA football off-season program doesn't apprear to be working very well for them. Especially, their line. It was especially poor this past year.

I guess you're right. The MBA football off-season program doesn't appear to be working very well for them. Especially, their line. It played very poorly this past year.

BL,

Great post and great article. Evidently, Red77 must not have read. MBA won the state this past year in football so everything is great. Have to get in the weight room, weight room, weight room. MBA had a great line this year. I guess Preston Bailey was small until he started working out in the weight room. Amazing!

IMO, they should be refered to as CS and I will leave it up to everyones imagination to break the code. Were they scared that Baylor & Father Ryan would get after them or did they just not want to work as hard as Simpson and Shone were going to push them? Yes, CS is probably the proper phrase!!!!!!!!!!!!