Father Ryan vs. Brentwood Academy

In Hoc Signo Vinces

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, what were the team and individual results? Did Marchetie wrestle against Cash? How did the match between the 215's turn out? I watched them on the internet in the Father Ryan Invitational and they had a good match.

I don't know the individual scores but I do know that BA won two matches. Marchetti bumped to Cash but Cash bumped too.

It was a classic example of wrestlers verses athletes, and the wrestlers won big time!

FRHS Wrestlers - 51

BA Athletes - 12

BA only won two matches (a pin at 152 and a pin at 125).

Although BA has done a much better job of getting athletes into the wrestling program during the past few years, the team as a whole lacks technical competence.

As a result, it was a pretty boring match because the FR wrestlers could not really execute their moves due to BA athletes constantly backing up in the neutral position and basing out in the bottom position. (Rarely was a BA athlete able to ride or control a FR wrestler from the top position.)

To make matters worse, there were no good match ups because Cash bumped up to 152 to get away from Marchetti who had bumped up to 145 and Tuani forfeited to Clanton at 215 (presumably to protect his win over Clanton at the Ryan Invitational in order to get a higher seed at the State Tournament).

I do not know what is next for BA, but at least we can see some good wrestling at the FR v. MBA match in a couple of weeks!

It was a classic example of wrestlers verses athletes, and the wrestlers won big time!

FRHS Wrestlers - 51

BA Athletes - 12

Although BA has done a much better job of getting athletes into the wrestling program during the past few years, the team as a whole lacks technical competence.

As a result, it was a pretty boring match because the FR wrestlers could not really execute their moves due to BA athletes constantly backing up in the neutral position and basing out in the bottom position. (Rarely was a BA athlete able to ride or control a FR wrestler from the top position.)

To make matters worse, there were no good match ups because Cash bumped up to 152 to get away from Marchetti who had bumped up to 145 and Tuani forfeited to Clanton at 215 (presumably to protect his win over Clanton at the Ryan Invitational in order to get a higher seed at the State Tournament).

I do not know what is next for BA, but at least we can see some good wrestling at the FR v. MBA match in a couple of weeks!

Typical comment from a FRHS parent and/or fan. LOL. I suppose the world will have to wait two weeks to truly see good wrestling with true wrestlers, not athletes.

FRHS Wrestlers - 51

BA Athletes - 12

pinu46,

You seem to have some knowledge about the match so I would like to ask a few questions. What was the exact weight of Cash at weighin? Did he make 145 and bump to avoid Marchettie or did he not make 145? Did Tuani weigh in at 215 and forfiet so that he didn't have to wrestle Clanton?

FRHS Wrestlers - 51

BA Athletes - 12

I will agree 100% that the Ryan wrestlers were far superior technically. It is noteworthy that BA sent 4 freshmen and an 8th grader to face an extremely strong High School team. A head on assault would have been brave, but unwise in my opinion. I could tell that the Ryan wrestlers were frustrated with the tactics that you described. I don't think they were able to pin any of the youngsters. In fact, I think that BA and Ryan surrendered the exact same number of pins. It is a darn shame that they would not cooperate and let the Ryan wrestlers execute their moves. BA did not charge admission, so you did not get cheated at least.

BA was missing their 135, 140, 160 & 171 (Gibbs, Riley, Proctor & Lundborg). Every remaining starter from 130-160 was bumped up one weight class. It was not just Cash. You may be correct, but the bumping up started at 130, so it seemed like Cash was planning to wrestle 152 the whole way. You may be right. I am just presenting other facts that existed.

I hope the MBA wrestlers cooperate and allow the Ryan wrestlers to execute their moves for you.

Clearly the Ryan wrestlers were technically better. I think coach Cash has done a good job at BA and he is developing some wrestlers but it will continue to take some time. As has been mentioned, this is a very young team.

I thought wrestlers on both sides conducted themselves well on the mats -- if Ryan's wrestlers were getting frustrated at BA's tactics, they didn't show it in their conduct. I was disapointed (not particularly surprized) in the Ryan fans though. Your team is dominating a younger, less talented team and there was more whining/bashing of the ref than I've heard at a match this year. One would hope that the parents would learn to conduct themselves with the same class as their wrestlers.

Overall an impressive showing by Ryan and a good learning experience for BA

Clearly the Ryan wrestlers were technically better. I think coach Cash has done a good job at BA and he is developing some wrestlers but it will continue to take some time. As has been mentioned, this is a very young team.

I thought wrestlers on both sides conducted themselves well on the mats -- if Ryan's wrestlers were getting frustrated at BA's tactics, they didn't show it in their conduct. I was disapointed (not particularly surprized) in the Ryan fans though. Your team is dominating a younger, less talented team and there was more whining/bashing of the ref than I've heard at a match this year. One would hope that the parents would learn to conduct themselves with the same class as their wrestlers.

Overall an impressive showing by Ryan and a good learning experience for BA

OK, in retrospect most of the Ryan parents were great -- it was just a few that acted like fools. I'm sure all schools have them . . .