What's The Problem

cbg

The problem is you may be going after the wrong kids. Blackman just won their region with only 1 varsity football player on their roster. There are kids that can't shoot a basketball ,throw or hit a baseball,or catch a football that have heart and determination that can be outstanding wrestlers.Wrestlers come in all sizes thats the beauty of it.Small kids that couldn't play any other sport can be State Champions in wrestling.Get the kids early it's important to have a feeder and not just at the middle school level start youth wrestling in elementary.Wrestling can be a great sport for inner city kids that can't afford to play travel baseball or aau basketball.Not only would an inner city elementary school league be great for the kids it would greatly improve the overall quality of wrestling in Tenn. Kids get so much out of wrestling .I'll tell you the story of a kid I know very well that was changed because someone gave him a chance and didn't cut him like other sports and changed his life.This boy has a learning disability and was made fun of and teased at school so badly he would come home crying.He joined the wrestling team with the encouragement of a teacher.His first year the only move he knew was how to fall on his back and look up at the lights.He never won a match that year but enjoyed being on a team and not being cut so much that he came back the next year.Being a great kid with a huge heart he improved his second year.Wrestling at an in school match in front of classmates he won a JV match and the respect of those same kids who a year earlier teased him till he cryed.As you can imagine that improvement in confidence brought improvement in the classroom.His last year in middle school with the help of great coachs he made the varsity and performed well at the state tournament.His first year in high school he not only made the Varsity but was named a team Leutenent (Capt. in training). So many other kids out there need wrestling just like he did .If you are going to look for kids like this look for the kids being cut by the other sports.Kids that just need a chance and a place to go.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hixson has a very rich and proud wrestling program, period. Yes, we have slumped a little in the last few years, but we are pointing back in the right direction. Garrick Hall is evolving as a very good head man. You can see the maturation on practically a daily basis as of late. Remember, he is a young head coach and he is adapting nicely with his on-the-job training. It is very obvious that he really loves Hixson and he is very passionate about his alma mater. Because of his genuine love for his school, he has the respect of his wrestlers, and it shows. It appears he is working well with his mentor, Roger Vandergriff, who is a big help. Coach Vandergriff, likewise, shows a great amount of respect for Coach Hall.

We are embattled in a struggle with Notre Dame and East Ridge for the chance to go to Clarksville. I feel that we will prevail, but if it does not happen this year, it will only get better as each year progresses. I am certain. A slow climb back to the top of consideration is well in progress. I'm sure that my other team, the Lions, and also the Owls and Trojans will be feeling the heat of the Wildcats come region traditional. Look for Hixson to throw some monkey wrenches into their plans for sending all of their guys that are supposed to go to the state. Go Cats!!!

As I read this, apparently many of you are oblivious to the trials of life. You can have the most passionate coach in the world, but in the inner-city, as earlier stated, wrestling is a thankless sport. Kind of like the job of teaching. Most kids in the inner-city would rather do other things than work out and dedicate themselves to wrestling. Someone posted that Blackman won a region title with one football player. Look at the community that Blackman is located. Plenty of money and parental support. I wish some of you would understand, things are not the same, and everyone is not on an equal playing field. Students from low-income families usually don't have the option of playing sports, unless they feel it will make them money in the future, sports like football and basketball. That is why they will listen to the football coach to start lifting weights in January, when the season doesn't start until August. Or they decide that it is better to run the streets with their buddies. In Metro, we can not have those in school matches, which would be a great way to promote the sport, so we have to go about our business by other means.

Hixson has a very rich and proud wrestling program, period. Yes, we have slumped a little in the last few years, but we are pointing back in the right direction. Garrick Hall is evolving as a very good head man. You can see the maturation on practically a daily basis as of late. Remember, he is a young head coach and he is adapting nicely with his on-the-job training. It is very obvious that he really loves Hixson and he is very passionate about his alma mater. Because of his genuine love for his school, he has the respect of his wrestlers, and it shows. It appears he is working well with his mentor, Roger Vandergriff, who is a big help. Coach Vandergriff, likewise, shows a great amount of respect for Coach Hall.

We are embattled in a struggle with Notre Dame and East Ridge for the chance to go to Clarksville. I feel that we will prevail, but if it does not happen this year, it will only get better as each year progresses. I am certain. A slow climb back to the top of consideration is well in progress. I'm sure that my other team, the Lions, and also the Owls and Trojans will be feeling the heat of the Wildcats come region traditional. Look for Hixson to throw some monkey wrenches into their plans for sending all of their guys that are supposed to go to the state. Go Cats!!!

Temprelief; Thanks for the post on Hixson. Could you join in and post some of this information about Hixson over on the topic " Notre Dame on a roll". We have a discussion going on with BCB about A-AA state duals and who will be the favorite there. Hixson is on the board as one and, since we haven't heard much about them over here across the mountains in the middle of the state, I asked for someone to give us some info on Hixson so far this season-----in particular how they might stack up against the 2005 bunch that went to state duals. That was a very athletic bunch that as I recall led the Chattanooga area in a number of statistical categories.

I think the Florida sunshine might have fried your brain. Hixson is back. If you don't believe the word of the most intellectual man on this board, then call the Big Owl over at Ooltewah.

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I'll tell you one on Feb 3rd

So the Florida sunshine is my excuse, what is yours?

As I read this, apparently many of you are oblivious to the trials of life. You can have the most passionate coach in the world, but in the inner-city, as earlier stated, wrestling is a thankless sport. Kind of like the job of teaching. Most kids in the inner-city would rather do other things than work out and dedicate themselves to wrestling. Someone posted that Blackman won a region title with one football player. Look at the community that Blackman is located. Plenty of money and parental support. I wish some of you would understand, things are not the same, and everyone is not on an equal playing field. Students from low-income families usually don't have the option of playing sports, unless they feel it will make them money in the future, sports like football and basketball. That is why they will listen to the football coach to start lifting weights in January, when the season doesn't start until August. Or they decide that it is better to run the streets with their buddies. In Metro, we can not have those in school matches, which would be a great way to promote the sport, so we have to go about our business by other means.

Very well put... Now what is the solution? Is there anyone out there who has gone into an inner-city school system or rec program and started a program from scratch? As a reader of many posts, and a replier to few, this seems to have been one of the more useful strings. For this I thank Coach T's efforts to create a forum to promote this great sport. Anyone, please offer suggestions... I would be more than willing to help that Shelby Count youth coach establish a solid program. Lord knows, Memphis could surely benefit from it. And if done properly, the rest of the state and southern mid-west region. Think of what it would be like to travel to Memphis for a mid-south duals, or invitational tournament; competition from Illinois, Missouri, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma...

Suggest away!

Yes, I can speak from first-hand experience. I was at an inner-city school and started the program. It is an unbelievable uphill climb. Passion isn't the problem, because Lord knows, I have plenty of it. But like it was stated earlier, football and basketball will potentially make you money in the future. Wrestling on the other hand, is a lot of hard work and dedication. It is harder to pay your dues and very easy to break that ego. Football and basketball are a piece of cake compared to wrestling. I wish I had a nickel for everytime a big football stud came out for the team, only to lose them in a less than a week because some little runt is kicking their butt. So when the majority of the school population knows the sport is hard, they will find the excuses to stay away.

Chattnooga Central, what a decline in such a once proud school. A lot of issues has caused this program to decline. Rezoning a few years back hurt the school. The majority fo the athletes starting attending Ooltewah. They have one of the best youth programs around and have had for quite some time. The kids go through there and then go to Hunter middle and then Ooltewah or a private school. Their facilities are terrible and there is no emphasis or passion in their program.

I still just seem to hear excuses.There are kids that want to be a part of teams that get cut at an early age that could find a place in wrestling.Look to the police depts. at some of the inner city schools for help they have PAL football teams and I believe some places have even had Boxing as a Police Athletics League sport.Possably after school programs like YMCA could help.Used shoes are cheap a mat is really all thats needed to get a program started.Most wrestling teams don't even get gym time they role the mats out in their cafeterias. For success and a sense of accomplishment start out just going to beginner tournys or jv tournys.If you develope about five solid wrestlers per year by high school your team would be outstanding.Stop the excuses you only give the kids reasons to have them.

I still just seem to hear excuses.There are kids that want to be a part of teams that get cut at an early age that could find a place in wrestling.Look to the police depts. at some of the inner city schools for help they have PAL football teams and I believe some places have even had Boxing as a Police Athletics League sport.Possably after school programs like YMCA could help.Used shoes are cheap a mat is really all thats needed to get a program started.Most wrestling teams don't even get gym time they role the mats out in their cafeterias. For success and a sense of accomplishment start out just going to beginner tournys or jv tournys.If you develope about five solid wrestlers per year by high school your team would be outstanding.Stop the excuses you only give the kids reasons to have them.

Excuses, now I'm laughing! Don't be calling out Bray! He has traveled down the inner city road and had success. There have been some successful programs in Memphis City Schools, but from what I've seen, it is difficult for these coaches to do it all on their own. It takes not only a good head coach, but also a supportive administration, financial backing, a good group of parents, and a group of coaches willing to do it for free.

Ronnie, Tell us about the differences coaching at Ridgeway vs. Houston.

Shootfirst, It sounds like your heart is in the right place so get it going in inner city Memphis and I will be right by your side.