all time great w. tn players

volfan007

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who were some of the greatest players in w. tn excluding the memphis area? bobby parks from middleton? trey pearson from s. fulton? popeye jones from dresden? cannon whitby from obion central? who do you think? who are some players who were truly great players?

Wasnt mark griffin and stanley caldwell from there? popey jones about beat some no. 1 team at thompson bowling in tourney one year. cannon whitby?? is he the one that holds stat tourney record for points in a game or total in tourney? what about sylvester gray? cant forget delk that played at kentucky.

Wasnt mark griffin and stanley caldwell from there? popey jones about beat some no. 1 team at thompson bowling in tourney one year. cannon whitby?? is he the one that holds stat tourney record for points in a game or total in tourney? what about sylvester gray? cant forget delk that played at kentucky.

Both Griffin (mid 1980s) and Caldwell played at Union City. I am pretty sure that Caldwell was Mr. Basketball in 1991.

Sylvester Gray is who I was going to mention. Had the pleasure of being abused by him in a couple of summer leagues in high school. We arrived at Memphis State at the same time and I always loved watching him play, trust me, much more pleasureable to watch him than play against him. Man amongst boys. I guess he would fall under Memphis area though.

Also got to watch Cannon Whitby quite a few times, always wished it had worked out for him with the razorbacks. He was in his range as soon as he crossed half court. He would have killed scoring records had we had the 3-point line.

Life has a way of sometimes making us ask why? But for my money Kenny Walker at McNairy Central might have been one kid from this west TN area that could have been one of the all time greats. He was killed in a car accident shortly before his senior season, but man could he do things on the court. Neal Walker was another west tn great. Harvey Marshall from Jackson SS, went to play at Nebraska. No one could score as quickly as Corrie Johnson, just a few names of interest.

Life has a way of sometimes making us ask why? But for my money Kenny Walker at McNairy Central might have been one kid from this west TN area that could have been one of the all time greats. He was killed in a car accident shortly before his senior season, but man could he do things on the court. Neal Walker was another west tn great. Harvey Marshall from Jackson SS, went to play at Nebraska. No one could score as quickly as Corrie Johnson, just a few names of interest.

I agree with Kenny Walker I played against him while at Bolivar dude was sick his brother Mike was coldblooded also

Tony Delk from Haywood was the best...hands down...saw him score 39 in one half on a very good Denmark West team that went to state that year.... Robin Cude from Obion was a great scorer...I saw him give it to Oak Hill back in the day...Jerry Curry from JCM was outstanding. Great shooter and scorer who killed junior college and went on to play at Iowa State...Corrie Johnson was great too...he wood jump ball and shoot the three off the tip off...