all time great w. tn players

volfan007

stanley caldwell uc (ut) mark griffith uc (ut) cannot whitby obion central ( arkansas) corrie ohnson Hardin cty (etsu) tony delk haywood cny (ky) carlos clark fayette ware (ole miss) justin flat hardin cty (nc state) hicks jackson ns ( ole miss) kirk goreing jackson ns ( lsu) kelvin allen bolivar (memphis st) cameron crisp bolivar ( tennessee tech) brian lake bolivar ( mtsu) willie kemp bolivar (memphis st) wayne chism jackson ss and bolivar ( ut)ashley champion bolivar (ut chatanoga) bobby parks middleton ( memphis) bailey howell midelton ( ole miss) steve hammer middleton (ut) nocheis doaks trenton ( ut chatanoga) reginald delk jackson ns ( miss st and louisville) richard delk ( miss st and troy st) marquis weddle uc (ut martin) brandon springer lake cty ( ut martin) juwan long jackson liberty ( murray st) josh sain jackson liberty ( mtsu) devon jones jackson liberty ( north florida) jerry curry jackson jcm ( iowa st) brian fisk dyer cty ( david lipscomb) trey pearson south fulton ( ole miss) montrell crittedon dyer cty ( mtsu ) ryan wiley bolivar ( david lipscomb ) kyle becton bolivar ( mtsu ) jason black martin westview ( samford ) frank holmes fayette ware ( uab ) xavier hansbro west carrol ( ole miss ) donell maybon covington ( tennessee tech) brandon evans jackson liberty ( east carolina ) mack gardner lexington ( ut martin ) jarvis varnado haywood cty (miss st) desmond yates fayette ware ( mtsu ) justin burdine hardin ct (murray st) mann dyersburg (murray st) I feel this list is over 95% accurate I may have mispelled some names ( sorry about that) and I know I have left sat least a handfull of names of and this dosen't include kids that went to NAIA there are at least just as many that went NAIA I would have to put some thought into listing those kids but nonethe less what this tells me is that rural west tn is a hotbed for mid major talent and players with quite a few going high major there has been a ton of talent to come out of our area if I have missed any feel free to add to this list and ost of these kids have come from the last 10 years which makes this list even more impressive if you really want to go way back this list will really expand hope this is what you were looking for

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stanley caldwell uc (ut) mark griffith uc (ut) cannot whitby obion central ( arkansas) corrie ohnson Hardin cty (etsu) tony delk haywood cny (ky) carlos clark fayette ware (ole miss) justin flat hardin cty (nc state) hicks jackson ns ( ole miss) kirk goreing jackson ns ( lsu) kelvin allen bolivar (memphis st) cameron crisp bolivar ( tennessee tech) brian lake bolivar ( mtsu) willie kemp bolivar (memphis st) wayne chism jackson ss and bolivar ( ut)ashley champion bolivar (ut chatanoga) bobby parks middleton ( memphis) bailey howell midelton ( ole miss) steve hammer middleton (ut) nocheis doaks trenton ( ut chatanoga) reginald delk jackson ns ( miss st and louisville) richard delk ( miss st and troy st) marquis weddle uc (ut martin) brandon springer lake cty ( ut martin) juwan long jackson liberty ( murray st) josh sain jackson liberty ( mtsu) devon jones jackson liberty ( north florida) jerry curry jackson jcm ( iowa st) brian fisk dyer cty ( david lipscomb) trey pearson south fulton ( ole miss) montrell crittedon dyer cty ( mtsu ) ryan wiley bolivar ( david lipscomb ) kyle becton bolivar ( mtsu ) jason black martin westview ( samford ) frank holmes fayette ware ( uab ) xavier hansbro west carrol ( ole miss ) donell maybon covington ( tennessee tech) brandon evans jackson liberty ( east carolina ) mack gardner lexington ( ut martin ) jarvis varnado haywood cty (miss st) desmond yates fayette ware ( mtsu ) justin burdine hardin ct (murray st) mann dyersburg (murray st) I feel this list is over 95% accurate I may have mispelled some names ( sorry about that) and I know I have left sat least a handfull of names of and this dosen't include kids that went to NAIA there are at least just as many that went NAIA I would have to put some thought into listing those kids but nonethe less what this tells me is that rural west tn is a hotbed for mid major talent and players with quite a few going high major there has been a ton of talent to come out of our area if I have missed any feel free to add to this list and ost of these kids have come from the last 10 years which makes this list even more impressive if you really want to go way back this list will really expand hope this is what you were looking for

I forgot popeye jone from dresdon (Murray st)

Let me give you a name, not many people will mention. But it is a name my father talked about a lot as he played against him in high school in the 50's....Bailey Howell from Middleton. Most famous for his years as a Boston Celtic.

Maybe some people might could add some info about his high school career. I think he scored almost 18,000 points in the NBA, I bet he was pretty good in high school.

I thought Slyester Gray played at Bolton, that is Shelby County. But he was an awesome player.

the guy from obion central that they referred to as "flip" could be hayes flippen. he had some phenomenal stats.

also, a guy that yall are leaving out is jason harrel from obion central. he was 6'7" and could shoot threes. he played at tennessee tech. and, he is the big brother of justin harrel of ut vols football and is now in the nfl.

also, a guy that some of yall may not know about...from the late 70's and early 80's from bolivar....was elvis mitchell. the fella could shoot the basketball. i have seen him shoot the lights out many a night. the substate game against a team out of memphis...carver i think...elvis hit just about everything he shot. memphis carver also had a superstar player on their team, who went on to play for vandy. i cant recall his name at the moment. but, elvis would hit a shot, then that guy would hit a shot. i believe we went to three overtimes, and that fella from carver hit a shot from the corner as the buzzer went off to win the game. incredible.

oh yeah, bolivar also had jose crisp on that team with elvis. jose was 6'8" and muscular. he was a rebounding machine. he went on to play for jackson st. c.c. and then etsu. and, he led the nation i rebounding at etsu.

Those guys were all good. No doubt we have had our share of good players in this half of the state. When I played at DC from 94-98 their was at least 1 guy maybe two that went on to play Juco or NAIA. The two Bright boys from Westview were good and so were the Neilson brothers. Eric Batchelor was tough too. Jason (OC) and Justin (WestV) Harrell were tough. Justin could have played college somewhere. Tony Lambert (FHU) Steve Poindexter(Union) Quincy Pirtle (Lambuth) Bryan Fisk (Lipscomb) Montrell Crittendon (now at Auburn Montgomery via Volunteer State) all from DC and there were more like John Morris, Cyrus Johnson, Perry Powell that could have played somewhere. Matt Harris and Robin Cude from OC. Gaylon Moore from GC. Heck, this is just from the old 13AA district. Many great players and there should be many more.

Let me give you a name, not many people will mention. But it is a name my father talked about a lot as he played against him in high school in the 50's....Bailey Howell from Middleton. Most famous for his years as a Boston Celtic.

Maybe some people might could add some info about his high school career. I think he scored almost 18,000 points in the NBA, I bet he was pretty good in high school.

I thought Slyester Gray played at Bolton, that is Shelby County. But he was an awesome player.

Yep, Gray was Bolton (now Arlington), didn't think about it being Shelby County till after I posted it.

Bailey Howel played for Miss. St and then went own to be an NBA Allstar for the Celtics along with winning mutiple titles on the Bill Russel teams Kyle Bectom never played college ball and Wiley never suited up for Lipscomb

Bailey Howell was a man among boys in his h.s. years scoring 30-60 pts a game. he gave SEC n Memphis all they could handle all Alone playing for Mississippi State. he was a Pure basketball player that comes along once in a lifetime. He was one of my favorites. Gentleman in the true sense, not llike most bb players that come along now with the rap style - hip-la! .. OHH for the Good Ole Days to return to all sports any level.