all time great w. tn players

volfan007

I'll give you a lineup...

G - Willie Kemp-Bolivar Central (Best point guard at the high school level I've ever seen...Doing well now playing for the soon to be ranked #1 Memphis Tigers)

G - Tony Delk-Haywood County (Many would show up at the gym just to watch this guy light it up! Went to Kentucky and played with several teams in the NBA...)

G - Cannon Whitby-Obion County (If there was a 3-point line when he played, they'd still be adding up his points..)

F - Popeye Jones-Dresden (Played at Murray St. and went on to play in the NBA...He was a beast, plain and simple)

C/F - Doug Atkins-Humboldt (Played on the 1948 undefeated state championship team...Standing at an athletic 6'9, he would be impossible to handle even nowadays...Went to UT on a scholarship but ended up playing football...Suited him well as he's now a Hall of Famer in the NFL)

Two alternates:

G - Marquis Weddle-Union City (Only thing that's keeping this guy from playing big time Div.1 is height...In high school though, he could hang 40 pretty much any night if he felt necessary...Could stroke it with the best of em)

F - Bailey Howell-Middleton (Went to Ole Miss on a scholarship and played with the Celtics back in the 60's during their reign of dominance)

If you think you can put together a better team, have at it!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G - Willie Kemp-Bolivar Central (Best point guard at the high school level I've ever seen...Doing well now playing for the soon to be ranked #1 Memphis Tigers)

G - Tony Delk-Haywood County (Many would show up at the gym just to watch this guy light it up! Went to Kentucky and played with several teams in the NBA...)

G - Cannon Whitby-Obion County (If there was a 3-point line when he played, they'd still be adding up his points..)

F - Popeye Jones-Dresden (Played at Murray St. and went on to play in the NBA...He was a beast, plain and simple)

C/F - Doug Atkins-Humboldt (Played on the 1948 undefeated state championship team...Standing at an athletic 6'9, he would be impossible to handle even nowadays...Went to UT on a scholarship but ended up playing football...Suited him well as he's now a Hall of Famer in the NFL)

Two alternates:

G - Marquis Weddle-Union City (Only thing that's keeping this guy from playing big time Div.1 is height...In high school though, he could hang 40 pretty much any night if he felt necessary...Could stroke it with the best of em)

F - Bailey Howell-Middleton (Went to Ole Miss on a scholarship and played with the Celtics back in the 60's during their reign of dominance)

the only one i would try to get in there would be Anfernee Hardaway as far as High School btn. him and Delk and Whitby they could score 100 pts. a piece WOW

Two alternates:

Good idea, I'll try one.

G Tony Delk, Haywood..needs no explanation. And only because I can't include Penny Hardaway. If I can't pick Tony, I'll go with a recent one. Anthony Sampson for Liberty. If he was taller he would have been a 4* recruit.

G. Corie Johnson, Hardin Co. If someone can shoot the ball better than Corie could in high school, I would like to see it. He set national records.

F Larry Fry, Lexington. An All American. Averaged over 30 points a game, WITHOUT A 3 POINT LINE.

F Kirk Hastings, Perry Co. If he was good enough for Bob Knight to fly down to Perry Co., then he is good enough for me.

C You had the right pick. Doug Atkins is a legend in West Tennessee. People still talk about how he was the best player they've ever saw.

Two alternates:

I would have to start Howell. He played at Mississippi St, not Ole Miss. But he scored almost 18,000 pts in the NBA, no other player from West TN has done that, he must have been pretty awesome in high school. Just most on here don't know him.

Good idea, I'll try one.

G Tony Delk, Haywood..needs no explanation. And only because I can't include Penny Hardaway. If I can't pick Tony, I'll go with a recent one. Anthony Sampson for Liberty. If he was taller he would have been a 4* recruit.

G. Corie Johnson, Hardin Co. If someone can shoot the ball better than Corie could in high school, I would like to see it. He set national records.

F Larry Fry, Lexington. An All American. Averaged over 30 points a game, WITHOUT A 3 POINT LINE.

F Kirk Hastings, Perry Co. If he was good enough for Bob Knight to fly down to Perry Co., then he is good enough for me.

C You had the right pick. Doug Atkins is a legend in West Tennessee. People still talk about how he was the best player they've ever saw.

Oh, what the heck? I'll give it a shot.

G Tony Delk

G Bobby Parks

F Carlos Clark

F Ashley Champion

C Jose Crisp

I wish I would've gotten to see all these players play, lol. Most of these guys are before my time like Penny Hardaway, Tony Delk, Cannon Whitby, Popeye Jones(BTW, I work with his sister, pretty interesting), Robin Cude etc. I've heard several stories from people that went and saw them and even played against one or two of 'em.

I think I've heard the story on Cude ,when he lit up Oak Hill @ Union University, about 20 times now! I've heard several stories about Cannon and Tony as well.

Penny was a legend but as far as outside of Memphis in West TN...Delk was the best ive seen and actually played against in pick up games. He had a nice stroke...hops...killa instinct and the best home court advantage i have ever seen...

MY Line up would be

G Delk hands down

G Junior Ried from Humboldt...old school

F Jerry Curry from JCM...flat out score

F Marcus Hicks from Jackson Northside...27 15 an 8...best high school dunker ive seen in West TN

C Howell or Ed Too Tall Jones

Penny was a legend but as far as outside of Memphis in West TN...Delk was the best ive seen and actually played against in pick up games. He had a nice stroke...hops...killa instinct and the best home court advantage i have ever seen...

MY Line up would be

G Delk hands down

G Junior Ried from Humboldt...old school

F Jerry Curry from JCM...flat out score

F Marcus Hicks from Jackson Northside...27 15 an 8...best high school dunker ive seen in West TN

C Howell or Ed Too Tall Jones

Junior Reid played center at 6'0 tall in his day...His junior year, the year they won state in 76' (I believe), he didn't lose a tip all year...Could jump out of the gym but there was another guy on that team better than him...I can't remember his name...Terry something?? I think he went on to play at Lambuth

G Trey Pearson

G Ronald Ward

G Cannon Whitby

F Marcus Williams

F Stanley Caldwell

G Jerry Slayton

G Rodney Bonds

F James Bass

F Marshall Brown

C Mark Griffin

All Obion Co 1st and 2nd teams.

A little heavy on the UC players aren't ya? Might want to consider Robin Cude,Denver Whitby, & Hayes Flippen at least from OC & there are a number of good players from SF besides Trey as well. Tim Britt would be one for sure.

What about the All-Hardeman County team, or you could just pick Bolivar or Middleton. I am not from Hardeman Co, so I might miss a few.

Middleton

C - Stevie Hamer

F - Bailey Howell

F - Bobby Parks

Not sure their guards, but they have had some good ones.

Bolivar

Wayne Chism, Willie Kemp, Kelvin Allen, Crisp Brothers, and sure their are others too.

Hardeman County has produced some great players. As has Obion County.