MISS BASKETBALL

TIDEFAN

IN AAA my vote is Jasmine Hassell, Wilson Central, as a junior she is probably the best post player in the state, and maybe one of the best overall. if not the best.

i definitely have to say ferris is a better post player than hassell. she's got the size and shes got a bit of talent but its to easy to shut her down if you've got the girls to do it. she's never performed like everyone says she should against shelbyville b/c they have a solid defender in hannah dawson. she usually makes quick work of her without the double team. hassell should not be in contention for miss bball

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i definitely have to say ferris is a better post player than hassell. she's got the size and shes got a bit of talent but its to easy to shut her down if you've got the girls to do it. she's never performed like everyone says she should against shelbyville b/c they have a solid defender in hannah dawson. she usually makes quick work of her without the double team. hassell should not be in contention for miss bball

She's easier to shut down due mostly in part to her "supporting cast" and couple that with the fact that the coach is a joke! If she's not extremely careful her talent will deteriorate even more. Imagine how good she would be had she stayed at Jackson Co. Imagine how good JC would be with her helping one of the best teams in the state as it is! Wow we would be talking USA Today's #1 team in the nation with that line-up!!

rofl

What? Ferris is in AA, her team is 3-6 in the District. Hassell's team is AAA top 10, just fell from number 1. You should be fair. Miss Basketball should dominate her opponents. She is supposed to be the Best basketball player in her district, region and finally state. I have seen ferris play and she is a very good postplayer.. but you cant compare her to an all around basketball player like Hassell. Wilson Central plays in the toughest district in the state and has only one loss to a district opponent, they have a good team surrounding her, but they would have a 3-6 record in the district without Hassell. I was impressed with the sophmore post(4)/guard at Hillsboro but she is young. Ferris must be so good that her team wins, its easy to get good numbers on a bad team..someone has to score. Smith county will be home after the region tournament..Wilson Central will be playing in March. I dont even understand how you can compare the two.

A great example of a player being overlooked for AA Miss Basketball is Lipscomb College signee, Leah Mcallister from Ezell Harding.This team with her injured most all of last season lost their first 10/12 games. Then lost to AA Runner Up Marshall County by 8 in the region. McAllister just recently became Ezell Hardings all time scorer. This is not an easy feat at a school with a great womens basketball history. In addition to leading her team to a currently 9-1 record in 9aa, the only loss occuring when she was knocked out late in the third period. She is one of the top scorers in the State. And to make a point against Ferris...McAllister scored 23 points against current AAA #1 and undefeated Hillsboro in a one point loss at Overton. This is how Miss Basketball players lead their team against better opponents in upper divisions. I think that a player who is in a similar situation is Ellen Ross at Lipscomb, She is a star player who is lacking the supporting cast to win big games. The Unger girl over at Station Camp has been lighting it up all year and some have them picked in the top 10 in the midstate.

I have not seen enough A ball to make a comment. But if your team doesn't advance you should not be a Miss Basketball winner. Because if you were that good....you wouldn't be at home.

The two most dominant / best AAA players in the state are juniors:

Jasmine Hassell and Jasmine James with Hassell being the best post and James being the best guard / perimeter player.

Hassell has continued to lead Wilson Central to state dominance from her freshmen year to junior year.

James has lead Bartlett from her freshman year to her current junior year with two back to back 30 game seasons of wins, Dist, Regional championships and sub-state appearances. JJ is currently averaging 26ppg, 7 rebs, 5 assits, 4 steals and will have Bartlett in the hunt for a Murfreesboro visit in March.

Both players are considered to be in the top echelon at their positions nationally.

I refuse to ever dog a player (child) on this website. BUT are you people smoking crack? I have watched both Ferris and Hassell for several years and it ain??™t even close. Hassell has consistently lead a dominant team over the past three years and is easily the most seasoned post in the state. NOW: Ferris does have a lot of upside and at 6??™8??? she??™s going to be a monster for some college program and she is as humble and kind as she is talented ??“ DEFINETELY a rising star /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> . However, it is just too early to make a comparison of her versus Hassell. Why debate these two anyway when they are in different classifications? (AA and AAA)

As for Jasmine James: Here is a player that gets doubled and has seen junk defenses (box-1 etc.) and has been the focus of every opponent EVERY single game since her freshman year and she still does what she does. AND YES you are right: Bartlett hasn??™t made it to the boro in the last 2 years but was eliminated both years by Memphis Northside by 5 or 6 points each year (who each year has been a legitimate state title contender). You could make the argument that these were two of the top teams in the state but unfortunately only one of them would get to make the trip to the boro due to the elimination game of sub-states. (heck: you throw Memphis East and Millington in the mix and West Tn is as strong as any part of the state)

* At any rate: I??™ve said it once and now twice. Jasmine or Jasmine for AAA.

* I also like Kayla Christopher of Oliver Springs for singe A ??“ she can fill it up.

* Crystal Riley of Memphis Hillcrest ??“ but not much of a supporting cast or the rising star Kaci Ferris of Smith Co.

* DII - Avant or Glory ??“ say no more! (outside chance of Caitlin House ??“ Briarcrest)

A ??“ Kayla Christopher-Oliver Springs

AA ??“ Crystal Riley ??“ Hillcrest or Kacyi Ferris ??“ Smith Co.

AAA ??“Jasmine James-Bartlett or Jasmine Hassell-Wilson Central

DII ??“ Lauren Avant-Lausanne or Glory Johnson-Knox Webb

rofl

What? Ferris is in AA, her team is 3-6 in the District. Hassell's team is AAA top 10, just fell from number 1. You should be fair. Miss Basketball should dominate her opponents. She is supposed to be the Best basketball player in her district, region and finally state. I have seen ferris play and she is a very good postplayer.. but you cant compare her to an all around basketball player like Hassell. Wilson Central plays in the toughest district in the state and has only one loss to a district opponent, they have a good team surrounding her, but they would have a 3-6 record in the district without Hassell. I was impressed with the sophmore post(4)/guard at Hillsboro but she is young. Ferris must be so good that her team wins, its easy to get good numbers on a bad team..someone has to score. Smith county will be home after the region tournament..Wilson Central will be playing in March. I dont even understand how you can compare the two.

A great example of a player being overlooked for AA Miss Basketball is Lipscomb College signee, Leah Mcallister from Ezell Harding.This team with her injured most all of last season lost their first 10/12 games. Then lost to AA Runner Up Marshall County by 8 in the region. McAllister just recently became Ezell Hardings all time scorer. This is not an easy feat at a school with a great womens basketball history. In addition to leading her team to a currently 9-1 record in 9aa, the only loss occuring when she was knocked out late in the third period. She is one of the top scorers in the State. And to make a point against Ferris...McAllister scored 23 points against current AAA #1 and undefeated Hillsboro in a one point loss at Overton. This is how Miss Basketball players lead their team against better opponents in upper divisions. I think that a player who is in a similar situation is Ellen Ross at Lipscomb, She is a star player who is lacking the supporting cast to win big games. The Unger girl over at Station Camp has been lighting it up all year and some have them picked in the top 10 in the midstate.

I have not seen enough A ball to make a comment. But if your team doesn't advance you should not be a Miss Basketball winner. Because if you were that good....you wouldn't be at home.

I disagree with the last comment. Perry County had Class A Miss Basketball Kristal Edney and she is tearing it up in college. I feel that Miss Basketball is about a lot of things, not just a winning team, but a great player all around. A person who shows great athletic ability, good sportsmanship and someone who can boost her team and lead her team as far as they can go. Unfortunately you win some and lose some, but I don't feel that one person (Miss Basketball) can determine the entire season for her team!

I disagree with the last comment. Perry County had Class A Miss Basketball Kristal Edney and she is tearing it up in college. I feel that Miss Basketball is about a lot of things, not just a winning team, but a great player all around. A person who shows great athletic ability, good sportsmanship and someone who can boost her team and lead her team as far as they can go. Unfortunately you win some and lose some, but I don't feel that one person (Miss Basketball) can determine the entire season for her team!

the only thing I disagree with here is that one person CAN determine an entire season for a team. They do not always, but they can. They should not be expected to, but they can.

Otherwise, great post!!

I think, from the teams I have seen, the Ferriss kid (partly because she is carrying a team more than the Dyer kid at UHS has to do), Davis and Dyer from Upperman, Dyer and Leonard from JC, and the kid from York that I have NOT seen....Molly E somethingorother...have heard a bunch about her. I think all of those kids make great candidates in their respective divisions.

I have not seen enough to pick the winner, but I can tell you who I would vote for if I had a vote.

Here is my voting order: (note: as I said, I have not seen enough people for this to be all inclusive)

1)Davis

2)Dyer

3)Kid from York

4)Ferriss

no disrespect to anyone left off, or not in the position you think they should be in.

the only thing I disagree with here is that one person CAN determine an entire season for a team. They do not always, but they can. They should not be expected to, but they can.

Otherwise, great post!!

I think, from the teams I have seen, the Ferriss kid (partly because she is carrying a team more than the Dyer kid at UHS has to do), Davis and Dyer from Upperman, Dyer and Leonard from JC, and the kid from York that I have NOT seen....Molly E somethingorother...have heard a bunch about her. I think all of those kids make great candidates in their respective divisions.

I have not seen enough to pick the winner, but I can tell you who I would vote for if I had a vote.

Here is my voting order: (note: as I said, I have not seen enough people for this to be all inclusive)

1)Davis

2)Dyer

3)Kid from York

4)Ferriss

no disrespect to anyone left off, or not in the position you think they should be in.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I would put Misti Maxwell in the mix. Not have Ferriss nominated yet.,next year. Add Erin Helton AAA(cookeville) I would add 2 players from york. Maybe throw in Sells, West from LA.Not nominate Laken this year. She would my candidate for next year.

Of course, Davis has to be candidate /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> that one is a no brainer.The points that she scores... absoutely fantastic.

Courtney Dyer of 7A Jackson Co. Shoots the NBA three, takes it to the hoop in traffic and earned her varsity start as a freshman point because she could bust the press.

Also a McDonald's All American finalist need we say anymore??? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I would put Misti Maxwell in the mix. Not have Ferriss nominated yet.,next year. Add Erin Helton AAA(cookeville) I would add 2 players from york. Maybe throw in Sells, West from LA.Not nominate Laken this year. She would my candidate for next year.

Of course, Davis has to be candidate /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> that one is a no brainer.The points that she scores... absoutely fantastic.

agreed. I forgot about the Helton Kid. and the kids from LA would be a good add.

. BUT are you people smoking crack? I

this is among the many things that I have almost put in this thread. Along with. in no particular order:

Have you ever actually watched a basketball game?

Are you five years old?

Are you smoking the catnip again?

Who died and made you Micheal Jordan?

You might not be so retentive if you would back your head out a notch!

just a sampling of the fun things this thread has brought to mind....

Carry on.