Official Mr. Basketball Ballot in my hands

CoachT

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have from now until February 8th to convince me who the nominees for Mr. Basketball should be. Negative comments are frowned upon in this thread.

Jason Seymore Powell AAA Has carried a very mediocre Powell team this year. Deadly shooter with good size. D I prospect no doubt.

James Gallman Fulton AA Most well rounded player in E Tn. Very good shooter with 3 point range, tremendous off the dribble, rebounds with a vengeance and based on the game I saw him play, the best perimeter defender around. May not be the winner this year but certainly deserves a domination.

Jared Stephens should be a contender imo. He turns a strong Oak Ridge team into a state contender. The only issue would be the fact that he has been out for a few weeks due to an injured hand, but he will be back in time for the post season. He creates plays on offence and can shut down nearly any other guard on defence. (i.e Jordan Damron)

I think Jordan Damron is the best nominee for the east. He has carried his team in many huge games including against highly ranked Bearden dropping 42 and 35. Also against cross town rival William Blount where he scored 34, and against distrit power house Farragut when he scored 31. He has put up the numbers to be worthy of this nomination and proved himself in too many ways. Just ask Mark Blevins if you don't think so...As for middle and west, I'm not familiar enough with those players to say.

AA - Chase Dunn from Livingston Academy 5'8 guard, Averaging 22ppg, 3 assists and 3 steals per game. LA is 20-4, ranked #9 by AP and strength+success #3. Chase has 1500+ career points and has accumulated many awards in his first 2 1/2 seasons. If you've played him or coached against him, you know how hard he is to guard. What a creator on offense! Already has D1 offers.

Justin Blake! Plays on one of the top two teams in the state. Draws the best defender with every team they play. A threat as soon as he crosses half court. Shots the three ball as good as anyone, can go to the hole if he needs to, great free throw shooter, great kid on and off the court. He is what Mr. Basketball is about.

AA

John Jenkins, Station Camp HS

6'4, Junior Guard

Avg. 29.0 pts per game, shooting 52% from 3 point range, 57% overall from the floor, 6 rebounds a game average. Team is 19-4. Verbally committed to Vanderbilt University. Nearing 1700 points for a career.

MJ Brown Union City

Here are my reasons:

1. The leader on the only undefeated team still in the state in any classification (HOF games included)

2. Is currently the reigning Mr. Basketball (won the award as a junior)

3. Made the game winning shot at the buzzer vs. then state ranked #4 Lake County in a hostile environment @ LC.

4. The leader of the team that played and beat larger classification schools in-state such as: Livingston Academy, Mt. Juliet, Sycamore, JSS, Memphis Mitchell, etc??¦

5. He is averaging 22 points, five rebounds, seven assists and four steals per game. Could score way more but playing minutes have been limited due to big leads and unselfishness.

6. Also should note that the reason he is not selfish and doesn??™t try to score more is that Union City has six players that have at least 20 3-pointers, seven different players have led a game in scoring and the team is 12-players deep. They have seven different kids that can score in double-figures on any given night

7. He was MVP Scoring Leader of the Poplar Bluff Shootout Tourney in MO where he averaged 30.7ppg.

8. Teams that UC played and beat at Poplar Bluff were 5A School Harrison Georgia which has a record of 17-4 and is the #5 ranked 5A school in the state behind Wheeler, Norcross, Marietta & Savannah. Also beat Raytown South which is a 5A Missouri school that is currently 12-4. Beat another 5A school in Mills University Studies out of Little Rock which is currently 11-5 and ranked #6 statewide in Arkansas. Also, by the way, TN 3A Liberty Tech was in this tournament as well and placed 4th overall for comparison. For the enrollment guy??™s that are curious, here were the school enrollments that UC competed against at Poplar Bluff: Harrison: 2650 Raytown South: 1500 Poplar Bluff: 1250 Liberty tech: 1050 Mills: 1000 Sikeston 800 Union City: 370 Maplewood: 300

9. Also leader of the team that won the Battle of the State Tourney against larger classification teams such as: Livingston Academy, Mt. Juliet, & Sycamore etc.

I know there are some good candidates, but name another player in Single A that has seen this type of competition and excelled against them to perfection (leader of an undefeated #1 Ranked team)??