Obion Central Football Coach?

littleRebels

Good post, but college doesn't really compare to high school. All those college teams are playing with recruits who were the best players on the field in high school. College coaches can pick those that fit their system best. Even the lower-ranked teams have highly skilled and conditioned athletes. High school coaches, at least the honest ones who dont bend the rules, have to take the players that get off the bus. Motivation does make a good team play better, but in high school, David rarely gets to slay Goliath. In high school, I agree with formercoach81 that talent is the best measuring stick.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Appalachian State over Michigan - No. 5 and pre-season favorite to many Michigan loses to Division 2 App. State in the first game of the season

2.Stanford over USC - Stanford??™s win over USC is the biggest upset ever ??“ USC was favored by 40 points.

3. West Virgina loses to Pitt - in the Bakcyard Brawl, #2 WV heads to Pitt and loses 13-9 in the last game of the season

4. Kentucky over LSU - No. 1 LSU loses to UK in a triple overtime game, 43-37

5. Oregon State over Cal - No. 2 Cal loses with a frosh QB getting sacked on the 10 yard line when all they needed was a field goal to tie

6. Ohio State loses to Illinois - in the 2nd to last game of the season the #1 Buckeyes lose to the unranked Illini at home

7. Syracuse(+37) over Louisville - The second biggest upset also happened this season: Syracuse +37.5 over Louisville.

8. Missouri loses to Oklahoma - again! Oklahoma beats #1 ranked Mizzou in the final game of the season, a game that would've ensured a BCS title game bid

9. Rutgers over USF - #2 South Florida loses to then unranked Rutgers

10.UL Monroe over Alabama

I'd say motivation can overtake talent.

Sure, in special cases it happens. As far as appalacian state is concerned, they have much more speed than Michigan and that was a major difference. Illinois has better talent at the QB position and equal talent at running back. Zook can get talent. None of those other teams that lost practically showed up so it is lack of motivation on one's part plus super motivation on the other. In this case you'd have to bank on the other team being uninterested while your team is super motivated. This happed a handful of times last year so you won't make a living banking on that. Ask any coach how important talent is.

Sure, in special cases it happens. As far as appalacian state is concerned, they have much more speed than Michigan and that was a major difference. Illinois has better talent at the QB position and equal talent at running back. Zook can get talent. None of those other teams that lost practically showed up so it is lack of motivation on one's part plus super motivation on the other. In this case you'd have to bank on the other team being uninterested while your team is super motivated. This happed a handful of times last year so you won't make a living banking on that. Ask any coach how important talent is.

I agree. I should have added to my last post at times overtake talent.

That's the word. Haskins is a pure athlete who can play quarterback or easily be sitting high on the depth chart at wr or rb. If Coach Jackson's Spread is similar to the one Rich Rodriquez's then Haskins will be a great fit, good legs, strong arm has the tools just needs to be polished on reads and such. Other than that there maybe some others coming out from the school attempting to play the position ,and I'm sure Coach Jackson will through a few other players into the mix. Competition breeds improvement.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read with some interest the article about OCCHS' Spring Practice.....A couple of things jumped out at me...One was the the fact that the Rebels will not be going out in full pads very often...Another program in the county(Union City)implemented that practice during Coach Fishel's time at the school...That proved not to be a real successful way to practice...I understand the fact that practicing in full pads three days a week does up the risk of injury but it also takes away the physicallness of a team.....You don't play the game of football in shorts and shoulder pads...Usually when you have a team that will throw the ball around the yard you will lose the physical aspect of your team...I saw that first hand with Union City as they once were one of the most physical teams in this area under Randy Barnes...They stressed great line play and they had a bruising running game....When Union City started going to the air primarily,they lost that aspect of their game...Although it is fun to see the ball thrown around and see points put up on the scoreboard,it also fun to see a team that,when it has to,can also run the football...We'll see how this works with Obion Central....One thing they will HAVE to be in Region 7-3A is physical..Every week they will be undermanned as far as athletes go....It will be interesting how they balance throwing the ball all over the place with stopping opponents...

Second was the fact that Coach Jackson mentioned they had 66 players out for Spring Practice and had 64 freshman signed up....That is an impressive number for sure..I figure that number will be cut in half with no shows during the summer work-out program..I figure 28-32(freshman) will be out for practice when it opens up in August...You will lose some then too....

I do like the fact they have what looks like an impressive line-up of coaches coming in.....Maybe the supporters of the program will leave Coach Jackson alone and let him do his thing....My questioning of the no pads thing shouldn't be construed as a meddling fan..I have no affiliation with the football program at OC and won't be one of the FEW that will make their way into Jackson's office if the Rebels show no improvement from their 0-10 record of a year ago...I do think it's fair to open up a discussion of it though....

Good Luck to the Rebels on their upcoming summer program and their season in 2008.....