Tough places to Play

Speeding2Live

Guest UtahPass

Taft Youth Center. Maybe not the toughest venue in the state, but it is weird.

Maximum security facility, an unpredictable level of athleticism and plenty of intimidation coming at you from the Taft team, plus major rowdiness from the kids in the stands. The visiting team gets locked into the facility, there are armed guards all around the place and the concessions are free.

It has been a while since they played a home game, but I hear from someone who played there a few years back that its difficult, even if the Taft team may not be very good.

Their coach has been there for years and he is fun to watch.h

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bamarock007

Every time i look at these boards there is always a bunch a players either complaining about calls or acting like their team is god(despite most of them having losing seasons.)Why dont you try winning some games NOT ALMOST WINNING.Actually have more points than the other team.Then if you must talk trash at least you will have a lil background

I'm not sure if it is the thoughest place to play but its one of the loudest stadium's I've been in is down at Collinwood. It's like a giant bowl around the field and the fans are insane. I watched the CPA game there last year and CPA had a lot of calls that should have gone their way and didnt and could be a lot of why they lost the game.

Guest caligula

My dad played ball at Jordan High in LA and he said once after they scored some Crips lined up behind them and said if you win we are going to kill all of you. Thats what the Orange Mound stories remind me of. But... to me the toughest place to play is Maryville. Because people from other schools with flags like to come to the games just to be idiots, and I remember ragging the short kid from M'town. Plus the students read papers and Coacht and know who to yell at and what to say.

Westmoreland - Big Crowds always loud and enthusiastic.

Martin Westview - Plays at UT-Martin makes the visitors intimidated.

Huntingdon - Waters thier field to make it a slop bowl.

Milan - The whole town of Milan comes out with thier cow bells ( cant remember much about that was KO'D early)

Guest trojanball4

if i aint mistaken the short kid from motown west picked off a pass and ran it back. plus he had bout 10 tackles that game too. and yea i left there with a few bruises

I am sure the Maryville fans are very rowdy and boisterous...its one thing to be mocked...quite another to be threatened...I already talked about how in the 70's they didn't even let fans into high school basketball games in Memphis...Games were played at 330 in the afternoon with empty gyms...there had been fights, stabbings, cursing, and deaths...

I remember in the 80's at one of the older high schools in the city a kid was basically decapitated in the hallway.

You go down to schools right now in the city of Memphis, beat them in basektball, and you are going to be threatened, even after the game is over.

I have heard about a team that won a game, went to the locker room cus there was going to be a riot and waited there. The referee knocked on the door, without about 100 people behind him and said they had to come back because their was a techinical on the winning team for celebrating...Thats a true story, but its sad, and won't ever be stopped.

Guest caligula

That kid had a good game. And yes teasing and death threats are totally different. To me Alcoa is also a tough place to play they have so many fans and so little bleachers, that it seems that the Alcoa fans are sitting on the field. And any place Melrose plays is tough. They filled up Vandy in '98 I remember the fans being lound and rowdy even when Kingston was ahead, and then siging "It Ain't my Fault" with the band after they won. I believe the fans were the driving force behind the win. And then they chanted "Melrose" forever it sounded like a bunch of Druids. There unity was altogether scary.

Of all the things to credit for Melrose win, the fans? Kingston had plenty of chances to ice that game and couldn't do it. There were some strange happenings in the 2nd half of that game: Umpire picks free safety, coach King doesn't give the ball to Brian Sharpe, Kingston can't stop a 2-pt conversion, etc.