Tough places to Play

Speeding2Live

Toughest I can ever remember experiencing is absolutely Oak Ridge. Went there in '85 & won a playoff game in front of the loudest pre-game I had ever seen to date. My first experience with the atomic glow was wearing maroon. Your first is always the grandest.

Portland is next. That train makes the hair on your neck stand up. Worked a playoff game there, & that whistle woke the crowd & team up like something I had never seen before.

My currnet favorite location is Kinsport D-B. Being a lifelong Tennessean, something about that huge band playing Rocky Top coming into the end zone that just gives you a chill. The stands are also always full.

Ausit East makes that list if the crowd is big. However, the chicken wings are usually so good, you easily forget any intimidation. Did go to the bus there one night to find one of the tires knifed pretty good.

Lincoln County was special. Went to a playoff game I believe in "90 with ran absolutely pouring down & had to stand all night on top of bleachers. Rumor had it they could get 100 people together to watch the grass grow if the coach wanted them to come watch.

Maryville was a special place, I was one of the few lucky people who played against them ('85-'87) that never lost on that field.

Cloudland- Never been there when it is not 20 degrees cooler than wherever I left from & them boys sure know a thing about laying a lick.

I will also have to add that one night in'86, Rhea Couty was the most itimidating place I had ever been. It was colder than whiz when we went down to play them in the 3rd round of the playoffs. They came out wearing the most aweful Kelly (play on a name there) green painted shoes & green uni's. They looked like the Jolly green giant, & there were 55 gallon drums with firewood in them in both end zones. I'll never forget hearing they were "getting ready to put on the pots for us to jump in" as we went out to warm up. SOunded like a good idea during warmups after we laid down on my version oof the frozen tundra.

:(:)

• 11 years later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

After looking thru all the posts, I found it hard to believe that no one mentioned Sevier County and the HUMP.  You could only see the top of the players on the other side of the field.  I haven't seen the field this year yet, but I am pretty sure it will not be as bad since they now have turf.

Maryville was tough for one reason of the short fence that was just a yard or 2 past the back line of the end zone next to the school.  I actually know this first hand, got lucky I did not hit where a post was.

Maryville was tough for one reason of the short fence that was just a yard or 2 past the back line of the end zone next to the school.  I actually know this first hand, got lucky I did not hit where a post was.

It was was slightly downhill too. Is that the only reason? No track and the student section sitting on the rail yelling Applebee's at certain players when the kickoff hits them in the back is pretty intimidating too.

Taft Youth Center. Maybe not the toughest venue in the state, but it is weird.

Maximum security facility, an unpredictable level of athleticism and plenty of intimidation coming at you from the Taft team, plus major rowdiness from the kids in the stands. The visiting team gets locked into the facility, there are armed guards all around the place and the concessions are free.

It has been a while since they played a home game, but I hear from someone who played there a few years back that its difficult, even if the Taft team may not be very good.

Their coach has been there for years and he is fun to watch.h

This is a memory for sure in 1987 when GB won the state we played at Taft,they liked to have killed Brian Hanley our all state RB.The field had a ground guide wire that grounded in the endzone and the pushed him as he ran a TD and it hit him in the neck and almost did a complete flip.That was his last run in that game to say the least.Lol.

It was was slightly downhill too. Is that the only reason? No track and the student section sitting on the rail yelling Applebee's at certain players when the kickoff hits them in the back is pretty intimidating too.

RR cirtainlee gooder points......Butt tha cup bawl kidz hecklin' tha viziturs beehind tha Skeeter and tha refs taikin' oft thair hats when'st tha band plays "Deer Old Mairvul Hi" iz upp thair...... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

My back yard is a tough place to play...especially when the Dane is loose and putting out her "land mines."

But the grass there has better roots than Murvile's turf FWIW.

APB hits rilly sad thait yore bewtifull bride iz part ov tha "Leecont Laind Mine Reemoovull Teem" (LLMRT) and yore knott inn my opinyun...... :popcorneater: