District 11AA Tournament

oakwood

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tigers lost a heartbreaker but played well and almost came out with the win.

Conrats to Justin Vogel & Josh Graham for making All tournament and to Justin for 2nd team all district and Ben Leonard for 1st team all district. You did a great job guys be proud of yourselves and your team. And you will be the team to beat next year with everyone returning and being a stronger and more experienced team.

Can you name a game where there was good officiating???? You hear people cry one way or another about bad officiating. You wont even remember this next season....

That's not necessarily true. I had another child play 3 years ago and I still remember the fouls, technical and such. This officiating crew this year has been the worst I have seen in years. They ref like a jr. high level not high school. Most people blame the refs for their losses, I don't think Tigermom is doing that. I am not either. When Waverly lost, we just didn't play as a team or our heads were somewhere else. At the SC game, the refs were awful on both sides of the gym. It's like they are out there for some other reason than officiating the game. In an earlier post, I read that SC didn't play their best game that night. That maybe true, but there was a person taking pictures of the players (SC) as they were making free throw and EVERY time they were about to shoot she would flash them. No wonder they were missing them. I really felt sorry for the players.

I always said they should hand out 10 whistles to each side and let them take turns calling the game from the stands. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The truth of the matter is that there should be no arguing judgement calls which 95% of basketball calls are. Foul/no call, block/charge, traveling/carrying and out of bounds calls are pretty much judgemental. Not knowing the rules is another thing. An official that doesn't know the rules of the game is a different matter. That seemed to be the case when Harpeth visited Stewart County with the inadvertent whistle thing. It also seems that the referees that call the Stewart County games get singled out more this year for whatever reason.

TSSAA sanctions the middle school and junior high referees too, so 'called like a junior high game' means what? They are the same referees! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I understand that some of the newbies earn their stripes at J.V. and middle school games but you also see some of the same guys calling basketball from 4th grade on up. You certainly see guys calling middle school one night and high school the next. It's the same game. Just different skill levels with the players.

As a guy that enjoys umpiring, I would not enjoy calling basketball because of the way the game is played today. There are guys that carry the ball every single time they take the ball up the court. There are guys that travel almost every time they try to take someone off the dribble. A foul could literally be called on every rebound. Call too many and you're shooting free throws all night and interrupting the flow of the game. Call too few and the 'somebody's going to get hurt' crys come from the stands. Ball, strike, safe, out, fair, foul seems a lot simpler......

That's not necessarily true. I had another child play 3 years ago and I still remember the fouls, technical and such. This officiating crew this year has been the worst I have seen in years. They ref like a jr. high level not high school. Most people blame the refs for their losses, I don't think Tigermom is doing that. I am not either. When Waverly lost, we just didn't play as a team or our heads were somewhere else. At the SC game, the refs were awful on both sides of the gym. It's like they are out there for some other reason than officiating the game. In an earlier post, I read that SC didn't play their best game that night. That maybe true, but there was a person taking pictures of the players (SC) as they were making free throw and EVERY time they were about to shoot she would flash them. No wonder they were missing them. I really felt sorry for the players.

The photographer flashing her camara to intentionally distract the other team has been going on for a while, especially at their gym. When you're at their gym their athletic director did nothing about it even when asked to stop it. It's sad that a grown up would do something like that trying to give their team an advantage.

The photographer flashing her camara to intentionally distract the other team has been going on for a while, especially at their gym. When you're at their gym their athletic director did nothing about it even when asked to stop it. It's sad that a grown up would do something like that trying to give their team an advantage.

Yeah, I'm not sure about rules but I believe if you are on the floor taking the picture you're not supposed to use flashes. My wife and I take pictures for Waverly and we don't use flashes for that very reason. I wouldn't want to hurt my own team or the other.

This person taking the pictures was not from the opposing team, It was someone with SC taking pictures of the SC boys as they shot free throws and she timed it perfectly every time they shot. They had to see stars everytime. It was very sad to say the least. They shot horribly from the line that night and I would say that had to be part of the reason.

This person taking the pictures was not from the opposing team, It was someone with SC taking pictures of the SC boys as they shot free throws and she timed it perfectly every time they shot. They had to see stars everytime. It was very sad to say the least. They shot horribly from the line that night and I would say that had to be part of the reason.

Thanks Tigermom. I guess they didn't understand my post. She wasn't flashing Waverly, she was flashing SC.

Yeah, I'm not sure about rules but I believe if you are on the floor taking the picture you're not supposed to use flashes. My wife and I take pictures for Waverly and we don't use flashes for that very reason. I wouldn't want to hurt my own team or the other.

The flash is extremely annoying BUT.

The rule, and it really hasn't changed in many many years, is simply no flash in the lane. Other than that you can pretty much do as you please. With camera technology where it is these days a flash isn't really necessary if the photographer learns to use their equipment.

As far as the lady and the flash at SC goes I would probably not be too paranoid. I noticed her too and some of the people at the game also complained about her. The camera she is using has a focus delay and a preflash delay so when she sees a kid shoot and mashes the release she is already a fraction after the shot, so I would be surprised if that was her intention. My guess is since she did it so many times she wasn't getting the picture she wanted.

There is or was a guy who shot for the Dickson Press who puts studio strobes in the gym. His were raised and at a corner and when a kid came in to shoot all he would see was an explosion of light. behind the basket. Talk about distracting. (he was asked to remove them after complaints at a game I attended)

If you have any concern like this then approach the athletic director. If he/she is less than sympathetic then the coach needs to ask the referees to have the photographer stop.