Bearden vs. Maryville

YouWishYouWereARebel

Anyone who thinks that Oak Ridge is not the team to beat in the Region is delusional.

They will handily beat Bearden if they play. Maryville would be closer, but I still like the 'Cats.

It's likely that I am quite delusional; however, I don't think right now that there is a 5 point difference between Oak Ridge, Bearden, Maryville and Farragut on a given night. These will be the four teams in the regional semi, and its just a matter of match-ups as to who will win.

As for Maryville and Oak Ridge, Oak Ridge has the capability to limit Dameron with Stephens. Dowdell is a tough match-up for Maryville. I give Maryville the other three, and Maryville is deeper than Oak Ridge. This will be a fun game to watch.

Don't count out Farragut. This is the toughest Farragut team I have seen in the last few years, and they gave Bearden a run in the District Semi. Bearden is a tough match-up for Farragut. I think another match could go either way.

If I had to guess now, I would pick Maryville over Oak Ridge. The other game will be tough. I really don't have a prediction in that game. Bearden will have a tough job beating Farragut a fourth time this year.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's likely that I am quite delusional; however, I don't think right now that there is a 5 point difference between Oak Ridge, Bearden, Maryville and Farragut on a given night. These will be the four teams in the regional semi, and its just a matter of match-ups as to who will win.

As for Maryville and Oak Ridge, Oak Ridge has the capability to limit Dameron with Stephens. Dowdell is a tough match-up for Maryville. I give Maryville the other three, and Maryville is deeper than Oak Ridge. This will be a fun game to watch.

Don't count out Farragut. This is the toughest Farragut team I have seen in the last few years, and they gave Bearden a run in the District Semi. Bearden is a tough match-up for Farragut. I think another match could go either way.

If I had to guess now, I would pick Maryville over Oak Ridge. The other game will be tough. I really don't have a prediction in that game. Bearden will have a tough job beating Farragut a fourth time this year.

dontknowmuch ... I suppose we've disagreed about this all season ... but I still put Oak Ridge, Maryville, and Bearden on tier 1 ... with Farragut on tier 2. Agreed they played a heck of a game against Bearden and I LOVE the Hunley kid, but I just don't think I can lump them in with OR, Maryville, and Bearden. Maybe the Admirals will prove me wrong in the Regions. Wouldn't disappoint me if they did ... I like Coach Dodgen a lot. He had a classic Dodgen moment in the Bearden game ... midway through first half, the foul count is 7 on Farragut ... 1 on Bearden. One of the Farragut kids gets bodied pretty heavy and no foul called. Dodgen takes a "30" and doesn't even talk to his team, he talks to the ref the whole time. Next time i check out the foul count? Its 8 on Farragut ... 9 on Bearden. The guy is as good as anyone I know at working the refs.

dontknowmuch ... I suppose we've disagreed about this all season ... but I still put Oak Ridge, Maryville, and Bearden on tier 1 ... with Farragut on tier 2. Agreed they played a heck of a game against Bearden and I LOVE the Hunley kid, but I just don't think I can lump them in with OR, Maryville, and Bearden. Maybe the Admirals will prove me wrong in the Regions. Wouldn't disappoint me if they did ... I like Coach Dodgen a lot. He had a classic Dodgen moment in the Bearden game ... midway through first half, the foul count is 7 on Farragut ... 1 on Bearden. One of the Farragut kids gets bodied pretty heavy and no foul called. Dodgen takes a "30" and doesn't even talk to his team, he talks to the ref the whole time. Next time i check out the foul count? Its 8 on Farragut ... 9 on Bearden. The guy is as good as anyone I know at working the refs.

I don't disagree with your assessment. I think that Maryville and Bearden are at the top of this group. Oak Ridge may be with those two, but with the their schedule since Christmas, it's hard to judge where they are. The blew through their district tournament beating Clinton (about .500), Central (probably the worst 3A team in East Tennessee), and Karns (about .500), and they play the best perimeter defense I have seen (somehow Powell scored from the perimeter - go figure). But they have not played the type of schedule that demonstrates that they are a dominate team. They may be, and the region will test them. As for Farragut, they are inconsistent, but on a good night they can challenge any of the other three. I just think that this region tournament might generate a surprise.

Yeah about Maryville getting the cheer from Lenoir City. I don't think that is how it went. I got the cheer from Maryville College, who has done the cheer for years. They got it from Methodist about 10 years ago. Never have I seen Lenoir City do that cheer. Maybe because I have never seen Lenoir City Win a game.

Maryville fans how would you compare Damron and Lee Humphrey when they were in high school? I know a lot goes into recruiting at the D1 level but I would take a chance on him. People will argue size speed etc but I thought Travis Stinnet at Alcoa was a good player at Alabama and I see JOrdan as a better shooter. What do you guys think?

Yeah about Maryville getting the cheer from Lenoir City. I don't think that is how it went. I got the cheer from Maryville College, who has done the cheer for years. They got it from Methodist about 10 years ago. Never have I seen Lenoir City do that cheer. Maybe because I have never seen Lenoir City Win a game.

Lenoir City got that cheer from their former football coaches. The coach that was before N. White and White (former Maryville Co. Players) taught that cheer to the students back in 00-01. They actually got to use that chant then because they had some good basketball teams under Mitchell when they were still in AA.

Maryville fans how would you compare Damron and Lee Humphrey when they were in high school? I know a lot goes into recruiting at the D1 level but I would take a chance on him. People will argue size speed etc but I thought Travis Stinnet at Alcoa was a good player at Alabama and I see JOrdan as a better shooter. What do you guys think?

Jordan Damron is a better ball handler than Lee Humphrey was. Him and Lee Humphrey can both shoot the lights out.

Lee Humphrey is taller,bigger and more athletic. What a lot of people don't realize is Lee Humphrey was a great athlete. Humphrey can do windmill dunks and two hand reverse dunks with ease. He also would have been starting quarterback had he stuck with football.

Lee Humphrey has that same look on his face at all times. He has that goofy little grin on his face. Jordan is more emotional. He is a fiery leader. Jordan is very intense and hates losing.

Travis Stinnett and Damron would probably be a better comparison. Stinnet was a much better ball handler. Stinnet was one of the best ball handlers I ever seen. If Lee Humphrey had Travis Stinnets ball handling skills he would be in the NBA.

Jordan Damron is a better ball handler than Lee Humphrey was. Him and Lee Humphrey can both shoot the lights out.

Lee Humphrey is taller,bigger and more athletic. What a lot of people don't realize is Lee Humphrey was a great athlete. Humphrey can do windmill dunks and two hand reverse dunks with ease. He also would have been starting quarterback had he stuck with football.

Lee Humphrey has that same look on his face at all times. He has that goofy little grin on his face. Jordan is more emotional. He is a fiery leader. Jordan is very intense and hates losing.

Travis Stinnett and Damron would probably be a better comparison. Stinnet was a much better ball handler. Stinnet was one of the best ball handlers I ever seen. If Lee Humphrey had Travis Stinnets ball handling skills he would be in the NBA.

Jordan Damron is not as tall as lee humphrey but can handle the ball better and shoot just as well. JD also isnt afriad to take it inside while lee humphrey was pretty much just mid and long range. Many think because of his size, it will keep him from going D1 but there might be one or two school s that offer him a scholarship. Do you think Maryville will beat Powell. I havent seen Powell play lately but they were the last team to beat us last year.

Jordan will be playing D1 basketball, hes got a pretty good offer on the table, if he doesnt take that scholarship and desides to walk on a UT, then he will still do just fine.

I would say during Travis' senior he would still be a little better than JD but i believe his best is still ahead of him and he is gonna prove some people wrong.

If Travis had Lee's size, range and athletic ability, then he would be playing pro ball.