Poll Class A Miss Basketball

greenwheel

Class A MissBasketball  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Class A MissBasketball

ptguard12, you have proven that you know quite a bit about girls basketball so I have a question. First off, I am not taking anything away from the player in which the award was rewarded. I am just curious as to who exactly votes on the District MVP's. Laken had higher stats and her team ended up with a better record. It's a given that there are some hard feelings with some from RBS including the coach, and that's a given...I'm not letting the cat out of the bag there. I'm just trying to make some sense as to why she didn't get MVP when it was very much deserved and that it can effect her getting Miss Basketball. I'm not trying to get ppl to jump on me for this post and I'm attacking no one, I'm just asking YOU why her not getting district MVP could be justified? How can you have a Miss Basketball finalist, who didn't get District MVP and didn't lose out to a fellow Miss Basketball finalist? I've scrambled around trying to find the right words to say and I'm not sure if I've got it right. It's just, if you deserve to be a finalist, how can you not deserve District MVP?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ptguard12, you have proven that you know quite a bit about girls basketball so I have a question. First off, I am not taking anything away from the player in which the award was rewarded. I am just curious as to who exactly votes on the District MVP's. Laken had higher stats and her team ended up with a better record. It's a given that there are some hard feelings with some from RBS including the coach, and that's a given...I'm not letting the cat out of the bag there. I'm just trying to make some sense as to why she didn't get MVP when it was very much deserved and that it can effect her getting Miss Basketball. I'm not trying to get ppl to jump on me for this post and I'm attacking no one, I'm just asking YOU why her not getting district MVP could be justified? How can you have a Miss Basketball finalist, who didn't get District MVP and didn't lose out to a fellow Miss Basketball finalist? I've scrambled around trying to find the right words to say and I'm not sure if I've got it right. It's just, if you deserve to be a finalist, how can you not deserve District MVP?

A couple of years ago (I think) one of the Perry County girls either Weatherly or Edney (not sure about spelling) didn't win district MVP but won the Miss Basketball award. I thought then that was odd to be the best in the state but not the best in the district.

the same thing could have happened in 12A with abby andrews as well...if the mvp process would have been different (i think it was a blind vote with no discussion) then there's probably a chance she might not have gotten the award...im not sure her coach would have nominated her if each coach was responsible for nominating from his/her own team b/c she was not the leading scorer on the team (but maybe not all her fault b/c she played a post position most of the year and will play guard at mtsu), but he might have...

to answer why....i think most ppl are jealous by human nature and get tired of seeing the same ppl get more publicity and win awards all the time when there are other ppl on the team who are also very talented but don't get near as much exposure due to the one overpowering player...everyone wants to be for the underdog usually

my guess on LL is that the other coaches resent it when players transfer, though they probably wouldn't publicly admit it, and they held it against her...plus she has two more years to win the award (even though she might have deserved it this year) as if that makes any difference

in 12a this year there are 6 college signees that i know of (3 div. I) with 3 more probably waiting to sign at the end of the season, and there's no doubt if i'm picking a team from these girls that my first pick EVERY time will be abby andrews hands down...so good luck abby in being the 2nd cwood player to win the award!

Good job Gottaluvit, someone needed to ask it and pt guard gave a straight up answer that alot of us know why things didn't go the way the should have that ole dreaded word JEALOUSY...You know for good players to have an attitude toward another because one or the other play's better has always been an issue. I think the girls get over it sooner or later. You would think that adults would want to set a better example than that.

One of the hardest lesson i learned in my younger motherhood day's, an old colored lady a friend of mines grandma, her and I was watching my son and her grandson play.. well, her grandson decided to wack mine with a baseball bat {TOY} and well, mine decided to wack him harder and he cried well, i went to go scold mine and she grabbed me and said if you never learn anything listen to me.. Now if you go down there and get on them and seperate them, then you might be stepping on someone else's toes, just wait it out and they will work it out. She continued to tell me, in five minutes those boy's will never think another thing about it and if parent's get involved and things aren't going well, they sometimes go overboard and it takes longer for an adult to see the good in things than it does a child. Sometimes they never get over it and cause the kid's hardship.. A child holds no grudges unless it is taught to....Guess what? She was right in less than time alloted the kids were back to playing though we both corrected them in what they were doing was wrong. They were happy and she and I were happy.. I learned allot from this Lady, she is dead and gone now but she left me with a lil more wisdom than I could have had.. I can compare this story to most of basketball teams problems...might be wrong just my perception on it...but it would help if the adults would act like adults.....We, who know the situation know that things might not of went like they should have, not right but it happend. What goes around comes around..I believe it will work out in the wash...

Congrats Kayla, hope you win but more than that I hope you and team bring Gold Ball back to OZ...GO LADY BOBCATS /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> 7A hope your doing well

Congrats Kayla, hope you win but more than that I hope you and team bring Gold Ball back to OZ...GO LADY BOBCATS /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> 7A hope your doing well

OS is one of the few teams that has a legitimate shot at beating one of the teams from 7A. Congrats to Miss Christopher on her nomination, its well deserved!

Good analysis overall in these threads.

I do believe all three girls are talented and will have exceptional Divison 1 careers at the next level and each player is deserving of the nomination.

I disagree with a couple comments:

Kayla is consdiered by manyto be the most talented player in Class A in her own right. Also, Kayla has certainly garnered a lot of attention from many throughout the state. Granted, Avan's transfer put her front and center. As of this moment though, she's yet to play in a state tourney game compared to the 2 state tourneys of Christopher's.

Additionally, Kaya Christopher is the media darling of East Tennessee and will certainly Garner all the Upper East Tennessee, Knoxville area, and Chattanooga voters. She was the East Tennessee Sophomore of the year last year and after her performances in the state tourney last year, her and Oliver Springs have received a lot of ink. It's safe to assume Laken isn't even on the radar of East Tennesse voters. With that being siad, Kayal has recieved publicity from West and Middle Tennessee because of her performances.

There needs to be corrections made to what you posted:

Laken did not get "cut" from the flight team. She opted to play for Tiffany Woosley( former UT Lady Vol and WNBA Houston Comets standout player), the coach of Tennessee Team Pride. She has been playing for this same program for the past 4 years.

Tennessee Team Pride has been very successful at the National level, placing 3rd one year and 7th one year. It is also true that Team Pride beat Kayla Christopher's team every game but one.

Now, I'm not trying to take anything away from Christopher; I agree that she is a great player, but I think factual information needs to be on here instead of opinions.

The most important thing to know about Laken is this: While she is appreciative of the individual honors that she gets, she would gladly give up Miss Basketball and all other individual awards to get the TEAM award! She wants to help her team and coach bring home the gold!

The most important thing to know about Laken is this: While she is appreciative of the individual honors that she gets, she would gladly give up Miss Basketball and all other individual awards to get the TEAM award! She wants to help her team and coach bring home the gold!

I have watched her all year and have to say ( and I mean this as a compliment) I have not seen one act of selfishness and she is a true team player, I especially love her passes to Amy and Vic.

oh. are you implying that any of them would rather have the individual than the team? if you are that is pretty low because i know for a fact abby andrews would have done anything she could to have kept her team from gettin put out. im sure christopher would rather have the gold too.

oh. are you implying that any of them would rather have the individual than the team? if you are that is pretty low because i know for a fact abby andrews would have done anything she could to have kept her team from gettin put out. im sure christopher would rather have the gold too.

Evidently, you are not to educated and not done your research, you would expect that with a newby poster. Bud1 was pretty well spoken and if you take it any other way than he was making statements of what laken would do and not implying anything. Most of the time these JC fan's don't imply anything they just tell you straight up what they think.. but it is something about people that love to hate JC and try to start something...