BTW @ Dyer County

N2Choctaws

The only team that stands out on BT's schedule is Mitchell and maybe GW Carver. Mitchell beat BT twice. UC, Haywood, and Bolivar all beat Mitchell this season. Haywood split with Mitchell.Of course that means nothing at this point. The weak schedule may come back to haunt BT Washington....could very well be the reason they dropped the two games to Mitchell. I know about Tim Ware but I haven't seen BT in person. I'm sure they have lots of talent just as Mitchell but I have no doubt DC is every bit as good. I think DC's speed will be the difference. From the times I have seen DC the thing that I notice is that they have about 12 to 15 plays a game that simply overwhelms the opponent....I think that alone might be the deciding factor. Someone else made the statement about DC having a coaching advantage...I would agree with that. I'm not questioning the Memphis areas coaching abilities I just beleive they rely to much on talent...I could be wrong but that's my opinion. Great coaching and great talent makes for great teams.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW has all the players from last year except for Jerry Hampton. BTW is taylor made for DC, but the deciding factor for DC will be that they have a better coach. BTW coach needs to retire because the talent that comes through BTW year in and year out is being wasted. He has made bad decisions after bad decisions and that will ultimately result in BTW losing again to DC. As a BTW alum, I hate saying that but it is what it is. BTW is as loaded as any team in the state. They can run with the best of them, however, the deciding factor will be the coach that coaches the best down the stretch will win. You don't have to worry about BTW coach doing that so the edge goes to DC.

Hey Adsmom86, save me a seat. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

man icy you said it...btw will be ready but im not sure about the coaching...when mitchell went to a 1-2-2 zone in the fourth, btw was lost as ever, they kept looking at the coach on what to do, also some of the players that he played shouldnt have been out there in such a big game...i predict a good game, with dc favorite at home...but i wouldnt not be surprise if btw pulled through....ray ray ware

Don't forget yankees, most teams down in Memphis have the same exact speed advantage. I'm not sure about BTW as I have not seen them yet but I have seen Mitchell, Craigmont, Hamilton, and some of the D.II schools down there and those teams are about equal in speed and athleticism. The difference will be coaching. Most Memphis schools rely off of the player's ability only and just let them go out there and play. Dyer Co. relies on players ability and coaching ability. I'll take Dyer Co. by 11 in this one.

Don't forget yankees, most teams down in Memphis have the same exact speed advantage. I'm not sure about BTW as I have not seen them yet but I have seen Mitchell, Craigmont, Hamilton, and some of the D.II schools down there and those teams are about equal in speed and athleticism. The difference will be coaching. Most Memphis schools rely off of the player's ability only and just let them go out there and play. Dyer Co. relies on players ability and coaching ability. I'll take Dyer Co. by 11 in this one.

Good point. I agree most teams in Memphis have a speed advantage. But I haven't seen anybody play as relentless, at such a break neck place as DC. Seems like 32 minutes of #$@$ (Like those old Arkanses teams with Nolan Richardson) Liberty played that way and they overwhelmed lots of teams last year..... I just don't think you see that many teams ...at least I haven't....that play at such a break neck pace for the entire game. I agree DC by 11 or something like that.

yea gc speed will not be a problem Monday, BTW guards are faster than any of those teams, the major problem is that their small. The wild card might be the two 6'4 wings of btw. One is very talented but his attitude is Artest, while the other one might hit 3 straight and then miss 10....I predict the game will be decided within 5 points...

Hey GC ! What's Up ? I agree that the speed is there , but what answer do they have to the conditioniing & depth that the "Chocs" posess ? Cooaching ............ well you are better informed there than I am. I can tell ya one thing though, I been watching some high school games on TV up her in Ohio & there would be no contest in what I've seen here vs district 13AA & Region 7 AA ! I'm sure that there are some teams in the cities that are awesome, but the local schools wouldn't want to come to Tennessee !

Hey GC ! What's Up ? I agree that the speed is there , but what answer do they have to the conditioniing & depth that the "Chocs" posess ? Cooaching ............ well you are better informed there than I am. I can tell ya one thing though, I been watching some high school games on TV up her in Ohio & there would be no contest in what I've seen here vs district 13AA & Region 7 AA ! I'm sure that there are some teams in the cities that are awesome, but the local schools wouldn't want to come to Tennessee !

That's what I was trying to say. 32 minutes of everything a team could possibly give. Don't see that to often...even from really good teams. I've been watching Bolivar, UC, Liberty, Jackson NS (the state teams), Jackson SS (the state teams), Haywood County and a handfull of others outside of Memphis. While not confined to one city...rural west tn has closed the gap and it happend sometime ago to. There is no lack of good competetion....none whatsoever.

The level of play has risen in West TN. I saw Bolivar with Wayne and Willie as well as Union City with Weddle and last years Liberty team as well. In the last couple of years I have watched more and more basketball. It seems the teams are better nowadays than they were say 10 years ago, maybe? I'm not old enough to know about these teams but I've heard about all of the top teams and players from "back in the day" with Cude @ OC and the older UC teams with the talent they had etc... I never heard of a team "back in the day" such as the Liberty team playing in tournaments down in Florida and the Arby's Classic in Bristol which has teams from all over the world and playing 2 of the top 5 nationally ranked teams in Oak Hill Acad. and Mater Dei, California in the same season. Now you have Union City at 33-0 and Dyer Co. at 32-1 and their not but maybe 40 minutes from each other. You hear of players around here year in and year out (outside of Memphis) going to play for Memphis, Tennessee, Florida, and BIG TIME schools! I must say the level of play is up than what it used to be.

man icy you said it...btw will be ready but im not sure about the coaching...when mitchell went to a 1-2-2 zone in the fourth, btw was lost as ever, they kept looking at the coach on what to do, also some of the players that he played shouldnt have been out there in such a big game...i predict a good game, with dc favorite at home...but i wouldnt not be surprise if btw pulled through....ray ray ware

Terop,

I agree with everything that you said about BTW, concerning its loss to Mitchell last night. I would like to add these two things, however:

1) BTW did a much better job boxing-out, this time, unlike it's first meeting (loss) vs Mitchell. That night, Mitchell made a living on the offensive boards. It made the difference in the game.

2) Mitchell's sudden, late-game zone defense may have (inadvertently) helped prepare BTW for its game with Dyer County and, perhaps, future opponents.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attended that game....It appeared that a Dyer County scout was there as well.

Anyway, after Mitchell went up by 7 or 8 pts and switched to the zone (it kinda' looked like a 3-2 zone, with several of their big men out front), my initial reaction was that it would catch BTW completely off guard.

It did. They looked completely puzzled--kinda' like a deer in headlights!

After playing the entire game in track-meet fashion, up to that point, Mitchell's coach decided (great, strategic move) to force BTW to suddenly slow down and figure out how to deal with a zone defense! All BTW did was just casually lob the ball back and forth between the two guards, with NO THREAT of attack. As such, BTW failed miserably to muster up any offense... Mitchell's lead swelled to 11pts.

BTW's coach failed them, IMO. It was as if he had never seen a zone defense in his life. He just stood there and watched his team get totally passive and bogged down with indecision and confusion...It was only after a couple of minutes remained in the game that BTW finally started attacking the zone. They then proceeded to make a furious comeback, but it was too much, too little, too late.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW's (2nd) loss to Mitchell should serve as an eye-opener and help make BTW more prepared for a State Title run, provided BTW's Coach learns from his mistakes....he needs to prepare his team on how to effectively attack a zone defense.

Dyer County may defeat BTW--I don't know. Dyer County may employ a zone defense vs BTW--I don't know....What I do know is that the Dyer County scout saw BTW's weakness, as well. A zone defense, however, should not catch BTW off-guard again. I emphasize the word SHOULD.

Terop,

I agree with everything that you said about BTW, concerning its loss to Mitchell last night. I would like to add these two things, however:

1) BTW did a much better job boxing-out, this time, unlike it's first meeting (loss) vs Mitchell. That night, Mitchell made a living on the offensive boards. It made the difference in the game.

2) Mitchell's sudden, late-game zone defense may have (inadvertently) helped prepare BTW for its game with Dyer County and, perhaps, future opponents.

Anyway, after Mitchell went up by 7 or 8 pts and switched to the zone (it kinda' looked like a 3-2 zone, with several of their big men out front), my initial reaction was that it would catch BTW completely off guard.

After playing the entire game in track-meet fashion, up to that point, Mitchell's coach decided (great, strategic move) to force BTW to suddenly slow down and figure out how to deal with a zone defense! All BTW did was just casually lob the ball back and forth between the two guards, with NO THREAT of attack. As such, BTW failed miserably to muster up any offense... Mitchell's lead swelled to 11pts.

BTW's coach failed them, IMO. It was as if he had never seen a zone defense in his life. He just stood there and watched his team get totally passive and bogged down with indecision and confusion...It was only after a couple of minutes remained in the game that BTW finally started attacking the zone. They then proceeded to make a furious comeback, but it was too much, too little, too late.

BTW's (2nd) loss to Mitchell should serve as an eye-opener and help make BTW more prepared for a State Title run, provided BTW's Coach learns from his mistakes....he needs to prepare his team on how to effectively attack a zone defense.

Dyer County may defeat BTW--I don't know. Dyer County may employ a zone defense vs BTW--I don't know....What I do know is that the Dyer County scout saw BTW's weakness, as well. A zone defense, however, should not catch BTW off-guard again. I emphasize the word SHOULD.

That was some great insight into why BTW lost to Mitchell the 2nd time.... I don't like making predictions especially this time of the year but i must say this should be a good game!!! I haven't seen BTW play, except for last year at Dyer County! I believe this game will be different! Good Luck to both teams, but i got to say GO CHOCTAWS!!!!

Terop,

Trader I have to repay the favor. You said everything I didn't want to type. Didn't want to say that was a DC scout but I noticed the guy taking his notes. I hope BTW is better prepared so people won't get on here and crucify then. Also I didn't think Mitchell coach had it in him to make that simple adjustment. As long as BTW was going up and down they looked every bit like #1 in the state, but that zone brought them back to life. They wasted almost a whole quarter to counter with any type of zone attack.

Trader I have to repay the favor. You said everything I didn't want to type. Didn't want to say that was a DC scout but I noticed the guy taking his notes. I hope BTW is better prepared so people won't get on here and crucify then. Also I didn't think Mitchell coach had it in him to make that simple adjustment. As long as BTW was going up and down they looked every bit like #1 in the state, but that zone brought them back to life. They wasted almost a whole quarter to counter with any type of zone attack.

If DC play the way everybody on here is saying, BTW will pull shock everybody in that gym. BTW loves to run and any pressure that DC give them will result in a ton of layups. Their guards are just too good. The difference in this game will be coaching. I played for BTW and I can tell you this from experience. This pressure will not rattle them one bit. That scout better take a page out of Mitchell book and apply it accordingly. This game might be well in the 100's. I still give DC the edge only because of the coaching. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />