Mutliplier Disqualified?

dadoffour

OP says SP does not have money. heck it's a county school. OP is proud of the fact that the community is heavly involved and does raise $$$$$$$$ for various projects. The gym will be very nice and the additional class rooms are much needed. SP is fortunate to have the National Cornbread Festival each year and it aids in various projects. OP agrees rumors as you describe them are part of our every day life. OP does have some 1st hand knowledge but will keep it off these boards. The past is the past and how/why things have not been investgated and perhaps they were to a point.

As time goes on more people (friends, cousins, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts and etc.) close to the situations will leak out info. That is common everyday practice.

OP asks.................... do you know a school that has a future preacher program that assists students in tuition . How about private/privates in Chatt offering a breakfast program to encourage school enrollment. Recruiting.......... the privates if they are not recruiting they need to stay away from the inner city programs prospecting for student atheletes. Yes, this is happening every year using breakfast programs, preacher programs. Just curious how....... many have become..... preachers.

OP says SP had 1 player make the pros, Eddie Moore and many that were good enough to play D1 and could/would not work at the academics.

OP wonders..... if the people involved would under oath stick to their stories?

OP knows a former coach that picked up players from different areas in Chatt and took them to school. Is this recruiting or providing incentive, it could be view as a type of financial aid. Don't get OP wrong some kids need additional help, but is it proper for privates or publics to scan surrounding local middle schools for the student/athelete only.................? OP is sure there are the scholar students that "NEVER" are approach to transfer to a school based on purely academics.

Is this proper? OP tuition for these small privates are not cheap, so how does a kid from a low income family obtain enrollment?

MVM says Op is my new hero. MVM says he likes reading OP posts. ARRRR Go Pirate /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the TSSAA and RC just never cease to amaze me. I really try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they just make it impossible. So, five years ago we needed a multiplier to even the playing field between D1 privates and publics, and now all of a sudden we don't anymore. Has something changed or were they just wrong from the get go? Was this just an experiment to placate the public crowd?

Old Pirate says it's not hard or difficult to see the privates and the larger schools are whining for different reasons. Before............... the privates were...... happy and only...... the small pubic schools were complaining. It is as clear as day, RC would rather have a small group of publics complaining than ALL the privates AND a large number of 2A programs. Ole RC probably feels as if he needs to start wearing those shark protector undies. You all know............ the wire mess type used to keep protect your be-hind from shark attacks.

OP says RC and the TSSAA are attempting to avoid a constant barrage of letters and emails.

Only 16 are relevant to the argument. Girls' basketball seems to be behind girls' soccer, volleyball and softball on the priority list at a lot of Division I privates.

Behind on the "priority list," or could this just be a year when the public school teams happen to be performing better? Or could it be that the multiplier is too high and results in some unfairness to the DI privates in girls basketball?

the TSSAA and RC just never cease to amaze me. I really try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they just make it impossible. So, five years ago we needed a multiplier to even the playing field between D1 privates and publics, and now all of a sudden we don't anymore. Has something changed or were they just wrong from the get go? Was this just an experiment to placate the public crowd?

If this were an exact science, there wouldn't be all this debate about divisions and multipliers and what's fair or not fair. TSSAA tried a multiplier. With a few years of experience with it, there still is no universal consensus on the wisdom or fairness of the multiplier. If the members of the TSSAA Board of Control (Ronnie Carter doesn't decide this) should conclude that some other solution to this ongoing debate should be examined or tried, what's wrong with that? Why criticize them for trying to find better solutions to this classification issue?

OP...if you know of a school that is breaking the rules then man up and report it to the TSSAA. Otherwise, you are just spreading unsubstantiated rumors.

This is what simply amazes me is that all these folks that get on here and claim they know private schools do this or that yet how often are these things reported to the TSSAA? And it`s also amazing how good private schools must be at recruiting. Think about it...you`d have to figure that with all the illegal recruiting they do that every now and then they`d go after a kid that wants to stay in his/her public school. Yet amazingly they don`t report it to the TSSAA. But then folks get on here and claim it`s just common knowledge. If it was so common then why aren`t private schools getting busted left and right by the TSSAA?

Behind on the "priority list," or could this just be a year when the public school teams happen to be performing better? Or could it be that the multiplier is too high and results in some unfairness to the DI privates in girls basketball?

Ezell-Harding is probably the only multiplied private which could have done well in Class A this season. Compare that to other Division I girls sports.

If this were an exact science, there wouldn't be all this debate about divisions and multipliers and what's fair or not fair. TSSAA tried a multiplier. With a few years of experience with it, there still is no universal consensus on the wisdom or fairness of the multiplier. If the members of the TSSAA Board of Control (Ronnie Carter doesn't decide this) should conclude that some other solution to this ongoing debate should be examined or tried, what's wrong with that? Why criticize them for trying to find better solutions to this classification issue?

so what evidence are they offering as proof, in just five years time, that it didn't work? Is there a body of evidence that proves that the "multiplied" schools were at a significant disadavantage to the larger schools they were lumped in with? That's the only reason why they would can it this early into its existence... So show me how this decision reflects the pursuit of "fairness." The multiplier was implemented in the name of fairness, so what has happened in five years time to indicate that it was no longer necessary?

Only 16 are relevant to the argument. Girls' basketball seems to be behind girls' soccer, volleyball and softball on the priority list at a lot of Division I privates.

When there is a high percentage of private schools in the state tournament (soccer, softball, baseball, etc), there are lots of comments about how unfair it is. Lots of silence when the shoe is on the other foot.

JMHO

OP...if you know of a school that is breaking the rules then man up and report it to the TSSAA. Otherwise, you are just spreading unsubstantiated rumors. This is what simply amazes me is that all these folks that get on here and claim they know private schools do this or that yet how often are these things reported to the TSSAA? And it`s also amazing how good private schools must be at recruiting. Think about it...you`d have to figure that with all the illegal recruiting they do that every now and then they`d go after a kid that wants to stay in his/her public school. Yet amazingly they don`t report it to the TSSAA. But then folks get on here and claim it`s just common knowledge. If it was so common then why aren`t private schools getting busted left and right by the TSSAA?

Old Pirate says, VolGen, the Chatt area has numerous small privates that are currently on the growth march and regularly recruit the nearby middle schools. Perhaps VolGen, you should investigate. The area middle school coaches would be able to give all the info needed. OP personally had family teaching at a Chattanooga school and witnessed it 1st hand. OP says it is amazing how the privates are always in denial. Everyone new TT was crossing the line long before it was busted. Why, it took so long,only the TSSAA could answer that question. And quite honestly, they only got a smack on the wrist. The Chatt area is unique, in that it has so many privates that have popped up due to the mess in public school system in Chatt. OP talked to a county official a few days ago regarding their problem. The official agreed the system was in disarray with no imediate solution. This said, the privates needing students have their individual ways of attracting (nicely put) students. OP wonders........... can you actually acknowledge you do "not" know of recruiting and incentitives (scholarships, breakfast programs, preacher programs or boosters paying tuitions for a student).OP suggests you get around more, perhaps closer to Chatt.

OP...if you know of a school that is breaking the rules then man up and report it to the TSSAA. Otherwise, you are just spreading unsubstantiated rumors. This is what simply amazes me is that all these folks that get on here and claim they know private schools do this or that yet how often are these things reported to the TSSAA? And it`s also amazing how good private schools must be at recruiting. Think about it...you`d have to figure that with all the illegal recruiting they do that every now and then they`d go after a kid that wants to stay in his/her public school. Yet amazingly they don`t report it to the TSSAA. But then folks get on here and claim it`s just common knowledge. If it was so common then why aren`t private schools getting busted left and right by the TSSAA?

Old Pirate says, VolGen, the Chatt area has normous small privates that are currently on the growth march and regularly recruit the nearby middle schools. Perhaps VolGen, you should investigate. The area middle school coaches would be able to give all the info needed. OP personally had family teaching at a Chattanooga school and witnessed it 1st hand. OP says it is amazing how the privates are always in denial. Everyone new TT was crossing the line long before it was busted. Why, it took so long,only the TSSAA could answer that question. And quite honestly, they only got a smack on the wrist. The Chatt area is unique, in that it has so many privates that have popped up due to the mess in public school system in Chatt. OP talked to a county official a few days ago regarding their problem. The official agreed the system was in disarray with no immediate solution. This said, the privates needing students have their individual ways of attracting (nicely put) students. OP wonders........... can you actually acknowledge you do "not" know of recruiting and incentitives (scholarships, breakfast programs, preacher programs or boosters paying tuitions for a student).OP suggests you get around more, perhaps closer to Chatt.

When there is a high percentage of private schools in the state tournament (soccer, softball, baseball, etc), there are lots of comments about how unfair it is. Lots of silence when the shoe is on the other foot.

JMHO

Basketball seems to be the only exception to the rule in girls' sports.

Basketball seems to be the only exception to the rule in girls' sports.

I agree.

Why do public schools have dominate girls' basketball and not other sports? In my opinion, it is because girls' basketball is the bell cow of girls athletics at many schools just like football or boys basketball might be at some schools. This usually means that good youth programs including AAU and/or travel teams exist to feed in to high school programs.

Why do private schools dominate sports like soccer, softball and baseball? In my opinion, it is because travel team players tend to succeed in these sports and private schools generally having a higher percentage of these athletes.

Football which is what the majority of the post on the board are concerned with? I think the elements of success are more complex.

JMHO

Has anyone else noticed that all 24 teams in this week's DI girls basketball state tournament are public school teams? What, if anything, does this suggest about the multiplier?

Private school we are in with enrollment of 315 kids played schools with 960 kids. Of the 8 kids on our team that play, 6 of them have been in our school since 1st grade, some in pre-K, so they were definitely not recruited. Football team won may 2 games all year, both basketball teams out 1st round of district. AA teams we are playing from Memphis area bringing 30-40 people to each game, which really helps gate and concession but more than that, kills the atmosphere. Boys getting beat by 40 every night tends to lead to less attendance. But for this, they get to lick their wounds and go home and study for 2 - 3 hours. Yep, TSSAA, you've helped our kids.

And for the record, I grew up in public school (it's in tournament this week) which I loved and if still lived there, would be more than happy for kids to be there. No way, academically or safety wise, would I put my kids in public school here. I don't know what the answer is and am beginning to lean toward a complete split of public-private, but the multiplier and trying to play schools with 3 times your enrollment is not the answer.