Milan and Upperman

GCPioneer

What attitude was that? The only attitude she had was when she got the ball stolen from her before the 2nd half then threw a lazy pass for a TO on the inbounds. Besides that, what are you talking about?

First let me restate that I went back and deleted a portion of that post, because I felt that I was not being fair, and that I should rethink, and post again later. I give a full and heartfelt apology for any hurt feelings on this one. The girl has GREAT game. I have said it before in this thread and in others. She is an outstanding player. I dont know her as a person, but Im sure she is a good person too. I just think that there are times that she should let her game speak for itself. Her game speaks very loudly. She is a great player.

Also, Upperman didn't get the shots they wanted. You're sugar coating the fact that Upperman was manhandled defensively by a good defensive team. There's no shame in that. Upperman got open looks from players that Coach Volbert told his players to back off of and let shoot. I call that good coaching that he wants those players to take and miss open shots because obviously he knows some of them aren't confident. At one point there was an Upperman girl in the corner a couple of feet inside the 3 point line and looked over to the bench as to seek permission to shoot an open shot because Coach V told Hamn to back off her. She shot and missed.... plan worked.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and yes there was some good coaching going on. BUT, we didnt hit some shots that we normally hit. And those would have made a HUGE difference in this game. And it would have made a difference in the way your coach handled things. Would it have changed the outcome? No idea. It was a good win by your team, I take nothing away from them in that. But I do ask that you also dont let your pride, and enthusiasm for your team diminish the play of the Upperman team.

As I said, Lashay Davis couldn't handle the pressure from Chantel Poston. She got 9 quick points in the first quarter because Coach V wanted to save Poston from potential foul trouble and insert her vs. Davis in the 2-4 qtrs. and had Simpson guarding her. After those 3 threes he quickly put Poston on her, and she had 6 points (should've been 3 if the refs don't call two phantom fouls on Poston during Davis's drives resulting in 3 out of 4 FTs).

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I highly doubt that the official mistaked an order barked at a player for one barked at him. I mean when you say something like "Box Out" or some other basketball term, a ref has to know that's not aimed towards him. It may have been, but it's extremely doubtful that he can mistake basketball lingo for criticism.

You will just have to trust me on this one. It was only a small part of the game. It did not cause us to lose. It was some incredible bad timing, but it did not cause us to lose.

Shaniqua Gray is a human video game because she makes moves that are suppose to be impossible for a girl to make. Chantel was amazing as well and nailed everything. I'm not sure about the stats, but I think the person that said Chantel missed a lot is mistaken.

I like this kid a lot. Great moves. Amazing player. And I like the smile on her face when she plays. Seems like a good kid. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Anyways, you have my heartfelt apology for anything that ticked you off. I will try to be at the game tomorrow, would love to see your team win it.

Good game Upperman... Like I said 13AA baby!... Milan played extremly well despite upperman being able to hack at our girls inside all day... So the tech pretty much evened it out... Go Dawgs Shaniqua + Chantel= Awesome! Amazing! Incredible!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Im throwng my magic 8 ball out when I get to the office on Monday!!!! You got me on this one. Will look for you again next year!! Good luck Saturday. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you see i have to agree with the 7AA posters in here

they have realized that 13AA is the power now in AA girls basketball by their statements "nobody thought we could hang with Milan but we did"

i like the sound of that ... they are saying "we hung with them" when they get beat by 20

we have been saying that 13AA is better and they finally are realizing it

and it ain't gonna get any better, because 13AA has the best sophomore class in the state ... 12+ college players in that grade alone

(oh by the way Milan was 3rd in 13AA regular season district ... you need to thank them for knocking out the 13AA #1 seed Obion who beat Marshall County earlier this year by about 20 points ... so now you can have a decent final instead of a blowout)

Were you at the game? Milan controlled the game & pulled away in the 4th quarter but the game was better than the final score portrayed. The reason I said "we hung better than every one said we would" is because to hear everyone from 13AA talk we were nothing. We will come back next year with all starters & only 2 seniors next year. If you think Upperman won't be back you need to think again. This year Milan loses 2 big seniors with Gray & Poston, Obion has 6 or 7 seniors, Gibson 4 or 5 seniors, Upperman loses 1, LA no seniors, McMinn out of East TN was in the final 4 with no seniors. I will agree West Tn teams bring it but our teams definitely belong. The Upper Cumberland area had 2-AA teams in the final 8 & 2-A teams. This area lives basketball & has great female athletes as does West Tn.

So Chantel didn't shut Lashay down gator?

Were you at the game? Milan controlled the game & pulled away in the 4th quarter but the game was better than the final score portrayed. The reason I said "we hung better than every one said we would" is because to hear everyone from 13AA talk we were nothing. We will come back next year with all starters & only 2 seniors next year. If you think Upperman won't be back you need to think again. This year Milan loses 2 big seniors with Gray & Poston, Obion has 6 or 7 seniors, Gibson 4 or 5 seniors, Upperman loses 1, LA no seniors, McMinn out of East TN was in the final 4 with no seniors. I will agree West Tn teams bring it but our teams definitely belong. The Upper Cumberland area had 2-AA teams in the final 8 & 2-A teams. This area lives basketball & has great female athletes as does West Tn.

Game better than the score?Milan was up by 10 most of the 2nd qtr until Chantel makes those two bad plays because of her lousy attitude for 30 seconds. That cut it to 5.Milan had a 10 point lead again @ the end of 3.Milan scored 14 unanswered points to go up by 24.I don't see where you think it was close?

Sorry but Gibson doesn't lose 4-5 seniors. They lose one starter, and if you have trouble stopping Gray, then have fun stopping Butler!

Milan will represent this year and Gibson Co. will next year.

So Chantel didn't shut Lashay down gator?Game better than the score?Milan was up by 10 most of the 2nd qtr until Chantel makes those two bad plays because of her lousy attitude for 30 seconds. That cut it to 5.Milan had a 10 point lead again @ the end of 3.Milan scored 14 unanswered points to go up by 24.I don't see where you think it was close?

I was laughing because the way you put it, this game was Davis -v- Poston/Gray. And anything that happened in the game was because it was the way that Milan wanted it to go. Milan forced this. Milan made this mistake. Milan made caused this. Milan out did this, Milan outdid that.

Man, you have a great team. But what you are doing throughout the last page or so of this thread is exactly what was bothering me in my earlier post. LET YOUR TEAMS PLAY SPEAK FOR ITSELF. Yes, you should be proud of them. It is a great win, puts them in a great spot...a spot that hundreds of teams wish they could be in. That is WONDERFUL for your team. Come in here and thump your chest a little, and be happy. But to act like you had your way with Upperman throughout the whole game, and that you always had control, outcome never in doubt...that is just wrong.

We made mistakes (12 missed free throws may have caused a problem), and your team made mistakes, but there were also FORCED ERRORS both directions. That is why we play the game. Otherwise you had us beat on paper. 2 Senior Starters for you, none for us. We were told all week that we are "not an athletic team" and I saw your team play, you are clearly very athletic. So why play the game. Lets just look at all the games on paper next year and call the outcome that way. Obviously one team never has an affect on the others play.

I think our girls hustled, and made a game of it for 3 1/2 quarters. (maybe closer to just 3 quarters). You won by 20. We get it. But to say that we were manhandled is overstating it.

Thats all.

gatorbill, your thinking of Julianne Joyner...those were probably the biggest three's she has hit this year!!!

turnadouble, Gibson Co. does have 4 or 5 Seniors..(#55Jennilee Pate(starter), #43 Felicia Huey, #23 Mitzi Murphree, Lauren Martin, #53 Kristina Smith)...What we have returning is the heart of our team! We return PG #11 Heather Butler (future Ms. Basketball candidate), G #10 Jeniqua Jennings, G #34 Brittney Garner, and F #54 Heather Griffin...Butler and Griffin are only Sophomores this year. Gibson Co. has the best Freshman class coming up next year in quite some time...IF we don't win a state championship or two within the next 4 years I'll be VERY surprised!!!! We have talent galore coming up into the high school next year!

gatorbill, your thinking of Julianne Joyner...those were probably the biggest three's she has hit this year!!!

turnadouble, Gibson Co. does have 4 or 5 Seniors..(#55Jennilee Pate(starter), #43 Felicia Huey, #23 Mitzi Murphree, Lauren Martin, #53 Kristina Smith)...What we have returning is the heart of our team! We return PG #11 Heather Butler (future Ms. Basketball candidate), G #10 Jeniqua Jennings, G #34 Brittney Garner, and F #54 Heather Griffin...Butler and Griffin are only Sophomores this year. Gibson Co. has the best Freshman class coming up next year in quite some time...IF we don't win a state championship or two within the next 4 years I'll be VERY surprised!!!! We have talent galore coming up into the high school next year!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Those were certainly clutch.

I was laughing because the way you put it, this game was Davis -v- Poston/Gray. And anything that happened in the game was because it was the way that Milan wanted it to go. Milan forced this. Milan made this mistake. Milan made caused this. Milan out did this, Milan outdid that.

Man, you have a great team. But what you are doing throughout the last page or so of this thread is exactly what was bothering me in my earlier post. LET YOUR TEAMS PLAY SPEAK FOR ITSELF. Yes, you should be proud of them. It is a great win, puts them in a great spot...a spot that hundreds of teams wish they could be in. That is WONDERFUL for your team. Come in here and thump your chest a little, and be happy. But to act like you had your way with Upperman throughout the whole game, and that you always had control, outcome never in doubt...that is just wrong.

We made mistakes (12 missed free throws may have caused a problem), and your team made mistakes, but there were also FORCED ERRORS both directions. That is why we play the game. Otherwise you had us beat on paper. 2 Senior Starters for you, none for us. We were told all week that we are "not an athletic team" and I saw your team play, you are clearly very athletic. So why play the game. Lets just look at all the games on paper next year and call the outcome that way. Obviously one team never has an affect on the others play.

I think our girls hustled, and made a game of it for 3 1/2 quarters. (maybe closer to just 3 quarters). You won by 20. We get it. But to say that we were manhandled is overstating it.

Thats all.

I think you need to look at what sparked this discussion. You and your buddy making excuses as to why you lost and then call out Chantel Poston for being a poor sport.

I think my team's play did speak for itself as we won by 20 points. You and your buddies can sugar coat it all you want, but it still says Milan won by 20 points.

Sorry to be a jerk, but you say I'm on here "thumping my chest" but ignore the fact that nothing came from me until some comments that were either 1. Excuses or 2. Pathetic when you call out a player because your team just got smoked.

Now I know you're a respectable poster gator, but it's pathetic that you come on here and call out a player that just kicked your teams tail with 21 points and 13 rebounds and yet you expect no comments. I give you credit for editing, but people just like me saw the post and those comments.

Yes Milan dominated and all you guys can do is point to oh we were withing 1-3 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.... completely ignoring the fact you were down 10 after the 3rd qtr. Then you ignore the fact that you got outscored 14-0 to start the 4th quarter. 4 quarters= a basketball game. I would love to know how many minutes of those 32 were with Milan up double digits. I'm sorry but there is no excuse that can sugar coat the fact Milan dominated Upperman! You can't use fatigue because Milan plays only 6 players; you can't use personnel because Davis is Mrs. Basketball Candidate; you can't use anything except Milan turned the defensive intensity up.

If you want to say Lashay played well when Poston was put on her then you can lie to yourself but the facts remains that she was taken out of her game after Chantel was put on her after she scored the 9 points on Simpson.

6 points, 3 of which were terrible calls by the officials after Chantel supposedly fouled her, were scored by Davis.

She didn't drive much with Poston guarding her because she knew she couldn't take Poston off the dribble. Without her penetrating, Upperman is a good, not great team.

You guys lose 4-5 seniors, but besides Pate none are big losses with that 8th grade class coming up. To say Gibson Co. is losing 4-5 seniors makes it sound like Gibson Co. is doomed. That's not the case at all and was trying to point that out GC Pioneer. You guys are going to have your way through the district and region next year. I think the Martin-GC games will be fun to watch though.

I understand. A name that hasn't been mentioned that we also return next year is Erika Schlesinger...She knocked down 1 or 2 3's against Marshall Co. and has been a main sub for almost the whole season...I do believe that it'll be Gibson Co. and Martin Westview battling it for the next 2 years...Westview has not a Senior on the team and their 2 best players (Grace Ann Swaim and Amber Rechis) are only Sophomores this year. It'll make for some great games. We also can't forget about Obion Co. as they'll still have Chassidy Fussell and Aubrey Reedy.... Good Luck to Milan in the state championship!!!! We're pulling for ya..