Dyer Co. fans

ready4boro

It is funny how things can change. D-burg was by far the academic powerhouse over DC for a while. I think more kids are going from Dyersburg to DC not because of academics but because of the attitude Dyersburg has had. The holier than though attitude. Not all people are that way but many people will tell you that is how it comes off.

DC can't be that much better than when I was there and most of the teachers I had are still there. I loved school at DC pretty laid back and all my friends where there. We only had a handfull of transfers come in in 4 yrs and only 2 stayed to play ball, one had a horrific awkward injury the other came in as a senior and played half the season. Now there are kids coming in left and right and it is even bleeding into the Jr. High level. These kids are not coming for academics. Unless a kid goes to a prep school and then attends a big time college academics don't really matter that much. I now that is odd coming from a teacher but it is true. Attitude and work ethic are just as much or more valuable than the academics.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is funny how things can change. D-burg was by far the academic powerhouse over DC for a while. I think more kids are going from Dyersburg to DC not because of academics but because of the attitude Dyersburg has had. The holier than though attitude. Not all people are that way but many people will tell you that is how it comes off.

DC can't be that much better than when I was there and most of the teachers I had are still there. I loved school at DC pretty laid back and all my friends where there. We only had a handfull of transfers come in in 4 yrs and only 2 stayed to play ball, one had a horrific awkward injury the other came in as a senior and played half the season. Now there are kids coming in left and right and it is even bleeding into the Jr. High level. These kids are not coming for academics. Unless a kid goes to a prep school and then attends a big time college academics don't really matter that much. I now that is odd coming from a teacher but it is true. Attitude and work ethic are just as much or more valuable than the academics.

Yes you do have a point....maybe it is atmoshphere. And having grown up with a grandmother as a teacher and a brother who teaches....yes attitude and work ethic are a major component in life as a whole. All I know is I want my kid to go where I feel it is a better fit for her....be it academics , sports, community. School SHOULD be enjoyable to kids....socially, athletically and academically.

Here is how I see it. Not being smart alec or anything either.....just my honest opinion. This is America and I'm glad parents have choices and options to do what they feel is best for their children. Every year in madison county the private school enrollments goes up because parents pull kids from public and go private for various reasons. That's the choice of the parents. Bitterness and frustration will get you nowhere..if no rules were broken and everything is legal I don't see the problem. Bad feelings will not change anything and all it really does is take up space in someones mind over something they have no control over. Let it go and move on. If a parent makes the choice you should support the parent because in almost all cases they see it as being in the best interest of the child. If you get upset with coaches, then parents, then schools, then communities, it's a never ending thing and it grows and festers to the point of bordering on hatered (not hatered just can't thinkof the right word) and VERY HARD FEELINGS....allover something we have no control over.....Put your Trust in the parents and let it go and move on.

But are we teaching kids to go where they fit, or should we be letting them overcome some adversity and become leaders. I know many kids are becoming followers than leaders.

Most kids as well as adults are followers...very few real leaders out there....no matter what social, economic, or enviorment background people come from Leadership is normally something that isn't taught it's something ingrained in a persons make-up.

How does it get there? Yes some people take up to it better but I don't think people are born with it. Leaders can be made and followers can be made.

I can't disagree with letting people do what they want or sending their child where they think is best. But from my experience in teaching many parents are just as bad as their kids at making decisions. I am a special education teacher and when you here the saying the apple doesn't fall far from the tree it is about 90% correct.

I just don't like the fact that people are sending there kids to a place that has just sports in mind. We are turning the TSSAA into the NCAA. Might as well let coaches go and recruit kids when they are in the 7th grade and let the parents and kids choose. Do I have an answer no, should there be some rules in place I think some should be inforced, like school zoning.

Sports are being comercialized like everything else in our society, baseball was the first victim with year long travelball, so many minor league teams A,AA,AAA and the majors well can we say watered down pitching. NBA has suffered for years because if you can jump and put on a show you might be able to play. Just my opionion.

How does it get there? Yes some people take up to it better but I don't think people are born with it. Leaders can be made and followers can be made.

I can't disagree with letting people do what they want or sending their child where they think is best. But from my experience in teaching many parents are just as bad as their kids at making decisions. I am a special education teacher and when you here the saying the apple doesn't fall far from the tree it is about 90% correct.

I just don't like the fact that people are sending there kids to a place that has just sports in mind. We are turning the TSSAA into the NCAA. Might as well let coaches go and recruit kids when they are in the 7th grade and let the parents and kids choose. Do I have an answer no, should there be some rules in place I think some should be inforced, like school zoning.

Sports are being comercialized like everything else in our society, baseball was the first victim with year long travelball, so many minor league teams A,AA,AAA and the majors well can we say watered down pitching. NBA has suffered for years because if you can jump and put on a show you might be able to play. Just my opionion.

Yes leaders can be made but most have something others don't. Something about them..that special something if you will. My oldest son has that but my youngest don't. A true leader leads by example and takes charge and makes everyone around them better...in life and sports. A leader is not timid and does not always need direction. A leader is always confident in themselves and their ability. A leader will stand up when otheres will not...All these qualities apply to life and sports. Their's allways that someone who stands out from others and coaches, teachers, parents, bosses, our peers, and others recognoze that these people are different.

ready4boro, I'll disagree with you and say yankees does know what he's talking about. We may disagree on a thing or two but we would probably agree on most things between us.

beavo, if you go to Dyer Co. you should've saw him at your school the day before yesterday. He's a tall red headed kid. The DC school even gave him and his parents a tour of the school. I'm still not convinced that nothing was said to him in order to get him to come to DC to play ball but we won't talk about it.

Someone from DC told me that the kid would not have to move...WRONG! You have to live WITHIN the limits of the school. In this case it would be moving into the DC area. Whether it be Roellen, Churchton, Newbern, or wherever it may be. They then went onto tell me that there was an exception for big time athletes not having to move. Whether it's a big time athlete or a scrub it makes no difference, you have to live within the area. I was told that Andre Flowers played 4 years at DC but still lived in Lake Co... Is that not against the rules? You have to live in the area of your designated school. Exception for big-time athletes, lol.....

ready4boro, I'll disagree with you and say yankees does know what he's talking about. We may disagree on a thing or two but we would probably agree on most things between us.

beavo, if you go to Dyer Co. you should've saw him at your school the day before yesterday. He's a tall red headed kid. The DC school even gave him and his parents a tour of the school. I'm still not convinced that nothing was said to him in order to get him to come to DC to play ball but we won't talk about it.

Someone from DC told me that the kid would not have to move...WRONG! You have to live WITHIN the limits of the school. In this case it would be moving into the DC area. Whether it be Roellen, Churchton, Newbern, or wherever it may be. They then went onto tell me that there was an exception for big time athletes not having to move. Whether it's a big time athlete or a scrub it makes no difference, you have to live within the area. I was told that Andre Flowers played 4 years at DC but still lived in Lake Co... Is that not against the rules? You have to live in the area of your designated school. Exception for big-time athletes, lol.....

I always thought you had to live within the county......That is the way it always was unless there are diff. circumstances...which I DON'T have a clue what they could be. I'll ask my brother GC, maybe he will know something. I have never heard of that rule.LOL...if you talked to a kid well they aren't always on the up and up.

GC, I'm out of school... but by your description I think it is John Hudson and I agree with you saying yankees does know what he is talking about... I think this ready4boro doesn't know what exactly he is talking about! It isn't only an exception for big-time athletes I know a couple of people that lived in Gibson Co. that went to Dyer Co. High School and didn't play a single sport, but no one knows about the ones that go to DC just for academics! And those people didn't have to move!

buttttttttt that was before the school zoning was put into effect. You have to live within the zoning for the school. I know several people from Yorkville that went to school at Dyer Co. but if they were at DC during their Freshman year and then the school zoning was put into effect the students were allowed to stay. adsmom, you do have to live within the county. I wasn't saying that Roellen, Churchton, Newbern and those towns are the only ones in the limits for DC. Dyersburg and Dyer Co. may be different. A person that attends Dyer Co. may live closer to Dyersburg HS but since their outside of the city limits they could go to DC as is the way of Union City and Obion Co.. If they were within the limits they'd have to go to Dyersburg. I think the only exception would be private schools. I know people that live in Medina that attend JCS and TCA. Those are the only exceptions, I'm pretty sure...

Thanks.....You have to live in the area of your designated school. Exception for big-time athletes, lol....I agree noway would there be an exception!!!! dosen't work that way.....the only way to skirt around the rule that I can think of is living one place and using a different address from another...exapmle uncle, aunt, grandparent or whatever even though the kid still lives at home. I would bet his family moves. I hear way to many conspiracies..noway do I beleive the DC coach is cheating. I heard the same thing about Chism and the Madden kid from Arkansas that went to Bolivar., then the rumor mill cranked up that Ken Bingham was transfering to Btown and it never happened. Rudesill is still there because he never did aything wrong. I would bet my house that when all is said and done nothing illegal or unethical will have been done.

I can understand your position but I cannot understand the disdain that some former DC students/players have for the school they actually attended. It appears to me that the kids that played for Hopson or had ties to that particular time do not like the current coaching staff. The current coach for DC as far as I can tell ( and I have looked up when he coached In Missouri) has never had even a hint of wrongdoing associated with his name. He has been coaching a long time with a sterling resume to the best of my knowledge. Like I said last night I have no doubt everybody on these threads are good honest people that just happen to have disagreements from time to time. If the grass is greener on the other side almost 100% of all of us would crossover to the otherside. We don't stay in the same jobs if another employer offers us a significant pay increase. It's the same thing except it's the parents and kids getting togethere ,weighing their options , and deciding what's best for their situation. Your Ok with me and I understand I just happen to disagree on some points in this situation.