DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

Since we're going to be on the subject of etfan's top 5 for the last 5 years let me put that top 5 in the correct order.

1) Dobyns Bennett, I don't care if your a fan or not, anybody with half a brain know's who the top team has been in the past 5 yrs.

2) Morristown West, If it were not for last years performance they might have a argument for #1.

3) Tennesse High, Flip a coin here with south.

4) south, Flip a coin here with Tennessee High.

5) Hampton, Couldn't beat any of the top 4.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you brought up the college polls earlier, you of all people should know that rankings do not take into account previous years.

DUDE!

etfan stated "last 5 years" and top 5 "recent" programs! It's called reading...the mind is a terrible thing to waste. And college polls definately do take into consideration previous years...why was Tennessee ranked #3 preseason in '05? Because of the previous Cotton Bowl thrashing of Texas A&M. Although that didn't guarantee squat because they went out and flushed the season down the potty. Just like 7-6 in '05 didn't guarantee anything other than a lot hype for '06 and pumped egos that got popped before people had a chance to finish there popcorn. HEY! Maybe Mike Hamilton could use the strategy of crying about not being able to get tickets for the UT fans last year in Gainesville as an excuse to drop Florida from the schedule and then Fulmer can claim they would have won this years game and Tricitiessports can crown them SEC champs!

OK then, if we are ranking based on the upcoming potential alone I would still bump DB up. I believe they will be better than last year (even if South took the "best" players /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />) and South wasn't beating DB even during this great 3 year run. Hey but maybe you guys are on to something over there. Since you can't beat DB by building with the players that come through that great county feeder system over there, take the "best" kids that have gone through the awful city Boys Club system (that stinks and of which there is no comparison by the way) and use those to beat DB...if you can't beat em then claim you would beat em with there own players /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

DUDE!

etfan stated "last 5 years" and top 5 "recent" programs! It's called reading...the mind is a terrible thing to waste. And college polls definately do take into consideration previous years...why was Tennessee ranked #3 preseason in '05? Because of the previous Cotton Bowl thrashing of Texas A&M. Although that didn't guarantee squat because they went out and flushed the season down the potty. Just like 7-6 in '05 didn't guarantee anything other than a lot hype for '06 and pumped egos that got popped before people had a chance to finish there popcorn. HEY! Maybe Mike Hamilton could use the strategy of crying about not being able to get tickets for the UT fans last year in Gainesville as an excuse to drop Florida from the schedule and then Fulmer can claim they would have won this years game and Tricitiessports can crown them SEC champs!

OK then, if we are ranking based on the upcoming potential alone I would still bump DB up. I believe they will be better than last year (even if South took the "best" players /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />) and South wasn't beating DB even during this great 3 year run. Hey but maybe you guys are on to something over there. Since you can't beat DB by building with the players that come through that great county feeder system over there, take the "best" kids that have gone through the awful city Boys Club system (that stinks and of which there is no comparison by the way) and use those to beat DB...if you can't beat em then claim you would beat em with there own players /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I stand corrected. I obviously over looked the last 5 years part and thought he was ranking teams as he saw fit for the present. At which time one could make a case for anyone really, especially if the said teams don't play each other. Agreed that preseason college polls are somewhat based on previous years results. After the first couple of games though, that for the most part goes down the drain, ie. Michigan in '07.

I too would have to rate D-B #1 in my poll since they have pretty much owned upper east TN as of late. But, feeder programs at South are still and have always been head and shoulders above D-B's. We've had this discussion so I won't go into great detail other than this, D-B has pretty much always had better athletes than South, it's just that they didn't really learn to play the game until they got to high school.

My top 5 based on last five years would be: D-B, Mo West, South, T-High, and Hampton.

Based on present state of team and perceived future: D-B, South, T-High, Mo-West and Science Hill.

Hey!.........I just thought of something. Did you know that in the '06 game in which DB beat south 44-0 the DB running back had more TD passes than south's "all world" quarterback!

DB - 44 south - ZERO

I knew you were slow, but two years?! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I stand corrected. I obviously over looked the last 5 years part and thought he was ranking teams as he saw fit for the present. At which time one could make a case for anyone really, especially if the said teams don't play each other. Agreed that preseason college polls are somewhat based on previous years results. After the first couple of games though, that for the most part goes down the drain, ie. Michigan in '07.

I too would have to rate D-B #1 in my poll since they have pretty much owned upper east TN as of late. But, feeder programs at South are still and have always been head and shoulders above D-B's. We've had this discussion so I won't go into great detail other than this, D-B has pretty much always had better athletes than South, it's just that they didn't really learn to play the game until they got to high school.

My top 5 based on last five years would be: D-B, Mo West, South, T-High, and Hampton.

Based on present state of team and perceived future: D-B, South, T-High, Mo-West and Science Hill.

If SSHS feeder programs are so outstanding, then why are you still so far behind Maryville on the football field?

I knew you were slow, but two years?! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Well I can't talk about last years game because you'all quit. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

If SSHS feeder programs are so outstanding, then why are you still so far behind Maryville on the football field?

Its the ugly uniforms.

Several reasons..........they have better athletes, have had better coaches (GQ is one of the best coaches in the country folks, not just the state), they have a GREAT tradition, better work ethic, etc. The list could go on and on DBT. South, in the past has had a lot of kids transfer/quit the program. That's starting to turn since Stacy came on board though. We at South have a lot of the same problems you have at D-B with the kids having "better things to do" like drive around in their BMW's or getting into things they shouldn't be getting into. Success breeds success. I don't know any of the kids from Maryville, but from what I hear/read they are of a different breed. Tremendous work ethic and drive to be successful. Heck, at this point, I think they are scared to death of failing! It's a tradition. Something we here in East TN can only hope to achieve at some point. Can it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Probably not. What they have is special I imagine. Something that not too many schools in the whole United States have. Did this answer your question? Again, I still say SSHS has the best feeder system in upper East TN. If you haven't been to any county league games, check them out this fall and see what you think.

I feel since I'm the black sheep I can answer that better than VolMan. It's because Stacy is the first coach since the inception of SSHS that has had the ability or wanted to put forth the effort or both to build a championship program. JAC was a wonderful coach and had some really good years. Smith was here and gone. GJ inherited some talent and was an offensive genius but was a failure at motivation. JJ was a middle school coach at best. None of the above were championship coaches. Not even close. The optimist league coaches are TOP SHELF...nothing less. I would put them next to Maryville's system any day of the week. The middle school coaches are also TOP SHELF. Hunter Jordan in and of himself is a championship coach and is currently being wasted. We lost Mark Conkin to King who was every bit the GQ of basketball and baseball. So every Dad in South knows the program gives South the best that money can buy. Where it gets destroyed is at South. Look at the girls basketball program before it gets to South. Look at the boys basketball program before it gets to South. Look at baseball and look at track. Track has suffered a bit lately but 2 years ago and 10 years back it was TOP SHELF. Go back as far as you want. Even Robert Bingham and St. Clair gave South champions. The community is ultra rich in talent. The problem and the only problem is the South coaches and the South parents. Stacy will change that and does so on a daily basis. He never ceases to amaze me. Just when I think he has reached a plateau and is set in stone he pops a cork. He won't sit still and just keeps getting better. He is a champion. He is a winner. He will win. Yes, we believe in him. Not in the beginning. But by now we have bought into it hook, line, and sinker. He has methodically set out to rebuild the whole program. Starting down at the concrete slab. He changed everything. Wiped it clean. No remnant of what was before. And yes, he is fortunate that he has a tremendous system in place at the primary level. Any of the primary coaches in all the sports could be head coaches and some should. Stacy is methodical and takes one step at a time as he considers his mistakes along with his successes. He refuses to go backwards. Many will call him stubborn (myself included) however he learns from his mistakes. He will make South into a power. And then the potential will be seen. DB seems to be just a little bit different. GC has to jump start these young men when he gets hold of them and does a monumental job of just that. Sure they have potential. Sure many are pure bred athletes. And sure many are in championship mode when they get there but not like when they get to South. At South (at least in football) we used to lose them. And lose the edge. At DB they gain the edge. Why is that? Coaching! Well, at South the football ship is almost completely turned around and then it can steam forward because the primary level coaching is still intact and still championship bred. '08 should be a telling year. '09 is jam packed with talent so by them the wake should be white capping. Stacy learned something from GQ. He snagged that riff and will put it in his hook. So to answer your question...it takes time to build a program from scratch when everyone is kicking, screaming, and scratching all along the way. Much less to have to first get rid of the bad blood and then start with a clean slate. But Stacy has learned a little chocolate goes along way and a little sugar helps the medicine go down. We believe we will get there. Maybe we get ahead of ourselves a bit sometimes but for years we have seen the potential only to watch it go down the drain. No more.

Anyone that went to a south game the last three years knows that Curt Phillips carried them. Without Curt they were average at best. It will be interesting to see if your coach is as good as you say without Curt Phillips. I suppose that if south was the only school to be taking steps to improve their program it might make them "top shelf". The problem for south is just about everybody is trying to get better. Taking DB off your schedule will eliminate at least one embaressing loss though.

It may just be me but I think you guys are giving Stacy WAY too much credit for the Curt Phillips era. It's hard not to look good when you have a phenomenon like that behind the wheel. I truly believe that had Curt been the QB at a couple other local schools the last 4 years (not mentioning any names but one is in Kingsport 5A the other in Bristol 4A) /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> there would have been at the very least 1 Gold Ball in the tri-cities. This season will go a long way in proving me wrong...or right. And if Jeffers is as good as billed he was crazy to stay in Curts shadow all this time and not make his way across town. DB STRUGLED at the QB position last year and I don't see that changing much in 08. He could have had two years to shine instead of just one.

It may just be me but I think you guys are giving Stacy WAY too much credit for the Curt Phillips era. It's hard not to look good when you have a phenomenon like that behind the wheel. I truly believe that had Curt been the QB at a couple other local schools the last 4 years (not mentioning any names but one is in Kingsport 5A the other in Bristol 4A) /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> there would have been at the very least 1 Gold Ball in the tri-cities. This season will go a long way in proving me wrong...or right. And if Jeffers is as good as billed he was crazy to stay in Curts shadow all this time and not make his way across town. DB STRUGLED at the QB position last year and I don't see that changing much in 08. He could have had two years to shine instead of just one.

So you think Tenn High would have beaten Maryville if they would have had Curt? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />