DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

Anyone that went to a south game the last three years knows that Curt Phillips carried them. Without Curt they were average at best. It will be interesting to see if your coach is as good as you say without Curt Phillips. I suppose that if south was the only school to be taking steps to improve their program it might make them "top shelf". The problem for south is just about everybody is trying to get better. Taking DB off your schedule will eliminate at least one embaressing loss though.

According to Stacey, he feels this year will be a better team...especially defensively..

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may just be me but I think you guys are giving Stacy WAY too much credit for the Curt Phillips era. It's hard not to look good when you have a phenomenon like that behind the wheel. I truly believe that had Curt been the QB at a couple other local schools the last 4 years (not mentioning any names but one is in Kingsport 5A the other in Bristol 4A) /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> there would have been at the very least 1 Gold Ball in the tri-cities. This season will go a long way in proving me wrong...or right. And if Jeffers is as good as billed he was crazy to stay in Curts shadow all this time and not make his way across town. DB STRUGLED at the QB position last year and I don't see that changing much in 08. He could have had two years to shine instead of just one.

Another reason to feel good about South and the other DB (Boone) is that newcomers are tending to move to Colonial Heights (Warriors Path) and Gray...this area is getting an influx of people trying to escape the cost of Florida and other places...to me that bodes well for South, Boone and Volunteer...

Okay, let me play a while here...first off, Tom wasn't relegated to anything...the only change from WKIN to WGOC is the call letters, which from a corporate thought playing Grand Old Country music, fits well with WGOC...the signal and call letters were bought from JT Parker...same 1320 frequency as WKIN and the same Watts of power...no relegation...his career has been always been business decisions, as careers are for most...this is another business decision, nothing emotional...South should be able to support a radio broadcast without any difficulty...the playoff game is another matter, but my guess is: being that D-B had been on AM1320 for 20 plus years that is where the playoff game(s) would be and another business decision was made to put the South game on a station that at the time didn't have a playoff game to broadcast...I remember when I was with WKPT-AM (many moons ago), we did a couple of playoff games of other schools, as well (before Holston Valley Broadcasting expanded into Tennessee High and Science Hill games)...It is business...sometimes there are those of us with emotional ties that get to do the broadcasting (and/or writing), but for the actual "voices", the stations - it is a business...and it is good business to showcase and highlight high school student athletes; as Coach Clark has said "where else can you go to see 500 young people attempting to be great on a Friday night."

Roll Tribe Roll

Good points skunk. However, I mean relegated in the fact that Tom tried to get Citadel to broadcast DB on WGOC as opposed to KIN because of the better coverage. They would not. When the Monster came on board he tried to get DB on the Monster as he is the best game announcer in the area calling the winningest FB program in the area. Citadel wanted nothing to do with DB, they kept it on because of the advertisers Tom had...that is my opinion. But it is all in the past now...DB will survive as they have a great program...they are lucky to have Coach Clark...South is up and coming and as skunk says...they will be able to support a broadcast...I think advertisers will be eager to advertise in the Colonial Heights area...as Skunk points out it is good business, the demographics are in the area....and the area is growing...

I felt it important to say that Tom didn't jump ship and isn't a traitor. He loves the kids and coaches at DB, BUT he will do his best for South and become quite a promoter for South sports. A new era, a new direction for him. That's how you grow professionally..I wish both programs the best.

Good points skunk. However, I mean relegated in the fact that Tom tried to get Citadel to broadcast DB on WGOC as opposed to KIN because of the better coverage. They would not. When the Monster came on board he tried to get DB on the Monster as he is the best game announcer in the area calling the winningest FB program in the area. Citadel wanted nothing to do with DB, they kept it on because of the advertisers Tom had...that is my opinion. But it is all in the past now...DB will survive as they have a great program...they are lucky to have Coach Clark...South is up and coming and as skunk says...they will be able to support a broadcast...I think advertisers will be eager to advertise in the Colonial Heights area...as Skunk points out it is good business, the demographics are in the area....and the area is growing...

I felt it important to say that Tom didn't jump ship and isn't a traitor. He loves the kids and coaches at DB, BUT he will do his best for South and become quite a promoter for South sports. A new era, a new direction for him. That's how you grow professionally..I wish both programs the best.

I am puzzled as to where you think Colonial Heights is growing. When I look at a map it looks land-locked to me on at least 3 sides. Most of the subdivisions are older while all the new subdivisions being built have asked to be part of Kingsport. John Adams school will soon dominate Rock Springs and feed Robinson. The kids in Fall Creek are zoned for Central (with some in the future to DB). So where is it growing?

According to Stacey, he feels this year will be a better team...especially defensively..

Probably will be a better "team". But without Curt Phillips.

I am puzzled as to where you think Colonial Heights is growing. When I look at a map it looks land-locked to me on at least 3 sides. Most of the subdivisions are older while all the new subdivisions being built have asked to be part of Kingsport. John Adams school will soon dominate Rock Springs and feed Robinson. The kids in Fall Creek are zoned for Central (with some in the future to DB). So where is it growing?

Its growing in their heads. Like the '06 game where they lost to DB.....44 - ZERO

Did I happen to mention that south has lost to DB 13 straight games. Including the 44 - ZERO game in '06.

We play baseball yes we do, we play baseball how bout you? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Don't you just miss those cheers from the good old days?

On a more serious note, will D-B be able to house all these new students? Anyone know if they are nearing capacity?

You don't have a problem with this as a tax paying citizen of both the county and city? Assuming you do live with the city limits.

I am still amazed at South posters that think the talent at South is above average. Above average for South or DB in upper NE TN may be above the NE TN standard, but when compared to the rest of the state these schools are considered average. DB or South on an up year is average compared to most of the rest of the state. All of the metro areas are much faster and bigger. Especially compared to South. South does not even hit Knoxville teams until Region 3 in the playoffs and they get whipped. DB in Region 1 plays Knox teams during regular conference games and must contend with the Knox athletes all year. Region 1 4A and Region 2 4A are lucky because Region 3 4A could clean their clock if they played during the regular season. Region 1 4A would be doing great to have a team finish 3rd or 4th. DB must contend with KNoxville teams in the regular season and Chattanooga and Nashville teams early in the playoffs. DB in the semis is much harder then South in the Semis. South has a cake walk and has no excuse for not making it every year to the semis. If South was ever to make it past Region 3, have fun with the Nashville area teams. But, it would be nice if DB could play teams that stop short of Knoxville and play a Knoxville area teams in the semis like Maryville. 4A in Region 1 & 2 are really below average when compared to the rest of the state. The 1 exception was Morristown West when they were up. Other then that, the top 4 teams in Region 3 wax any Region 1 or 2 team.. If not Region 3, come on to Nashville and Memphis and see. Talking about about ultra South athletes makes me laugh. Even DB talking about it is a stretch. Get out and see the rest of the state. Sorry, I live in Nashville (love Kingsport and the area) and I will be shocked if any Region 1 team (4A or 5A) wins it all. Forget coaching, throw it all out the door. There is just more talent in other area. I hate it, but it is true. Don't wish to accept it, but it is true. The coaching here is probably better, but not that much better. Upper East TN teams, even with the perfect coach might win the big one once every 50 years. Other areas just have better athletes. And if you think South has better athletes then Maryville (which I think is laughable) you should see Memphis Melrose and Nashville Hillsboro, those schools would beat most Region 1 teams with their JV even though their coaching and participation is not near South's level. Anyone that wishes to take me up on seeing this for themselves can come stay with me, I have an extra bedroom. Nashville and Memphis teams are oure atheletes, but the crowds are not nearly as big as back home. The offer stands.