DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

Yes, I guess you took my advice in that last post. Just shut down the south thread and join the DB thread. After all, DB is all you want to talk about. Have u-all been over to take a look at the new field? Maybe you'll get to walk on it at Fun Fest. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

You obviously didn't hear...........we're taking the new field. Players first, radio guy next, then field. Keep up! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compusatman,

You know I love you but gotta disagree big time on this one. Maryville on average has more athletes then South, DB, or TN High. That is just the way it is demographics or whatever, it is just like that. True they don't turn out tons of big D1 athletes (neither does the tri cities), but any kid that plays in high school that goes on to play in college is a star at the high school level. Maryville cranks em out, though many are NAIA, D2, or D3. Maryville is also the best coached public (and maybe any school period) in Tennessee. They really play as a team and spread it around. That is why it is hard to stand out on that team and also why is is almost impossible to beat them. They are awesome athletes, they are coached by some of the best, they are in better shape then most, and they know how to win. These factors allow them to dominate and Maryville usually does not have record setting individual players in games, they really play team ball. I have gone to a Maryville game yearly for about a decade. The KNoxville area as a whole has faster, bigger and stronger players when compared to upper east tn teams. That is a big reason our region has problems in the playoffs.

Bud, I know you understood my post but in simple terms I'm saying that to win 60 games straight with the level of talent I saw takes some kind of coaching and some kind of system. I'm not disputing where the talent is concentrated. I'm not trying to say we have more talent than any other region. I not trying to say Maryville has no talent. I am saying that their talent was no better than our talent. But their system and their coaching is light years ahead of us. Stacy will go down as being a great coach before all is said and done but GC has been there a long time. GQ is doing something drastically different. Maroonandgrey alluded to the fact that it is the spoiled brat mentality of the mellinium. In other words it's just a space in time in our society. Well what do you do about that? Obviously GQ threw out the politically correct textbook and went back to old school technique. You see, I refuse to accept that as you say we have a talent base that is less intense. Our numbers are less. Our everything is less. That is just an unacceptable notion in my book. You say, well it is fact Comp. Get over it. And I say, somebody somewhere is as furious as I am about it and has the ability to fix it. Is that Stacy? Time will tell. I do agree that Maryville has had some wonderful athletes. But look at Red Bank, Riverdale, Catholic, DB...etc. I mean I agree that the bulk of the top shelf athletes are not in NET but a large part of that notion is press. I can think of many local athletes that would have been world beaters if they were in the Middle Tn system. But that is getting away from my point. And that is NET has athletes. NET has some very good coaches. But a GQ can take anything handed him and turn it into a jewel. I want to know how it's done. You say it's a little Black Art...and maybe so but there is a method. And if that method begins at 5am then OK that is one part. But there's more.

DB - 45 south - ZEROin case you didn't here, that was.......................DB - 45 south - ZERO

Waco I came to the DB thread because you follow me and Volman everywhere we go. Like a little lost dog looking for somebody to take him home. We go to the South thread...here you come. We go somewhere else...here you come. You know...I kind of missed you while you were gone but you know what? I over it. So I figure I will stay on the DB thread and save you from traveling. Do me a favor...take a two day vacation. That's all. Just a couple of days. Have fun.

Bud, I know you understood my post but in simple terms I'm saying that to win 60 games straight with the level of talent I saw takes some kind of coaching and some kind of system. I'm not disputing where the talent is concentrated. I'm not trying to say we have more talent than any other region. I not trying to say Maryville has no talent. I am saying that their talent was no better than our talent. But their system and their coaching is light years ahead of us. Stacy will go down as being a great coach before all is said and done but GC has been there a long time. GQ is doing something drastically different. Maroonandgrey alluded to the fact that it is the spoiled brat mentality of the mellinium. In other words it's just a space in time in our society. Well what do you do about that? Obviously GQ threw out the politically correct textbook and went back to old school technique. You see, I refuse to accept that as you say we have a talent base that is less intense. Our numbers are less. Our everything is less. That is just an unacceptable notion in my book. You say, well it is fact Comp. Get over it. And I say, somebody somewhere is as furious as I am about it and has the ability to fix it. Is that Stacy? Time will tell. I do agree that Maryville has had some wonderful athletes. But look at Red Bank, Riverdale, Catholic, DB...etc. I mean I agree that the bulk of the top shelf athletes are not in NET but a large part of that notion is press. I can think of many local athletes that would have been world beaters if they were in the Middle Tn system. But that is getting away from my point. And that is NET has athletes. NET has some very good coaches. But a GQ can take anything handed him and turn it into a jewel. I want to know how it's done. You say it's a little Black Art...and maybe so but there is a method. And if that method begins at 5am then OK that is one part. But there's more.

I kinda think it goes even deeper than that. I'll bet if you investigate Maryville's feeder school(s) and even their boy's club programs, you will find out they are top notch. I believe they are taught the fundamentals of football at a very young age and by the time they get to high school they have it almost perfected. Their is some wealth in that part of the state also. I understand Coach Fulmer lives there. Money buys good facilities and equipment which is key.

I kinda think it goes even deeper than that. I'll bet if you investigate Maryville's feeder school(s) and even their boy's club programs, you will find out they are top notch. I believe they are taught the fundamentals of football at a very young age and by the time they get to high school they have it almost perfected. Their is some wealth in that part of the state also. I understand Coach Fulmer lives there. Money buys good facilities and equipment which is key.

I tell everyone that a huge part of Maryville's success is their youth programs. I wouldn't care to bet that they have the best feeder programs around. Maryville has 5 youth programs. Lil Rebs,Southerners,Rebs,Cubs and Bears.

Lil Rebs. The Lil Rebs are coached by David Hunt. Hunt has coached 12 seasons for the Lil Rebs. He has had a lot of the same coaches since he started. The Lil Rebs are a 7-8 year old Grasshopper team. After those kids get through playing for the Lil Rebs they go to the Southerners.

Southerners. Joey Winders has coached this team for nearly 25 years. He has had a lot of the same coaches in that time frame. The Southerners are a 9-10 year old Pee Wee team. After those kids get through playing for the Southerners they go to the Rebs.

Rebs. The Rebs are a 11-12 year old Midget team. Don Sentell has been coaching the Rebs for 42 years. Junior Masingo has been with Don the whole time. Don is a legend in youth football.

One Maryville football organization is the Lil Rebs,Southerners and Rebs organization. The other Maryville organization is the Cubs/Bears organization. Danny Maples coached for over 25 years but quit to watch his son Tyler play football.

Cubs. The Cubs are a 9-10 year old Pee Wee team. Don Myers has coached for many years in this organization. He took over as Cubs coach after Danny Maples hung it up.

Bears. The Bears are a 11-12 year old Midget program. Ricky Maples is the head coach for this team. Ricky has been coaching for over 25 years.

Watching the Southerners take on the Cubs or the Rebs take on the Bears is youth football at its finest.

All these kids group together at the Middle School. George Quarles and MMS Head Coach Jay Malone got together and MMS runs the same offense the High School does.

Bingo DBT. I've said for years, D-B's feeder system stinks. Some scolded me for saying so, but it's true.