DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

Boy that one hurts. I can't imagine what happened to drive Tom anywhere, much less to a rival like Sullivan South. Tom is very aware of the rivalries versus South and Science Hill. He has enjoyed many private conversations where he was let into the "inner circle" of how the various coaches feel when playing those teams. I can understand a radio station switching here or there based on economics, but I can't believe that we let the best play by play man from here to Knoxville just walk away. Does anyone have the real story on what happened here?

He needed some excitement in his life...plus...we got better ceegars.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy that one hurts. I can't imagine what happened to drive Tom anywhere, much less to a rival like Sullivan South. Tom is very aware of the rivalries versus South and Science Hill. He has enjoyed many private conversations where he was let into the "inner circle" of how the various coaches feel when playing those teams. I can understand a radio station switching here or there based on economics, but I can't believe that we let the best play by play man from here to Knoxville just walk away. Does anyone have the real story on what happened here?

There are quotes on here about the WHCB jumping ship and others emailing the radio station to complain. You are going in the wrong direction. Tom made the move to WHCB because it was the right move professionally. His morning show was relegated to WGOC (Citadel gave away the rights to WKIN). When he signed on with 91.5 he felt that DB would be happy because of the increased coverage area. You would be able to literally sit in the stands in Jeff Co. and listen to the DB broadcast... but DB balked. The AD felt Tom went over his head. Egos got in the way. Citadel made it seem like they were being shortchanged by Tom when in reality Citadel has always kept DB on the back burner with 5000 watts. One can??™t hear the station at night past John B Dennis. Citadel may tell you different but they have a station that touts itself as the Sports Monster but it broadcasts Tennessee High Football over SHHS and DB. That makes no sense, especially when they had DB in the fold. The winningest HS FB program and I think BB program in the state but you put them on the smaller station? Tom went to the Citadel brass to cover the DB-Farragut playoff game in 2007 (since Tennessee High was finished in Football) on the Monster but they declined and went with South-Maryville. You can make your own conclusion as to the love at Citadel for Dobyns-Bennett.

It boils down to this. Being a public school, DB cannot say who can and can??™t broadcast their games. With Tom's move it puts 3, sometimes 4 stations providing coverage since Citadel wants to be a player. What a problem to have. However, DB does control the the press box. So, who gets to use the press box? No one will take a stand. Another dilemma is an away game, who gets to do what at away games? Most press boxes don??™t have enough room for one visiting station, let alone three. Ever been to Campbell County ? There is a lot of animosity and jealousy of DB at other schools and no one was going to be sympathetic to three stations for DB. One, sometimes two, will be left out. Tom, as do the others, has advertisers. If he doesn??™t get to the visiting stadium by 2pm for a 7.30pm kickoff he could be out in the cold, literally. The last thing an AD wants to do on a Friday night is referee bickering stations representing the other team. And, if you don??™t do the games, you owe your advertisers.

Tom is 3 time AP broadcaster of the year from covering DB sports. He is a good game announcer. I dare say only Mike Keith might be a bit better and he does the Titans. He is much better than Kesling. You can??™t compare WKPT or WGOC's announcers to Tom. Lord that just isn??™t fair. He has been offered college gigs but stays in the area because of his youngest child and his wife. Quite frankly, he is the best live game announcer in East Tennessee and he was doing DB.

Tom did more than the other announcers as he promoted the kids at DB. He was up at 7am on Saturday after a game on Friday night doing the Band Fruit Sale or he would cover a wrestling match or a volleyball game or Robinson vs. Sevier. He covered the band's 9/11 tribute. He would interview the band boosters at halftime or the track coach to help that coach promote his or her sport. He was all about the kids and promoting the school. Why would he just "jump ship?"

What South gets is a guy who will promote the teams and the kids. He will give them 100%. The fans will get a quality broadcast on a quality station. Tom is turning his back on no one. But he is turning the page in his career. Tom is a pro and he keeps his eye on the ultimate prize. He knew three stations could be an issue but he had to do what was right for him in the big picture with his morning show. DB could have come out and said these are the one or two announcers we will allow in the booth. They didn??™t. Maybe they couldn??™t. But you would think that covering a team for 17+ years providing nothing but quality coverage for the kids would build equity and loyalty. Tom interpreted the lack of response and became pro-active in his approach to his future. He had to as he has advertisers to think about. You must sell advertising now for the fall season. Some fans have written the station and called him a traitor and the like but it isn??™t that at all. Not even close. To think he or the station is jumping ship just isn't the true story. Wes Moricle would not have let this happen.

Also, Tom obviously has a LOT of friends in the South community so it's not like he hates us like most D-B people. So now he can lose all the drama, sit back and watch some good football, take it easy Southern style and have some good cigars like Comp said. Welcome Tom, a true Southern gentleman!

I don't want to be a bomb thrower here, but I REALLY hope that Daniels isn't at fault for this. The not so dirty little secret is that those in the football community aren't exactly wild about him and his "support" for GC and the football team. Now if he has let a guy go that literally devoted 65 hours a week to the D-B/Kingsport community.......well, you finish the thought.

Also, Tom obviously has a LOT of friends in the South community so it's not like he hates us like most D-B people. So now he can lose all the drama, sit back and watch some good football, take it easy Southern style and have some good cigars like Comp said. Welcome Tom, a true Southern gentleman!

I'll go on record and make a prediction. Tom won't stay with South for more than a year. It makes no economic sense. He will lose probably 80% of his customers, and that just won't cut it in radio.

I'll go on record and make a prediction. Tom won't stay with South for more than a year. It makes no economic sense. He will lose probably 80% of his customers, and that just won't cut it in radio.

The economics would dictate that he come on board before we win a state championship not after. Maybe he sees potential there. Maybe he realistically believes it is a move up. Maybe he knows something you don't. And that something prompted him to change horses in the middle of the stream. Would he destroy his career to spite someone else? Pretty powerful grudge.

Anyway, back to football. I would like to know if any of the rising Seniors attended Nike combines? Surely Jamie and Justin did? And also...what is the word from the players on the turf. Surely somebody has a kid that plays and has some comment. Really curious to hear what it feels like.

Anyway, back to football. I would like to know if any of the rising Seniors attended Nike combines? Surely Jamie and Justin did? And also...what is the word from the players on the turf. Surely somebody has a kid that plays and has some comment. Really curious to hear what it feels like.

I've heared mixed feelings on the turf.Some kids like it much better than the old field,for sure the field at the track

The economics would dictate that he come on board before we win a state championship not after. Maybe he sees potential there. Maybe he realistically believes it is a move up. Maybe he knows something you don't. And that something prompted him to change horses in the middle of the stream. Would he destroy his career to spite someone else? Pretty powerful grudge.

Yeah, it's always a big career move to cut your listenership in half now isn't it? I nominate you for MO-RON of the week for that brilliant observation. And you ain't winning any state championships unless they move Maryville to another state.

Havent heard any names about attending Nike camps, obviously since Jamie wasnt QB last yr he didnt get many invites as a QB to some of the top summer camps, but GC always sends the QB's to either furman or wake forest for a weekend plus they usually have 7 on 7's against Byrnes,Sc down there which is far better competition than anyone around here. I would say Crawford is tied up in baseball until July anway, i would love to hear about slyvester going to some football camps this summer, he can be a big play Wr for us this year, its very important to get our passing game going early this year, to avoid teams stacking 8 in the box to stop chris.