summer ball verses high school ball...

bgmlrh

Piratedad, you had better figure out a way to get to your daughter's games. It really isn't any more expensive than travel ball was. It sure is exciting and you know yourself, when that time comes, you will be dying to get to those games. Go to as many as you can because there will be some that you just can't get to---one that is on a weekday and you have to work and where they are playing is at least an 8 hour drive.

The one thing that you won't have to worry about and that is the level of competition because each team comes loaded and you get so into wanting "your" team to do well and it is really exciting. Will your daughter be a freshman and which college so we can pull for her?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Piratedad, best of luck to your daughter. We will watch the website and keep up with her games. Like I told you before, get to those games. When she is out of college, you won't regret any of the time (or money) spent getting to her games. It really will be a treat to yourself. You will have so much fun and you will probably be their biggest fan and supporter.

• 2 months later...

I got to meet some of you this fall and saw how each one is helping get your high school programs better and would like to hear if things have gotten better or no change. In my case some better but no change in coach feels about fastpitch. She still feels more for basketball than softball. I have started working on getting lights and fixing up the field. I hope to have alot of things ready for distirct tournament which I just found out that we host it this year instead of 2004. I was hoping to have a concession stand done but will have to settle with a Pespi Wagon. But what every it takes.

Come and see what Community High Softball is doing in 2003!!! :o

• 1 month later...

I have been to alot of fast pitch ball games in alot of states. I have talked to alot of coaches of high school and college, also have gotten to know a few colege coaches. They tell me that it is different in every state.

In tennessee they are starting to look more at travel ball players. because they are the pick of the best from the high schools teams in most cases.

If they are stand outs in travel ball, most of the time they are above the average player. Not that all of them are not good, they got to be good just to play at this level.

Another reason is because a lot of high school coaches are just coaches of the team not the player. They dont know how to correct a player when they are in a slump. That is when a player really need a coach that can fix their problem right there. or help them through it.

Travel ball coaches, coach for 2 reasons. their daughter or the love of the game. the ones with the love of the game seem to be better coaches and are able to help a player through their ups and downs.

I get this from talking to all kinds of coaches. Not my own opinion. Lately i am starting to agree with them. In Tennessee anyway,

I myself love to watch fastpitch at any level or age. I think it is one of the best sports out there. U can get hooked on it very easy if you like sports of any kind.

IMO-it depends solely on the program,esp. in high school,our program(for lack of a better term) stinks,the coaching just isnt there and nothing can be done,b/c a coach gets picked as long as theyre friends with the AD,and its sad,b/c we have a couple of qualified people who could coach,but arent tight with the AD,so for me,travel ball is my best bet,and high school ball is like little league.

I understand what you are saying here about travel ball teams. I also understand what you are saying about High School coaches. But, if college scouts don,t look at HS teams that are in the thick of things year in and year out, then they are going to miss out on some good players. There is always 1-3 good players on each and every team. I think that a HS coach's team who is in the mix most of the time, says alot about the coach. Alot also depends on location and local facilities for teaching.

The bad thing about travel ball is it is so expensive to try and stay apart of, at least it has been for me.

You are right about travel ball being so expensive and 1 to 3 players on the high school team. That 1-3 players most of the time have parents that can afford the cost of lessons for 4-6 years, so usually that 1-3 players are playing travel ball.

Now the bad part is that there are just as good players ,either on that team or another team or teams that are just as good as that 1-3 group, But cant afford the cost of all the lessons or travel ball. So sad that there is a bunch of very good ball players that are getting left behind because of cost.

SO it is down to this most of the time , those who have get, to travel,lessons,up to date bats, all the good gear, those who cant afford get left behind, what ashame.

I feel sorry for that bunch of gifted players. that cant afford what it takes to give them equal chance as others

I agree totally with you,im one of those lucky,blessed girls whose parents have supported throughout this,and ive been taking lessons at club k for 6 years,get alot of up to date equipment,and play travel ball,no matter what the cost,and we are FAR from rich,and i feel bad for those who wwant to be doing what i am,but parents cant afford it,being finanacally,or timely,but im just gonna say,to those who are at that point,dont give up,dont quit-you can get there,wherever you wanna be if you work hard,and have heart,it doesnt take money,top of the line equipment or 6 years of lessons to work hard.I thank God I have the opportunity,b/c with the program like it is out here,i wouldnt have a shot,b/c the mess would bring me down and get me fed up with it.