Thomas Greer

yankees8589

Yea...Think about this too...This team could have also had Blake Davis and Logan Parker(both played at Dyersburg last season) as well last season,had they stayed at OC...Greer,Gilliam,Davis,Parker,Gibson,Lee,Harner,Owen,Smith and Boucher..Not a bad 10 man rotation...

man i couldn't imagine...i know this post is about Greer but wow! the woulda coulda shouldas of Obion Central. If this team was actually that they woulda been something to contend with.You add the King kid who quit and WOW! I think they would have pushed for state easy. Just proves that OC still has talent, thing is they don't always play there /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just typical obion county. You have certain people that run the show down here. You should have seen the girls team 4 years ago probably the best class that's ever been thru that school. Holloway, ledbetter, gilliam, greer, & a couple of others that I can't remember their names & those certain people ran them all off. Purple & gold you probably know those certain people. Coach Greer was a heck of a coach & person. My son played with Thomas in Junior high & coach Greer & myself used to talk about How Thomas & Nick Gilliam would be hard to handle once they reached high school.

That's just typical obion county. You have certain people that run the show down here. You should have seen the girls team 4 years ago probably the best class that's ever been thru that school. Holloway, ledbetter, gilliam, greer, & a couple of others that I can't remember their names & those certain people ran them all off. Purple & gold you probably know those certain people. Coach Greer was a heck of a coach & person. My son played with Thomas in Junior high & coach Greer & myself used to talk about How Thomas & Nick Gilliam would be hard to handle once they reached high school.

Well,Holloway(Dyersburg) and Ledbetter(South Fulton) went to junior high at Ridgemont with my oldest son...They would have been nice additions to the Lady Rebel program especially seeing as how Holloway ended up with a scholarship to Ole Miss.....Yes,there is a power play going on to some extent at OC but we would be a little naive to think it's not going on at Union City also....Coach Greer is a good person..If I remember right,the problem with him to some of the folks at OC was he didn't want to practice enough...Of course he was coming off the heels of Whitby so NOBODY could have practiced enough....Then,you had Barry Jones who I guess wanted to practice too much..Of course there were some other problems with him too which is the reason he isn't there anymore....

Back to Greer though...I haven't seen him since he went on to West Carroll but I could tell in junior high that he had potential..I'm glad to see him doing well..Maybe I'll get to see him play in some of the camps my son will be in this summer...

You talk about practice too much I think these kids today are driven too far & not given a break from the game, case in point Nick Gilliam probably wouldn't be hurt right now if a certain game wouldn't have happened. Too much not enough who knows.

Well,Holloway(Dyersburg) and Ledbetter(South Fulton) went to junior high at Ridgemont with my oldest son...They would have been nice additions to the Lady Rebel program especially seeing as how Holloway ended up with a scholarship to Ole Miss.....Yes,there is a power play going on to some extent at OC but we would be a little naive to think it's not going on at Union City also....Coach Greer is a good person..If I remember right,the problem with him to some of the folks at OC was he didn't want to practice enough...Of course he was coming off the heels of Whitby so NOBODY could have practiced enough....Then,you had Barry Jones who I guess wanted to practice too much..Of course there were some other problems with him too which is the reason he isn't there anymore....

Back to Greer though...I haven't seen him since he went on to West Carroll but I could tell in junior high that he had potential..I'm glad to see him doing well..Maybe I'll get to see him play in some of the camps my son will be in this summer...

You have got to be kidding about not practicing enough. I have never heard of such a thing. As a sidebar Coach Greer is a good person and I would like to share he gave me a chance to play for him at JSCC after sitting for two years away from bball P.S. We practiced before our 8 o'clock classes and from 2-4 in the afternoons....

You talk about practice too much I think these kids today are driven too far & not given a break from the game, case in point Nick Gilliam probably wouldn't be hurt right now if a certain game wouldn't have happened. Too much not enough who knows.

You are probably right but if you want to compete you got to play and play alot.....I'm sure Nick was going to play AAU ball this summer though....That's probably 35-40 games or more,so what is enough and what is too much??.You know??...And that would have had nothing to do with Obion Central playing games....

You have got to be kidding about not practicing enough. I have never heard of such a thing. As a sidebar Coach Greer is a good person and I would like to share he gave me a chance to play for him at JSCC after sitting for two years away from bball P.S. We practiced before our 8 o'clock classes and from 2-4 in the afternoons....

From what I understand,some of the people at OC thought he should be in the gym more with the kids....To me he just didn't want to live in the gym...You can't fault a man with a family for that.....But then again you have to be in the gym alot...The question is how do you balance too much and not enough....Teams with less talent seem to have to work harder and longer to compete....

Unbelievable comments. Topic has gone all over the place, including questioning the character and work ethic of one of the best coaches in West Tennessee. Look at his influences:

Who is the coach at Martin Westview - Brian Haskins, former player for Coach Greer at Camden and JSCC (and All-American at Lambuth)

Who is the coach at Camden - Shane Morris, former player for Coach Greer at Camden and JSCC

Who is the coach at Perry County - David Lee, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC

Who is the coach at Clifton - Eric Hampton, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC

Who is the coach at Waverly Middle - Wes Malone, former assistant at JSCC

Who is the coach at Trenton - Tim Allen, former long time assistant coach for Coach Greer

Who is the coach in Dayton Ohio - Jackie Williams (Union City) and former player at JSCC for Coach Greer

Who is an assistant coach in the Memphis School system - Malcolm McCreight, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC and later player at Lamar, which played Duke in the NCAA tourny.

Who is the assistant coach at Crighton College - Ernie Ryans, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC and followed him to Mississippi Delta college when Coach Greer left JSCC, along with Monte Crutcher.

Ask Brent Johnson from Huntingdon who played pro ball overseas how he feels about Coach Greer.

Ask the players who stuck it out in Obion who played for Coach Greer how they feel

Ask the players from Huntingdon, Camden, Milan, JSCC, Mississippi Delta, and West Carroll how they feel about Coach Greer.

Ask Anthony Moore from Fayette County, or Tron Sain, or Shelico Franklin, or Derrick Rhodes from Bolivar how they feel about Coach Greer.

Ask Monte Crutcher, Dennis Douglass (NCAA D2 All-American) Ernie Ryans, Malcolm McCreight - all from Memphis how they feel about Coach Greer

Or how about the bankers, lawyers, doctors, business owners - including car dealerships, restaurant franchises, etc that he coached or taught over the years.

And you get on here and say what some people in Obion had to say. Unbelievable. Society is always looking for someone to blame when they don't succeed.

BTW - as I said early in this thread, Thomas may be the best of all the upcoming Juniors when it all is said and done.

Unbelievable comments. Topic has gone all over the place, including questioning the character and work ethic of one of the best coaches in West Tennessee. Look at his influences:

Who is the coach at Martin Westview - Brian Haskins, former player for Coach Greer at Camden and JSCC (and All-American at Lambuth)

Who is the coach at Camden - Shane Morris, former player for Coach Greer at Camden and JSCC

Who is the coach at Perry County - David Lee, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC

Who is the coach at Clifton - Eric Hampton, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC

Who is the coach at Waverly Middle - Wes Malone, former assistant at JSCC

Who is the coach at Trenton - Tim Allen, former long time assistant coach for Coach Greer

Who is the coach in Dayton Ohio - Jackie Williams (Union City) and former player at JSCC for Coach Greer

Who is an assistant coach in the Memphis School system - Malcolm McCreight, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC and later player at Lamar, which played Duke in the NCAA tourny.

Who is the assistant coach at Crighton College - Ernie Ryans, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC and followed him to Mississippi Delta college when Coach Greer left JSCC, along with Monte Crutcher.

Ask Brent Johnson from Huntingdon who played pro ball overseas how he feels about Coach Greer.

Ask the players who stuck it out in Obion who played for Coach Greer how they feel

Ask the players from Huntingdon, Camden, Milan, JSCC, Mississippi Delta, and West Carroll how they feel about Coach Greer.

Ask Anthony Moore from Fayette County, or Tron Sain, or Shelico Franklin, or Derrick Rhodes from Bolivar how they feel about Coach Greer.

Ask Monte Crutcher, Dennis Douglass (NCAA D2 All-American) Ernie Ryans, Malcolm McCreight - all from Memphis how they feel about Coach Greer

Or how about the bankers, lawyers, doctors, business owners - including car dealerships, restaurant franchises, etc that he coached or taught over the years.

And you get on here and say what some people in Obion had to say. Unbelievable. Society is always looking for someone to blame when they don't succeed.

BTW - as I said early in this thread, Thomas may be the best of all the upcoming Juniors when it all is said and done.

Haha Puff you have really followed Coach Greer. Thanks for the insight on Coaches ex players and coaches. I was wondering about some of those players. I played with Dennis, Monta, Ernie, and Anthony under Coach Greer myself (23-6 record) and presently coaching in memphis also. I posted my comments earlier about Coach and I know he will continue to improve his son's stock as well as West Carroll

Back to the topic....Which was Thomas Greer....

I saw the kid play in the game against Germantown....This won't be really a fair assessment(saying that up front)...His team was way outclassed...Greer is about all West Carroll has and Germantown has alot of kids with more athletic ability than Greer has...He was basically out there by himself...He didn't do a whole lot...But on the other hand he couldn't..G-Town knew who they had to stop and they did....But by the same token,if he is to make it to the next level he will have to be able to play with this type of athlete(athletes like G-Town had) and much better...He has a ways to go...

Unbelievable comments. Topic has gone all over the place, including questioning the character and work ethic of one of the best coaches in West Tennessee. Look at his influences:Who is the coach at Martin Westview - Brian Haskins, former player for Coach Greer at Camden and JSCC (and All-American at Lambuth)Who is the coach at Camden - Shane Morris, former player for Coach Greer at Camden and JSCCWho is the coach at Perry County - David Lee, former player for Coach Greer at JSCCWho is the coach at Clifton - Eric Hampton, former player for Coach Greer at JSCCWho is the coach at Waverly Middle - Wes Malone, former assistant at JSCCWho is the coach at Trenton - Tim Allen, former long time assistant coach for Coach GreerWho is the coach in Dayton Ohio - Jackie Williams (Union City) and former player at JSCC for Coach GreerWho is an assistant coach in the Memphis School system - Malcolm McCreight, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC and later player at Lamar, which played Duke in the NCAA tourny.Who is the assistant coach at Crighton College - Ernie Ryans, former player for Coach Greer at JSCC and followed him to Mississippi Delta college when Coach Greer left JSCC, along with Monte Crutcher.Ask Brent Johnson from Huntingdon who played pro ball overseas how he feels about Coach Greer.Ask the players who stuck it out in Obion who played for Coach Greer how they feelAsk the players from Huntingdon, Camden, Milan, JSCC, Mississippi Delta, and West Carroll how they feel about Coach Greer.Ask Anthony Moore from Fayette County, or Tron Sain, or Shelico Franklin, or Derrick Rhodes from Bolivar how they feel about Coach Greer.Ask Monte Crutcher, Dennis Douglass (NCAA D2 All-American) Ernie Ryans, Malcolm McCreight - all from Memphis how they feel about Coach GreerOr how about the bankers, lawyers, doctors, business owners - including car dealerships, restaurant franchises, etc that he coached or taught over the years. And you get on here and say what some people in Obion had to say. Unbelievable. Society is always looking for someone to blame when they don't succeed. BTW - as I said early in this thread, Thomas may be the best of all the upcoming Juniors when it all is said and done.

Very good post and I agrre with all you said. Sounds like alot of politics at OC to me.

Haha Puff you have really followed Coach Greer. Thanks for the insight on Coaches ex players and coaches. I was wondering about some of those players. I played with Dennis, Monta, Ernie, and Anthony under Coach Greer myself (23-6 record) and presently coaching in memphis also. I posted my comments earlier about Coach and I know he will continue to improve his son's stock as well as West Carroll

Doyou know Michael Yarbrough?????

Greer has been playing agaisnt athletes better than Germantown has to offer for the last two months and has been more than holding his own. I am going to say this for about the 500th time. Greer still has two more years of high school. He is very good now and will be MUCH MUCH better in two years.